Bonus Time

Carmichael

We are a family owned business and we usually get bonuses equal to a thirteen cheque. This year, however, one of our biggest corporate clients is dragging their feet on payments so we will probably give/get 50%. But those who have slacked off.... well.... I can already see the line of staff outside my office crying.

But yes, I do think it sucks when your boss drives a nice swank car and you feel your (not-so-mandatory)bonus is not what you deserve. Go give 'em hell!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a chat a while ago, and we included it in the cash flow for dec. And jip it is linked to an incentive scheme. Correct, i will not go in there guns blazing.. Not yet... lol.. Talking about the lean months, they were happily going on adding to cost to company for them., while we were told that there are no increases, ( That i understand, we were going through a rough patch)Anyway i will approach with caution.

I do think it sucks when your boss drives a nice swank car ..

Well at our company the boss rides a bicycle to work most of the time. Its the staff who want swanky cars.

its all about employee satisfaction i suppose.....and cashflow. we've got some to pay now - eina x2. We will however always try pay bonus to staff. That said, it was not until I started my own business that i realised the true implication of cashflow, so while business is good, there may not always be the cash in hand to make that payment

A bonus is a privilege, not a right (unless written into your contract)

The Land Rover is financed as a company car, so that doesn't count.

Boats are not as expensive as most people think.

Putting up with builders for 7 months means that he is either insane or short of cash (spreading costs over a long term)

The long and the short ~ what the directors earn or do with their money is none of your business. If they didn't commit capital to the business, you wouldn't have a job, so they deserve their return. Suck it up, or move, it's very simple.

And yes, before you point it out, I too am a director.

wel im also "the boss" and must be honest, my people come FIRST,, this **** about buying cars for company blah blah, man if you have a little extra, give a little to the people that makes YOU rich cause without them you wont be THE MAN!! they have kids etc, why cant they get 'n a little extra for their kids???? but ja you are probably a tipical director,, enjoy your money!!

I have not earned a bonus for 5 years. At first I was quite annoyed by it. I did have the choice to have a 13th cheque included into my salary structure, and opted to rather take the difference every month. If staff bonusses is such a huge issue, rather have a 13th cheque written into your contract when you have your next appraisal and suggest the same to staff who are unhappy. Unless your contract makes provision for a bonus or incentive, you are on a hiding to nothing going in there guns blazing.

Don't focus on their decision to take profits out themselves, but rather focus on the value of boosting staff morale.

wel im also "the boss" and must be honest, my people come FIRST,, this **** about buying cars for company blah blah, man if you have a little extra, give a little to the people that makes YOU rich cause without them you wont be THE MAN!! they have kids etc, why cant they get 'n a little extra for their kids???? but ja you are probably a tipical director,, enjoy your money!!

Go start your own business then...to have a job is a privilege..loads of people moan they make the boss rich...but never considered atleast you are employed, can buy things, etc. If I was a boss I will also enjoy my profit....take a nice salary, buy nice car, etc...everyone will.

You started with a Rant "on" and finished with a Rant "off." I say that's fair enough, brother! We all need to rant about money every now and then...

Also nice to see that there are a few directors here who have given comment from their perspective... (There is gold in them thar' hills)

Look, it's been a frikken hard year for almost everybody!

Take your boxing gloves and knuckle dusters to your meeting, by all means. (I hope you get to use them...) But, unless you have been headhunted twice a month for the last 3 months, don't make any career limiting moves

What's a bonus???

It's when you are riding on the single track and pick up an unopened Gu on the trail. :lol: :lol:

I have my own busines. It comes with its perks and negatives. For me it has been a tough year. Very often employees don't understand what goes on behind the scenes concerning running of the business. They don't get calls from the bank when the account is overdrawn, they don't have the stress that the boss has. I always pay my workers their salary before I pay myself. This year it is also tough for me to pay out bonuses :(

Go start your own business then...to have a job is a privilege..loads of people moan they make the boss rich...but never considered atleast you are employed, can buy things, etc. If I was a boss I will also enjoy my profit....take a nice salary, buy nice car, etc...everyone will.

AFAIK and understand - he is the boss of his own company...

I am with you on this, staff should come first, they are who you rely upon and if you want a sucessful business treat them well. They are also the first to start damaging your business as well should you be stingy however staff often forget that they are not the ones who have taken a risk to start the business and are not responsible should things go pear shaped...six of one and half a dozen of the other...!

Edited by Mojoman

Just to show the flipside to this:

I worked in a business a little while back, it was a cash cow while the economy was good, we had international sales incentives and huge bonus's. The sales director placed an order for a very special edition Porsche. Paid cash up front. With back orders and delivery delays, it took 2 YEARS to get delivered.

In those two years the economy changed, legislation changed and the business crumbled. The Sales director had to initiate retrenchments in the same month that he took delivery of his Porsche. (nice, HUH?)

What I am saying is that it's tough being a director, it's complicated. As an employee you don't always understand everything that goes on... and what you see, doesn't always paint a clear picture.

I think the key thing is to manage expectations. Bonus are normally loosely defined in the contract, so employees expect the best and employers try to contain costs. Both sides have a valid case so it's just about finding the happy middle ground in most cases.

Miscommunication (or total lack of communication) is where tempers get frayed.

To be honest I am happy that I have a job. So many of my friends who are highly educated professionals have been struggling to find work since coming onto the job market.

Its tough out there peeps and the world is in a very very funny place now and I think it will continue to be there for some time. Be grateful that you have a job and you are earning a salary. A bonus is just that, a bonus. You shouldn't need it to make ends meet else you are living beyond your means.

As for the directors bit. Well they do own the business and therefore are entitled to do what they want with the money. Yes its not so lekker when a director buys a porsche and then doesn't give everyone a bonus, but if you not legally entitled to it in your contract then the director doesn't have to give you bugger all. Personally I think that's a terrible business decision as all it would do is lower staff morale, but that's the directors call.

Edited by Zula