Cricket......

E1A104

My reasoning is this:

Take the case where the weather can play a roll, i .e. overcast conditions means a team will want first dibs at bowling (Game B). This has a different impact than a prepared pitch for the home side.

In my proposal, Team A won the toss and chose to bat first in Game A, but now they don’t get to choose for Game 2 ( in overcast conditions). In current situation, they have a 50/50 chance to win the toss again, and will most likely bowl first. Instead Team B now gets to decide what to do first.

If Team A decided to forfeit their decision in Game A and conceded the decision to Team B, in the hope they will have the decision in Game B, it (might) adds a little more what if’s.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so basically you are also in favour for the toss to remain as it is currently. which I can also agree with. the toss is like a nightwatchman, you either like it or not, but its one of a host of nuisances that make this game so unique. :)

My reasoning is this:

Take the case where the weather can play a roll, i .e. overcast conditions means a team will want first dibs at bowling (Game B). This has a different impact than a prepared pitch for the home side.

In my proposal, Team A won the toss and chose to bat first in Game A, but now they don’t get to choose for Game 2 ( in overcast conditions). In current situation, they have a 50/50 chance to win the toss again, and will most likely bowl first. Instead Team B now gets to decide what to do first.

If Team A decided to forfeit their decision in Game A and conceded the decision to Team B, in the hope they will have the decision in Game B, it (might) adds a little more what if’s.

I think it would be a better option if the toss was done once, and then it alternates between the two teams for the remaining matches. That way, the luck of the draw is (partially) eliminated and each team has a fair chance of deciding what to do first.

The team winning the first toss can decide to use the toss win on the first game or save it for the second game. It might be more advantageous to win the toss at game 2 rather than game 1.

Hope my explanation makes sense. It just adds more unknown to the game than relying on luck of the draw.

This is a proper idea and i think it would definitely work.

Never really thought of changing the toss. Is their a floor tho? Has there talk of changing? 50% chance every time.

We have clearly just been very unlucky.

SA is 29/2 after 6 overs... Oi....

3 down...temba gone too.

Faf is going to come in 6th. sent in nortje as nightwatchman with 6 overs to see out -  he is not really standing up here when he probably should.

I watched the highlights of day 1, cheese and rice we bowled really well upfront, so many play and misses but they rode it out somehow. I battle to believe that their seamers are better than ours, even in these conditions.

haven't seen anything today, but kohli really is something special. poor maharaj has had bowl a lot and has gone for a LOT of runs this tour already

3 down...temba gone too.

Faf is going to come in 6th. sent in nortje as nightwatchman with 6 overs to see out -  he is not really standing up here when he probably should.

I watched the highlights of day 1, cheese and rice we bowled really well upfront, so many play and misses but they rode it out somehow. I battle to believe that their seamers are better than ours, even in these conditions.

haven't seen anything today, but kohli really is something special. poor maharaj has had bowl a lot and has gone for a LOT of runs this tour already

36/3 at stumps on day 2, chasing a 1st innings of 601.... Yeah, this might be the biggest beating we have ever received....

Think Maharaj was taken off the field for some reason, lets hope we are not playing with only 10 eligible players and a 12th man.

Got to love Cricinfo

That's stumps for Day 2 and South Africa are staring at India from inside a deep-sea trench. They still trail by 565 runs and have already lost three top-order wickets. They'll need to bat out of their skins on Day 3 merely to stay alive in the Test - and the series - and the chances of that happening look about as likely as Virat Kohli going a calendar year without a century of any kind. Kohli was imperious today, bringing up his highest ever Test score to drive India past 600. He could have gone for a triple, but opted to make a tired South Africa bat, and his decision has borne immediate rewards too.

36/3 at stumps on day 2, chasing a 1st innings of 601.... Yeah, this might be the biggest beating we have ever received....

Think Maharaj was taken off the field for some reason, lets hope we are not playing with only 10 eligible players and a 12th man.

i doubt we'll ever top this one.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15393/scorecard/63978/south-africa-vs-australia-1st-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2001-02

as the supposedly 2nd best team in the world we really thought we could show these guys a thing or two in our own backyard.

it didn't go well (until we won the dead rubber)

i doubt we'll ever top this one.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15393/scorecard/63978/south-africa-vs-australia-1st-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2001-02

as the supposedly 2nd best team in the world we really thought we could show these guys a thing or two in our own backyard.

it didn't go well (until we won the dead rubber)

Sho, that was a mauling, I suspect a similar scorecard is on the cards here...

one thing that is refreshing is that the indians have put decent test pitches together this time around, we can't be complaining.

the last series in 2015, look at these totals

201, 200, 80/0, 215, 173, 334, 267/5d

that's the indian batting figures across the four games. as disatrous as the 3-0 was, even we got them out 4 times under 220.

Maharaj hurt his shoulder trying to stop a ball off his own bowling. In my time playing club cricket ive seen many okes pull hammies, injuring shoulders and so on when they’re being carted all over the park [emoji23]

Theres a rumor that theres some internal friction. On two occasions i saw KG and Fluff exchange a few glares. I must admit, our field placing has been suspect. When they were smashing us all over the place we still had 2 close catchers in, makes no sense. Kohli and Jadeja was hitting us for boundaries at will. At one stage we conceded 90 odd runs in 10 overs. Thats when Maharaj pulled up.

What ive seen so far, our spinners arent getting their lengths right, not enough overspin like the indians, meaning the spin they do get is slow turn. And Maharaj and Muntasamy’s lines were poor as well.

Yes this is a very sporty wicket and we were in with a chance but ive said it many times, VDP shouldnt tour to India. Nortjie also came on for a spell where they tried to bounce the indians out, which didnt work but they just persisted with that tactic.

A proper swing bowler would have had a field day on this wicket. Steyn for example. And the most basic bowling principle of all when it comes to line and lenght is to hit the top of off stump. That we cannot achieve and it annoys me no end.

so basically you are also in favour for the toss to remain as it is currently. which I can also agree with. the toss is like a nightwatchman, you either like it or not, but its one of a host of nuisances that make this game so unique. :)

To be honest, I don't really give a toss (pun intended)...  :P

Jokes aside, I am in favour of a toss but not when it's purely based on a 50/50 chance. Statistically speaking, I don't know if the toss makes a big/small difference to the outcome.  

On a side note:

Graeme Smith put me off SA cricket completely, even though the Proteas were number 1 sometime during his career. I'll poke my head in occasionally to see the score, or read comments, but I just don't get excited about them anymore.

Haha, punny fun [emoji12]

I often wonder why so many people took issue with Biff. I guess he’s brass nature put alot of people off, but in my view he could back up his bark more often than not. And i rate his captaincy and his tenacity. Based on statistics he is one of the most successful captains of all time. And as captain of SA he achieved a lot more success than any of his predecessors and ill go as far as to say his successors.

Maybe they should adopt the batt toss like in the Big Bash. Haha... As ive tried to illustrate in one of my previous posts, the value of the toss can be negated to a degree by having a very well balanced side. And therein lies the conundrum perhaps. From memory Biff’s side won a hellava lot of games batting 4th. And if you look at the great sides from history, Aussies under Taylor, Waugh, Ponting, they could win a game from almost anywhere, winning or losing the toss. So i guess my point is if you have a decent side, the toss should almost not be a factor.

It is difficult watching our current side yes. Markram, so much potential but he seems to lack the mental approach of test cricket. Same can be said of Kudu de Bruyn. Im not sure Enoch’s prodigal son Bavuma will become a solid test cricketer, he hasnt stamped his authority on the game yet, not in the way you expect from a middle order batsman. Nortje looks like a decent bowler, he showed glimpses of potential in his first spell yesterday. But i fear we will loose him to Kolpak as well, just a feeling.

Which brings us to why we are where we are. And i say to you, go watch a domestic 4day game and then you will see why. Even better, go watch premier league cricket down at your local club, and it becomes even more apparent. Strength at the top comes from the bottom up.

And while we have corrupt officials running the game that are unwilling to develop the game properly from grassroot level up, our strength as a national side will never be what it was. Its easier to force the numbers to please politicians than it is to lay the foundations for development to happen naturally. (Sorry for the politics).

To be honest, I don't really give a toss (pun intended)... :P

Jokes aside, I am in favour of a toss but not when it's purely based on a 50/50 chance. Statistically speaking, I don't know if the toss makes a big/small difference to the outcome.

On a side note:

Graeme Smith put me off SA cricket completely, even though the Proteas were number 1 sometime during his career. I'll poke my head in occasionally to see the score, or read comments, but I just don't get excited about them anymore.

Edited by gemmerbal