MTB v Red Hartebeeste aka Biker vs Buck

javadude

Does Anyone know if someone has ever been hit at GroenKloof? i came pretty close once on the single track along the R21. came round a corner and a young Kudu Bull jumped over the track, i missed his back hooves with my head by a few centimeters... what was worse was the dust from his hooves went in my eyes and mouth.... and could not see anything! Blind braking is scary! :)

I almost ran into the back of one there in the singletrack. My one son was ahead of me, and the poor animal bolted after him on the route! :o

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SHo!!!!! I can't even imagine what it would feel like... well I could, if I could remember the moment of getting taken out by a bakkie head on while riding a m/cycle. Gatvol after two weeks of Hospital and another 2 weeks at home is a nice break, but not 3 months into 1st year varsity year. Shattered elbow and broken ankle was the body damage, written off m/cycle was the bike damage.

Heal well down'd rider. :thumbup:

Clearly he doesn't know how to pass the buck. Hectic!!

And the buck certainly didn't stop there!

Okay, that's lame…

I remember when I went to Cape Vidal with the ballies way back when... First we were charged by a wildebeest, and had to scramble into a passing ranger's bakkie, then later that day we were charged by an angry mother hippo. One of her young must have been between her & us, 'cos she just submerged, and we started walking back to the trail after we didn't see her surface. We got to the treeline (this is at the lake itself) and just heard splashing, followed by grunting and heavy ass footsteps.

I don't think I've ever run that fast in my life - before, or since.

I would like to know if it was just sort of bad luck timing or if the buck actualle "attacked" the cyclist, cause it sure looks that way.

This is the movie clip description on youtube

Mountain Biker, Evan van der Spuy of Team Jeep South Africa got taken out by a RED HARTEBEES at amountain bike race at Albert Falls Dam. Check out this crazy footage which was taken by team mate Travis Walker on his GoPro Camera - The BUCK sure does STOP HERE with Evan van der Spuy aka #BUCKNORRIS

Could we rent that buck for Bryce

The end result to the helmet... The pic does not do it justice. Thankfully Evan ok, just with a sore head and neck... having a good chuckle about it now. Received some massive interest around the world, including ABC News in the US who have been phoning the 2 for interviews!

post-3896-0-85703700-1318318801.jpg

Seeing that RHB can weigh anything between 120 and 150kg (avg females and males), and can reach speeds up to 65km/h. Lets call it 60km/h, other source said 55km/h, so take it somewhere in the middle. Weight 135kg (in the middle)... That's a massive 2,250 kg-m/s !!!

Crazy Video!!

I hit a bushpig on breedtsnek ride (not the big hill) but coming back was doing 40km/ph at the time. He ran in front of me and i tee boned him, naturally i went flying. Bike broken!

post-17187-0-10132000-1318319501.jpg

post-17187-0-09717000-1318319532.jpg

there was alot of wild out and surely bit startled by all the riders approaching. Evan was in second place when this happened. The day before when we were pre riding the course a fella had an encounter with 3 rhinos and i had 5 Wildebees run JUSt infront of me on the trail... was pretty close, which Cycho also caught on camera.

post-4493-0-94672700-1318319932.jpg

Edited by jeepdude

Now I know why I'm a roadie. Glad the kid (relative to my age, of course) was okay, but nobody's thinking about the poor buck. Arme ding.

I think the oke is lucky to be alive

One of those horns could have pierced his neck or side and into his lungs.

The guy cycling behind thought it was a Holy Cow. stupid.gif

I think what i would've have said would rhyme with the last word in the thread title.