Show us your pets

tunariaan

About training

We had to stop puppy school here.. too much conflicts with the dog sport my son wants to do.. like the double command..that is not allowed at IGP.. so you can't say sit-stay.etc ...and they do trailing and not tracking..and their protections work is also different.

So we are just carrying with help from the trainer up in jhb and mom in law.

Enzo can stay in his long down for at least 5min now.. my son walks away..walks over him talks to people....stands with his back to Enzo..and Enzo just stays in down..

Because Enzo isn't other dog friendly.. (well he barks and then wants to play with them..which he isn't supposed to do..he must just ignore them) so when they go for a walk and there is a stray my son puts him in down until that dog is gone and then they carry on walking.. this seems to help a lot and when they eventually get to competition and they do a long down it is when the other dog is busy with his obedience routine...and he mustn't want to go and want to play with that dog[emoji1787]

The next thing he wants to do is put Enzo in down when there is a few more unfamiliar people around...and then walk away to see how that goes.. I think that will be a real test for Enzo.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya those dog gurus are something else hey. We struggle for half a class to get her to sit and stay for 5s. The trainer comes along and manages to get her to lie down and stay like that for ages.

I'll be happy though if at the end if it, she just doesn't run away when we take her off-lead!

Yep they speak dog very well... they also have so much experience.

We were a little worried the first time we took Enzo off lead on the beach but he just stayed right next to my son..

Edited by Gen

Yep they speak dog very well... they also have so much experience.

We were a little worried the first time we took Enzo off lead on the beach but he just stayed right next to my son..

Generally when they're bonded to you as pups it makes it much simpler.

Getting rescues when they're older and untrained requires a good pair of running shoes and much patience in the 1st 6 months  :whistling:

Generally when they're bonded to you as pups it makes it much simpler.

Getting rescues when they're older and untrained requires a good pair of running shoes and much patience in the 1st 6 months :whistling:

Shame yes I can imagine.. hard with rescues as I assume a lot have trust issues too. Edited by Gen

In everyone's humble opinion, how long do pups need to develop before we can start taking her for longish (>1km runs) - I'm of the opinion she needs to be about a year, but would be good to her what others think

In everyone's humble opinion, how long do pups need to develop before we can start taking her for longish (>1km runs) - I'm of the opinion she needs to be about a year, but would be good to her what others think

According to everyone I spoke to, 18months... once they have stopped growing are and considered adults...

The city rescues got their 1st real bush experience this weekend.  They've been building up to it with park walks and increasing less risk of them just disappearing over the horizon, plus practice in the car going to have coffee/lunch at restaurants.  So rented pet friendly place with lots of hiking options in the Magaliesberg.  You've never seen two happier and busier dogs  :D All those new smells and sounds and endless freedom.  Only 2 minor temporary disappearances over franklin and duiker.

attachicon.gifIMG_1889b.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1890b.JPG

attachicon.gifbdfe286e-1bd2-4a58-9a2f-ce110b033e24.JPG

Man that must be so satisfying for dwags and their humans  :thumbup:

According to everyone I spoke to, 18months... once they have stopped growing are and considered adults...

Wow that's interesting - I wouldn't have thought that long, but really good to know.

Lucy(fer) won't be doing a Cowhouse Trail run for a while then.....

Oh man, I shouldn't have popped my head in here. I lost my Aussie Sheppard and Border Collie within 3 months of each other last year from cancer and miss them so much, they where such intelligent and playful dogs. Now I've just got a straat-brak pitbull/jack russel mix left for company (albeit a very loyal and loving straatbrak). This thread just makes me want to get another puppy for him as company.

Wow that's interesting - I wouldn't have thought that long, but really good to know.

Lucy(fer) won't be doing a Cowhouse Trail run for a while then.....

Yeah I was also a bit surprised.. but the ones who speak dog well said they grow so much up until then, excessive exercise esp running long distances damages growth plates and muscles and all sort of things and that causes some health problems down the line.. Difficult cause they love being active.. walks are okay but to avoid too much running and jumping....in the mean time practice loose lead walking I suppose.

They also said with normal play at home they get enough exercise but also no for too long at a time rather shorter sessions more frequent.

Who knew hey.

Edited by Gen

Surely breed dependent, bigger dogs later, but i would have thought smaller crossbreeds could run a few km from 7 months?

I've noticed hey - about 30mins of playtime at a time and she goes to lie down.  Even at Puppy School - after about 45mins she starts getting a bit bored.

Surely breed dependent, bigger dogs later, but i would have thought smaller crossbreeds could run a few km from 7 months?

Probably, suppose during the critical growing stage one should be cautious..I would imagine it would be the same with most dogs but a vet would probably be able to give guidance regarding smaller/different breeds?

Edited by Gen

I've noticed hey - about 30mins of playtime at a time and she goes to lie down. Even at Puppy School - after about 45mins she starts getting a bit bored.

Yep.. 30min is already quite long already

One of the things I picked up when my son trained with the pros in jhb 5-10min max. They stop before they get tired and they should still want to work then you stop..basically they shouldn't stop when they want to stop but when you say it's enough.

Enzo also got bored out of his mind at general puppy school here... the moment we were at the dog sport training a completely different thing.. his reaction times were so quicker and everything..

At home my son does anything from 5-10min tops..then they stop.. and hour or so later another session and so on and so on.

Suppose each breed and dog is different and what your ultimate goal is but that was just our observation and the advice and guidelines going forward for us. Kind of like children some things work for some and not for others?

Edited by Gen

Lol

So my son went to go fetch my youngest at an after school activity and had Enzo in the back of the car with the window open.. said at the one robot the hawkers came a little to close to the car for Enzo's liking..and he growled at them..he said they left really fast.

Edit

If you are wondering, yes my son has his license he got it yesterday and yes I worry every time he drives somewhere [emoji85]

Edited by Gen

The city rescues got their 1st real bush experience this weekend.  They've been building up to it with park walks and increasing less risk of them just disappearing over the horizon, plus practice in the car going to have coffee/lunch at restaurants.  So rented pet friendly place with lots of hiking options in the Magaliesberg.  You've never seen two happier and busier dogs  :D All those new smells and sounds and endless freedom.  Only 2 minor temporary disappearances over franklin and duiker.

attachicon.gifIMG_1889b.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1890b.JPG

attachicon.gifbdfe286e-1bd2-4a58-9a2f-ce110b033e24.JPG

Nice looking dogs..well done