patches

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, a tyre discussion! I like XD

I've had a Maxis monorail front and crossmark back combo for a long time now, worked like magic, especially on flat race like babas lodge.

But with my recent plunder at Kings Kloof recently I've decided the monorail's days are over, I need more bulk upfront but obviously not full downhill...

I've been looking at the Maxxis Minion DHF which get very good scores at MTBR, but the WTB Mutano 2.4 tyre look so amazing too. Anyone care

to comment on those? And where to buy in Gauteng too, please?

PS: what is up with the GEAX tyre prices, seriosly?

if you want more volume, the latest trend is to run narrow tires on wider rims. The rationale being a larger contact area for grip without the weight penalty of going with a wider tire. There is of course a slight weight penalty going with the wider rim,but it's minus the added weight of a wider tire. Bit of a middle ground, but i'd take the grip any day.

Since being on a the narrower width on my XC bike, the transfer to teh side knobs have been super quick, and it feels rather sketch. Definitely moving over to a wider rim,but will play with tire pressures in the interim as I will confess to forgetting to deflate them for dirt riding after running them really hard for riding on the tar.

Edited by Capricorn

if you want more volume, the latest trend is to run narrow tires on wider rims. The rationale being a larger contact area for grip without the weight penalty of going with a wider tire. There is of course a slight weight penalty going with the wider rim,but it's minus the added weight of a wider tire. Bit of a middle ground, but i'd take the grip any day.

Since being on a the narrower width on my XC bike, the transfer to teh side knobs have been super quick, and it feels rather sketch. Definitely moving over to a wider rim,but will play with tire pressures in the interim as I will confess to forgetting to deflate them for dirt riding after running them really hard for riding on the tar.

Won't the tyre come away from the rim easier?

But buying two new rims is going to be an expensive exercise. I think I know what you mean about a wider rim but other than weight, why not just buy a 2.3 - 2.4 Tyre. I still think a 2.4 maxxis ardent will work stunningly?

because the weight addition due to rubber is more than the weight addition from a wider rim. Might 'just be grams' to the rest of us, but in Weight Weenie World, every nanogram counts.

But buying two new rims is going to be an expensive exercise. I think I know what you mean about a wider rim but other than weight, why not just buy a 2.3 - 2.4 Tyre. I still think a 2.4 maxxis ardent will work stunningly?

yeah agreed. It's the sort of the reason i've been holding off getting new rims. Thinking of the Mavic Crossmax SLRs, but they aint cheap.

• 3 months later...

I am planning to convert my mtb 26" to tubeless in the coming weeks and wanted some advice;

• whats a good off-road tyre for fairly rough terraine but also ok for a fair amount of road training ?
  • is it advisable to get your lbs to do the conversion or can one do one's self ?
  • when running on tubeless - does one carry a spare tube and plugs or do bombs and plugs suffice ?

Thanks

I am planning to convert my mtb 26" to tubeless in the coming weeks and wanted some advice;

• whats a good off-road tyre for fairly rough terraine but also ok for a fair amount of road training ?
  • is it advisable to get your lbs to do the conversion or can one do one's self ?
  • when running on tubeless - does one carry a spare tube and plugs or do bombs and plugs suffice ?

Thanks

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Thanks

- Mountain king front, race king rear (both conti). Many will advocate for Scwalbe though.

- Easy to do yourself, search youtube for how-to vids

- Plugs and bombs usually suffice

Reckon you'll get as many suggestions as there are tyres in regards to the first one... But to be honest - a tyre thick and nobbly enough to handle rough terrain is surely always going to be less than ideal on tar, and vice versa?

In regards to the 2nd - if you have the time, and do proper research both here on the Hub - and youtube - then it can certainly be done competently at home... Of course it helps if you are also able to change a light-bulb/re-wire a plug/build a small nuclear device/are good with your hands....

Re 3 - I've been carrying everything with me since I converted - more than 4(?) years now. Used plenty of bombs (6 on my mate's setup alone - long story), and have used the plugs twice. Never used the tube. Needed to once - but couldn't get the valve out, so ended up walking...

Tyres, Geax Saguarno and Mezcal. Good rolling resistance, nice grip.

Geax Saguaro has a continuous center rib which lets it roll much better than Mountain/Race Kings, etc, on the road, and yet it still has good grip on the rough..........IMHO!

Reckon you'll get as many suggestions as there are tyres in regards to the first one... But to be honest - a tyre thick and nobbly enough to handle rough terrain is surely always going to be less than ideal on tar, and vice versa?

In regards to the 2nd - if you have the time, and do proper research both here on the Hub - and youtube - then it can certainly be done competently at home... Of course it helps if you are also able to change a light-bulb/re-wire a plug/build a small nuclear device/are good with your hands....

Re 3 - I've been carrying everything with me since I converted - more than 4(?) years now. Used plenty of bombs (6 on my mate's setup alone - long story), and have used the plugs twice. Never used the tube. Needed to once - but couldn't get the valve out, so ended up walking...

I always end up giving my spare tube to someone else who does not have 2bliss on a ride

I have not used a tube in 5 years.Plugs,bombs and snot is what is the order of the day