Cricket......

E1A104

I prefer a player like The Vern's approach. Let the ball do the talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not always..

Morne Morkel is like a lamb. It must be so f@#$ scary facing him, but he doesn't have an aggressive approach to rattle the batsmen further. He has taken a lot of wickets for Steyn/Philander but could get more for himself if he had developed this part of the game.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not always..

Morne Morkel is like a lamb. It must be so f@#$ scary facing him, but he doesn't have an aggressive approach to rattle the batsmen further. He has taken a lot of wickets for Steyn/Philander but could get more for himself if he had developed this part of the game.

you and I can heartily agree about Morne Morkel. I think he could be utterly lethal, if he took a more aggressive approach, but mentally and bowling line. He is tall enough to bowl a standing ball off a normal length delivery, but rarely does. He should go train with the West iNdies team: they were a fun loving bunch of guys, but they still showed some good aggression.

agreed, but (really) good fast bowlers have a bit of NASTY in them....

The best in the business had the ball do the talking.

Glen McGrath

Alan Donald (apart from that infamous test at The Wanderers where Atherton nicked one early on and was not given out. AD gave him lip, and many snorters the whole day)

Curtly Ambrose

Waqar Younis

Wasim Akram

I am all for a light sledge or 2, but sending Stokes off in the way he did, and being stupid enough to do it near the stump mic deserves a 1 match ban and hopefully 100% of his match fee.

Here are some good examples of sledges:

http://www.cricketsledges.com/top-twenty-cricket-sledges/

Just a note, Barnes' comeback on McGrath was long before wife Jane McGrath lost her fight with Cancer.

The best in the business had the ball do the talking.

Glen McGrath

Alan Donald (apart from that infamous test at The Wanderers where Atherton nicked one early on and was not given out. AD gave him lip, and many snorters the whole day)

Curtly Ambrose

Waqar Younis

Wasim Akram

I am all for a light sledge or 2, but sending Stokes off in the way he did, and being stupid enough to do it near the stump mic deserves a 1 match ban and hopefully 100% of his match fee.

Here are some good examples of sledges:

http://www.cricketsledges.com/top-twenty-cricket-sledges/

Just a note, Barnes' comeback on McGrath was long before wife Jane McGrath lost her fight with Cancer.

No, not sledging, NASTY BOWLING...like morkel doesn't have but steyn does.

covered extensively on ESPN Cricinfo. He wants to focus on the ODI world Cup in 2019. He has not officially retired from Test cricket and will be having discussions with Cricket SA in the coming weeks on his future in the Test side (last info I had on this).

yes, that's the official line...i wanted wild rumours and unfounded speculation, with some slander thrown in for good measure.

just remember that his suspension is not for this incident alone, but also include 3 other incidents. If you dig deep you will probably find that stokes was also given demerit points for that incident too

ja eish, what can we say about the blommetjies. Bietjie verlep is al waaraan ek kan dink...

First issue is we lacked a proper leader. This should be sorted once Faf is back.

Our openers are sh*t, even Elgar has a very mediocre average. Amla is horribly out of form (and has been for a while now). His avg has dropped by a lot the last 2 seasons. 

Duminy - I've said it plenty times before, he's k*k. There's even an article about him and how he's the luckiest (and worst) international cricketer ever. 

Every time bavuma and De Kock gets to the middle the team is in trouble and they are under too much pressure.

Bowling discipline is shocking. Vern isn't fit enough at the moment. Our fielding was also shocking.

Lots of problems to fix when the new coach is appointed

Joe Root's first match as captain - what a knock

First time since re-admission that the Blommetjies lost at Lords

just remember that his suspension is not for this incident alone, but also include 3 other incidents. If you dig deep you will probably find that stokes was also given demerit points for that incident too

Unfortunately not. The demerit system was introduced in September 2016.  In the 4th ODI against Sri Lanka on 7 February 2017 KG got in a tussle with an SL batsman, was fined and given demerit points:

Dickwella, Rabada fined for breaching code of conduct

Sri Lanka opener Niroshan Dickwella and South Africa fast bowler Kagiso Rabada have both been fined 50% of their match fees for breaching the ICC's code of conduct during the fourth ODI in Cape Town. In addition to the fines, three demerit points have been added to both Dickwella and Rabada's disciplinary records.

The two players were found to have been in violation with Article 2.2.7, which relates to "inappropriate and deliberate physical contact with a Player, Player Support Personnel, Umpire, Match Referee or any other Person (including a spectator) in the course of play during an international match".

The incident took place in the 12th over of Sri Lanka's 368 chase when Dickwella and Rabada made contact with each other, after the batsman had completed a single, at the non-striker's end.

Since both players admitted to the offence and accepted the sanction imposed by Richie Richardson, the match referee, there was no need for a formal hearing.

KG should have known better.

Stokes has 2 points for two separate incidents.

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague lately, cause I will just lose it and say nasty stuff. But now I just need this off my chest.

The Proteas are in a bad place at the moment, and I think it is just going to get worse from here on. 

Why do they keep hangin on to players that do not perform match after match after match?

Yeah me too. Since AB had been made captain I started to watch less and less cricket. I think last year he started demanding to only play in certain games. I did not like this from him. If you selected then you must play. There are plenty other people who are willing to play all the games. I think karma has now caught up with him, as he has no lost the flavour of the month position.

No, not sledging, NASTY BOWLING...like morkel doesn't have but steyn does.

Yes, I used to love doing this with a slight grin and a hard stare turned around took my time back to the start stormed in and bowled forcefully at the batsman. I still do....... I think I need to find a sunday league to join. 

Yeah me too. Since AB had been made captain I started to watch less and less cricket. I think last year he started demanding to only play in certain games. I did not like this from him. If you selected then you must play. There are plenty other people who are willing to play all the games. I think karma has now caught up with him, as he has no lost the flavour of the month position.

After the Kevin Pietersen drama, I've been wondering if the pattern within the then English team is being played out within the Proteas as well. It's clear that AB is a phenom, but KP drama broached the question: can someone be too good for a team? Maybe for different reasons, but if the end effect is the same (unfocussed team), then the answer could very well be: Yes. AB is too good for the current team.

As an individual contributor with the bat: immeasurable value.

as both a brilliant batsmen and senior team statesmen, that's when things are starting to skew for the AB and protea brands.

AB has such self conviction that he is a capable captain, it becomes very hard to disagree especially if one looks at rest of team contributions to recent failures in just about any format of the game. But his blindspot seems to be around team cohesion when there's a crisis. He seems to lack the ability to inspire, likely because his level is just too damn stratospheric. How can anyone find confidence in having to aspire to be less?

They should drop him as captain in all formats, but i'm afraid they've taken so long already the sting and the stink of it will disrupt them further, leaving them with the nuclear option, as was dropped on KP: drop him from the team entirely.

After the Kevin Pietersen drama, I've been wondering if the pattern within the then English team is being played out within the Proteas as well. It's clear that AB is a phenom, but KP drama broached the question: can someone be too good for a team? Maybe for different reasons, but if the end effect is the same (unfocussed team), then the answer could very well be: Yes. AB is too good for the current team.

As an individual contributor with the bat: immeasurable value.

as both a brilliant batsmen and senior team statesmen, that's when things are starting to skew for the AB and protea brands.

AB has such self conviction that he is a capable captain, it becomes very hard to disagree especially if one looks at rest of team contributions to recent failures in just about any format of the game. But his blindspot seems to be around team cohesion when there's a crisis. He seems to lack the ability to inspire, likely because his level is just too damn stratospheric. How can anyone find confidence in having to aspire to be less?

They should drop him as captain in all formats, but i'm afraid they've taken so long already the sting and the stink of it will disrupt them further, leaving them with the nuclear option, as was dropped on KP: drop him from the team entirely.

that's a very insightful comment.....thanks

I think the KP issue was very different to the current AB one. KP was a d*ck and very unpopular in the english team. Remember it all blew up when we were touring there and he was sms'in the SA players on how to get Strauss out. Also, KP and Flower (the then coach) hated each other.

AB, as far as everyone outside the team can see, gets on very well with everyone. He used to be everyones favourite player, even in India I think he is 2nd only to Kohli. AB's downfall, in my humble opinion, is that he is not a very good captain or tactician. Ever since he took over the captaincy people have questioned his tactics. And then he started picking Indian rupees over playing for SA.... I for one have lost a lot of respect for him. Yes he is one of the all time greats, but no-one is bigger than the game. If he wants to chase $$$$ all over the world in the T20 leagues like Gayle, then do so, but step down from the Proteas then. If he feels he can't play all 3 formats, fine, pick your format and stick with it. Don't pick and choose which series you want to play in.. It's very unfair on the batsman that will have to make way for him everytime AB feels like playing again.

Meanwhile...

:clap: 

Dané van Niekerk and Shabnim Ismail took seven wickets between them, setting up an eight-wicket victory for the Proteas in their must-win, ICC Women’s World Cup match against Sri Lanka at the County Ground in Taunton on Wednesday.

This win means that the South Africans have qualified for the semi-finals of the tournament for only the second time ever. The last time the team achieved this feat was at the 2000 edition of the competition.

ja eish, what can we say about the blommetjies. Bietjie verlep is al waaraan ek kan dink...

First issue is we lacked a proper leader. This should be sorted once Faf is back.

Our openers are sh*t, even Elgar has a very mediocre average. Amla is horribly out of form (and has been for a while now). His avg has dropped by a lot the last 2 seasons. 

Duminy - I've said it plenty times before, he's k*k. There's even an article about him and how he's the luckiest (and worst) international cricketer ever. 

Every time bavuma and De Kock gets to the middle the team is in trouble and they are under too much pressure.

Bowling discipline is shocking. Vern isn't fit enough at the moment. Our fielding was also shocking.

Lots of problems to fix when the new coach is appointed

100%! I really do not like JPD one bit, he has brief flashes of brilliance, but his spot should've been up for grabs yonks ago.

De Kock is our best batsman at the moment. Our approach to Test cricket is very outdated, it worked for us successfully many years ago, but teams and strategies move on, and we've been outclassed time and time again.