Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geezlike, you guys are brave leaving your doggos in the house while you are out..... I would come home to thousands in damage after 10mins away. I keep the warzone to my backyard - while we are home the dogs have free roam of the house, although they are never further than 2 meters behind me at any point.

Ja nee look Enzo would destroy the house.. at least this was limited to his mattress in his crate..but after the last disaster and trips to the vet because he ate something odd in the garden we can't take the chance of free roam in the garden again.. plus the crate training is needed when we need to put him away for some or other reason...like when I have workers here etc..so this afternoon will be fun when they come and clean our couches [emoji85]

To add he was very good in the crate the weekend when he wasn't allowed out during training sessions... but in the house with strangers here is going to be interesting.

Edited by Gen

The mutt takes his guarding very seriously. In our previous house he managed to break the cottage pane four times telling people to bugger off.

Now we have safety glass fitted and customised burglar bars to stop him lunging at the window.

He spends most of his day in this position looking after us

post-11947-0-83784900-1575973595_thumb.jpg

The mutt takes his guarding very seriously. In our previous house he managed to break the cottage pane four times telling people to bugger off.

Now we have safety glass fitted and customised burglar bars to stop him lunging at the window.

He spends most of his day in this position looking after us

Aaaw.. good boy.

Aaaw.. good boy.

We have great difficulty in convincing new friends that's he's actually a big softy once you are inside the house. All they see is a very angry set of teeth when they first arrive.

We have great difficulty in convincing new friends that's he's actually a big softy once you are inside the house. All they see is a very angry set of teeth when they first arrive.

Ha ha ha I can imagine.

We are actually wondering how Enzo will react to when hubby gets home on Sunday...hasn't seen him in a few months ..and since the last time he saw him Enzo discovered his bark and is really quite protective of the boys and me... sure he will look at him weird and then cuddle him to death[emoji23][emoji23]

Edited by Gen

May I introduce to you, the people of Hubland:

DeLeuwenjagt Penny

companion and running partner c67d0ecf0d5cec04054431523e936ff0.jpg

Aaaw

although they are never further than 2 meters behind me at any point.

Mine bump into the back of my legs if I stop unexpectedly but the worst is i often wear flip flops around the house and my male dog is so close to me that he inevitably stands on the sole of the flip flop when my foot is up if that makes sense.

So they are working on Enzo staying when my son steps with his right foot because in competition their are no double commands allowed (eg. he can't say "sit, stay").. so the dog learns to stay when he walks away with his right foot... he is still reinforcing the down (and sit, stand etc) command for now (of course in competition you can't reinforce the command..but still long before they do any competition..at least year..think min age is 18months for BH)..but Enzo is such a clever boy and they are doing so well, (they had to unlearn stay..which Enzo has seemed to do quicker than my son[emoji85][emoji23])

https://www.instagram.com/p/B56HkqvnIVwkF45fDIIh8Mfo7-Adf3G5cTFMqE0/?igshid=1klt5rx36xb9d

So we've been having some fun and games trying to adopt a new dog  :cursing: .  My Wife used to run with our Sharpei X but he's getting on a bit - close to 11 now, and he's also had a few cancerous growths cut out, so we do think he deserves a nice retirement.  Our other rescue will not walk on a lead (we gave up trying years ago) and in any case we suspect she was a caged dog, so any barking of other dogs and she goes into a panic and runs wild so we have to be very careful.  She's also very attached to the Sharpei, so we figured it's time to introduce a small puppy so that instead of 2 becoming 1 one day, 3 becomes 2 and all the good habits have been carried over to the new pup.

So off to the SPCA in Booysens we go on Saturday because we have seen Taz - a nice GSD X - hours drive to there from Pretoria.  All good until we see their rules:

1. Both of our existing dogs must be brought to the SPCA from Pretoria for a meet and greet - the Rescue doesn't travel at all, will be totally useless when she hears the other dogs barking, and there's a good chance she will panic and bolt.  So no says me and the wife - can we arrange to have the dog brought to Pretoria so we do the meeting there.  Absolutely not says the SPCA.  Can you not do an "inter dog transfer" to SPCA Pretoria so it's not an hour-fifteen drive?  No - the dog is booked into Booysens, so it's not allowed to leave.
  2. We need to do a home inspection - we've been checked out by another Rescue organisation in Pretoria - they are happy.  So can we not give the SPCA their number?  No says the SPCA it needs to be someone from the SPCA - and please be patient they are all volunteers so we can't say when exactly they will come.  Oh and to reserve the Dog, will be a non-refundable R500 please. No problem - we like the dog so we pay.
  3. Proof of address please - a bit complicated - we have just bought the house and the Deed of Sale takes 8 weeks, so will this proof of purchase of the house from the Lawyer do?  No - we need your Municipal account.  The transfer only went though on the 1st November so here is my proof of application to open a Tshwane account - will this be ok?  No sorry we need an affidavit then.

The pup has been at the SPCA for 3-months.  From what I was told, they don't get much more than 3-months before they are euthanized.  Here is a family who is are dog lovers, and who want to adopt a dog who has been surrendered and does not have much time left, and yet the SPCA doesn't seem to want to help us do that.  The mind boggles!

Anyway here are a few pics of Taz - my gut-feel says we won't get her, and she won't be at the SPCA much longer.  But I guess at least we gave her an hour of loves and snacks on Saturday  :mellow:

Well if anything, I have learnt quite a lot from this experience - it's still ongoing, but it's not anywhere near finalized.

1. I have since discovered (after having a frank chat with someone who knows the ropes) that the SPCA is actually not a adoption agency - their core business is to police animal cruelty - they are not geared to facilitate adoptions which is why animal cruelty cases take precedent, and sadly, also why they do not get emotionally involved when it comes down to euthanizing animals.  They do however accept abandoned or unwanted animals, but their reasoning is that euthanizing is better than being a stray on the street.
  2. They follow the rules of the RSPCA - there is no wiggle room there.  If you want to adopt a dog from the SPCA it's their rules, simple.
  3. There are no set standards for home inspections so they will not allow any independent inspectors - only inspectors from the SPCA are accepted.
  4. They don't like people adopting outside their area - it's a problem for them as it creates unnecessary admin - see above!
  5. Most of the people working there are Volunteers who do so for love - but they have no authority, so trying to reason with them is of no use.

Right now they are still insisting on a meet and greet first - only then will they commence with our home inspection.  The sticking points we have is that it's a 150km round trip for me every time I drive from Pretoria to Booysens - I'm trying to convince them to do a home inspection first, so that if there is a problem, I haven't done an unnecessary trip.  SPCA want a meet and greet first, then the home inspection and only then can we adopt.  They also are still insisting that we bring both dogs - and that is non-negotiable for me - she's skittish, she's a runner and she doesn't do cars - if she somehow bolts then we will never catch her.

I'm making one last call today to try and reason with them - hold thumbs!

So popped by the vet to get Enzo's 3 monthly tick and flea pill and a dewomer and he weighs 30kg...he will be 6 months old on the 14th, we have a monster in the making.[emoji23][emoji23]

Edited by Gen