Ban FAKE selling

Puxi

Nothing says "FUNRIDER" like wearing Intercontinental Pro team kit. Its almost as amusing as the guys and girls that think that they need to match up their bike brand with the branding on their cycling kit.

The sponsor doesn't make huge amounts of cash from selling merchandise. In fact they are more than happy if people copy their kit as it is free advertising for them.

Hey mate, how many springbok jerseys do you own?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic. But the debate is whether replica kit should be sold on The Hub, not if you would buy replica kit in principle. Rolex, Tag, etc. pay insane amounts of money in advertising to entice you to buying their product, yet a thriving market for fake watches exists. If we're comfortable with selling fake anything here on The Hub, then I guess it's ok to sell stolen bikes here too? Just a thought. Not an opinion.

Well said I will laugh my head of at specialized if all his fake kit got stolen........then some else sold it again!

And Yes it is more about whether it should be allowed to be sold on the hub, Hey if you want to ride it then it is up to you. But at the moment the HUB is a means for this illegal selling!

And Yes it is more about whether it should be allowed to be sold on the hub, Hey if you want to ride it then it is up to you. But at the moment the HUB is a means for this illegal selling!

But just think of the consequences of putting all those Chinese children out of work.

Who agree's with me on this. I feel the HUB should ban the people from selling fake kits. Let us here on the Hub at least try and make a difference.

If someone wants to sell kit then they need to produce the licence from the manufacturer.

I know it may be difficult to stop everything but if we stop 1 we will make a difference.

So what range of kit do you have the rights to distribution for in SA?

I see this thread is tonge in cheek or at least I hope so.

When dishonesty is approved of if the victim is a corporation or brand but in another thread we condemn the fact that stolen bikes are only stolen because there is a market for stolen goods, we are beyond hypocritical.

In SA we have a major crime problem and it is not ok to condone any form of theft or criminality. Maybe you just need to be the victim of a personal crime or a corporate fraud which almost sinks your company to get some perspective on it.

Got that off my chest. . . . .

Edited by Doggone

I see this thread is tonge in cheek or at least I hope so.

When dishonesty is approved of if the victim is a corporation or brand but in another thread we condemn the fact that stolen bikes are only stolen because there is a market for stolen goods, we are beyond hypocritical.

In SA we have a major crime problem and it is not ok to condone any form of theft or criminality. Maybe you just need to be the victim of a personal crime or a corporate fraud which almost sinks your company to get some perspective on it.

Got that off my chest. . . . .

+1. Read an article a few months back which connected informal trade of counterfeit goods (e.g. as sold at traffic intersections) to money laundering from drug dealing. A massive business!! Everything is not always as simple as it seems. If it's not legal, it's wrong. The Hub should not be allowing the sale of anything illegal. I don't know enough about the cycling gear in question to know whether it's legal or not.

So what range of kit do you have the rights to distribution for in SA?

Well I am sure the importers of, say castelli really apporve of someone selling Garmin kit at 1/5th of the price they can land it...

I think people who buy fake merchandise are fools!

I saw a guy with a Dura Ace, 3T ARX team, ZIPP404 firecrest kitted Chinarello Dogpoo in a race earlier this year. I felt sorry for him.

Well The Hub is not an outlet for any illegal goods regardless of its origins as the sellers all have the same intentions and that is to defraud the buyer.

I dont think it matters very much.

The market for this stuff is very small, compared say to football shirts.

Also the buyer has a problem - if the quality isnt good they wont enjoy the shirt which has to do a job. A soccer shirt you just need the name as 90% are worn by non-players.

I dont know the licencing rules for every cycling shirt & wouldnt be fussed to find out - maybe some are illegal some not.

I think that people wearing a team's kit but not riding the team's bike brand looks pretty silly.

I think someone buying a decent bike brand and going cheap on the matching kit is, well........cheap.

All in all - storm, teacup, pedantry.

I think a point to consider, is if perhaps these companies/sponsors whether they donate to charities and to the sport itself, if so, this will impact on their profits and so on. So no i think if you cant afford then perhaps find kit more suitable to your pocket. But hey, to each their own.

Why ride around in euro pro fancy dress with genuine kit?

Surely every fake pro deserves fake kit to complete their look.

Replica kit is what the bike shops sell for R1500.

Fake is what is sold on the interwebs and the Hub.

The quality of the fakes is way lower than the original. If you can afford the originals buy it,it will last much longer.

Correct. Replica kit is still made by the correct manufacturer, fakes are not. There is a big difference between fake and replica. I've got a fake Springbok top. Have never worn it in public as I'm too embarrassed to. If people complain about the price, then live without it. I can't afford to eat at larny restaurants, so I eat at the Wimpy. If it is important to you, save up for it of worse, buy on the credit card.