Cricket......

E1A104

When Parnell first appeared on the scene as a junior he was brilliant. There was even talk of him being the next Kallis. Then he got injured, and I think he had some personal/attitude issues, and has just never lived up to expectations. When he plays he's either brilliant or utter shite. More often than not the latter. 

I see he is bowling even slower than Philander is. between the mid 120's and low 130's. Why they gave the new ball to him and not Rabada I don't know... There's place for Parnell when we play an all out pace attack, but when you bring your spin bowler back Parnell will miss out again. Ok in this case the spin bowler is also a POC so that helps. 

I highly doubt that they'll drop Bavuma when AB comes back. Too much was made of him when he scored his maiden 100 (was it on debut?). He's a good fielder and that run-out in Aus was brilliant, so that's another tick next to his name.

I don't know if Amla is keen on opening again, but it does look most likely that either Cook or Elgar will get dropped. Duminy has probably saved his own ass for another 10 years by scoring some runs this season. I still don't like the chop and would much rather drop him for AB. 

They made allowance for having more whiteys in the test team by saying the % POC is averaged over the season and across all 3 formats. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if Amla is keen on opening again, but it does look most likely that either Cook or Elgar will get dropped. Duminy has probably saved his own ass for another 10 years by scoring some runs this season. I still don't like the chop and would much rather drop him for AB.

Can't see them dropping Elgar since he was man of the series and highest run scorer

Damn, we have a healthy team at the moment. Players look so positive. Team dynamic seems to be fantastic.

!

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

this is why quotas are ridiculous.

is Parnell a whitey or an inbetweeny?

Converting to Islam surely doesn't count (as did Cat Stevens, he has a mean rhythm once he gets going). 

And now that we've had 20 years of freedom what you gonna do with all the mix race kids, adopted black kids etc. who have only ever lived with a silver spoon between their lips? (read habana there)

So seems there are doubts to whether AB wants to play test cricket again

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-sri-lanka-2016-17/content/story/1077588.html

According to Linda Zondi, bavuma is immune. Even though he has an average of barely 30. Seems like duminy is also safe. I'm sorry to say but there is no team in the world that would NOT have AB in their team.

And if it is really a case of AB not wanting to be there, some serious questions need to be asked. Is it because of quota issues in csa? Is it because he'd rather become a second Chris gayle and just coin it across the world in t20 competitions?

talk of # being the last protea to play 100 tests.

here are my bolters for who could take that one, bearing in mind we've got 10 home tests next summer alone (as opposed to the three this season!). 

in order of likelihood:

maybe, depends on hunger/fitness:

Steyn - 85 tests

depends how test cricket goes in the future calender:

Elgar, 32 - age 29 (would need to play deep into his 30s)

Rabada, 14 tests, age 21

QdK, 16 tests, age 24

probably not gonna happen:

Morne Morkel - 71 tests (age 32)

Damn, we have a healthy team at the moment. Players look so positive. Team dynamic seems to be fantastic.

Lekker Proteas!

I'm really enjoying the vibe too

A pleasure to watch

Meanwhile.....

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/257800/257816.jpg

how do you lose from there?!!!!

and how does Shakib al Hasan get his country's first ever double century, take some wickets and still not get MoTM?!!

end of day 4. Bangladesh are 66/3, effetcively 122/3. 

mind boggles, how they stuffed it up from there...especially after seeing pakistan lose a dead certain draw in the final session earlier in the season too.

how do you lose from there?!!!!

and how does Shakib al Hasan get his country's first ever double century, take some wickets and still not get MoTM?!!

end of day 4. Bangladesh are 66/3, effetcively 122/3.

mind boggles, how they stuffed it up from there...especially after seeing pakistan lose a dead certain draw in the final session earlier in the season too.

Even as late as tea on the fourth day neither team had begun their second innings. By 5.47pm on the fifth, the visitors were beaten. Badly. They couldn't get the simple disciplines right. The quicks were too short, the spinners bowled leg stump and outside and while that was meant to slow down the scoring, it had the opposite effect. In a 10-over after the second wicket, they leaked 77 runs.

New Zealand's overall run-rate - 5.47 - was the third-highest in the fourth innings as Williamson, with his 15th century, and Ross Taylor, with his 24th fifty, put on their eighth hundred partnership and ensured the fans who packed the Basin Reserve - it was free entry for the final day - witnessed history. - This from the Cricinfo report on the fifth and final day helps explains a significant portion of the cause of their failure to properly capitalize on their strong position. In essence a combination of stage fright, inconsistency and poor discipline. At least that's my humble opinion.

As for Al-Hasan, I have no idea how that performance gets overlooked for MoTM.

One thing I will say about Bangladesh is that their results doesn't always give a fair reflection of how well they've played in a match as they've become a highly capable team. No longer push overs at all.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Rabada, 14 tests, age 21

I think he's the one to do it. Ntini started at 21 and played for 11 years, 101 tests.

The list of 100+ tests is pretty short: Kallis, Boucher, Smith, Pollock, de Villiers, Kirsten, Ntini, Amla.

Strongly agreeing with you gentlemen. It does seem that the current squad is playing with a great deal of positivity and a real sense of enjoying their cricket. Saw an article on cricinfo in which Domingo expressed that this was the culture they are trying to create or recreate as I recall Kirsten's squad playing in a similar manner. By no means complete though. Still some work required with the batting unit's consistency but the signs are there that they are progressing in this area. Bowling depth looking a fair bit better than last year this time.

Lekker Proteas!

I'm really enjoying the vibe too

A pleasure to watch

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Seems AB is gonna stick to shorter form of the game

That would be such a shame. You'd think that test cricket is the pinnacle for any cricketer. Yes he's already played 100+ tests (I think) but he's got a good few years of cricket left in him. Must be $ driven decision.. And maybe politics? 

talk of # being the last protea to play 100 tests.

here are my bolters for who could take that one, bearing in mind we've got 10 home tests next summer alone (as opposed to the three this season!). 

in order of likelihood:

maybe, depends on hunger/fitness:

Steyn - 85 tests

depends how test cricket goes in the future calender:

Elgar, 32 - age 29 (would need to play deep into his 30s)

Rabada, 14 tests, age 21

QdK, 16 tests, age 24

probably not gonna happen:

Morne Morkel - 71 tests (age 32)

QDK my most likely bet to make it to 100. You don't often see wicketkeepers pulling off stunning catches, but QDK does it regularly. And he's a brilliant batmen, could possibly open the batting with Elgar if they drop Cook for AB?

Rabada will make it too, if he can stay injury free.