MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I can't say for certain which store stocks them, so best to phone around: action cycling, revolution, olympic cycles, crown cycles etc.

If you want an intermediate tyre that can do it all, then try the Schwalbe Muddy Mary or Schwalbe Magic Mary. It's a superb all-weather tyre that rolls very very well despite the tall knobs. Take it in vertstar. Don't know who sells em in Cape Town though, as I've sourced my stock of them online. Meh @ exchange rate damages.

I have a brand new Muddy Mary if anyone's interested in buying it: 26", vertstar, folding bead, snakeskin, the whole toot. Make me an offer.

To those that want Muddy Mary or Fat Alberts - we can do a special order for them. Price is +/-R700 a tyre for the Snakeskin versions.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send us a mail - if we do not have it in stock we can order it in...

I will bookmark your site for next time once the Spez tyres are toast.

And the Magic Mary?

Agreed. Rather get the Magic Mary (super gravity), preferably foldable and Vertstar and Trailstar compounds.

But i expect ridiculous prices...

Snakeskin is the casing - the normal TLR (tubeless ready) aren't really strong enough to ride in the Cape with all our different terrain, and the Snakeskin ones are. They have an extra layer of protection on the sidewalls and under the tread. The TLR Evo has an extra layer on the sidewalls, but not under the tread.

Pacestar / Trailstar / Vertstar are the compounds. Pacestar is the hardest, vertstar the softest. Trailstar is the happy medium, offering a good amount of grip without wearing out too fast. I wouldn't put a pacestar on the front.

Thanks very much for that info.

I bought a pacestar front tyre for my merida 26', which I use while I am visiting cape town / hermanus.

The trails on table mtn and in hermanus are pretty rough, so I will find out soon enough whether the sidewalls will survive - hopefully, without a face plant.

You only learn the hard way or the expensive way...

Since I replaced the stock tyres on my Merida TFS (years ago), I rode on Mountain King front and back. Then, when I got a new bike, they have Crossmark Lust. I've been loving the crossmark, but the time has come to replace them. I've had some pretty hectic front wheel slide, but I think that is more related to wear than a tyre fault.

torn between getting another brand like Geax for example.

Agreed. Rather get the Magic Mary (super gravity), preferably foldable and Vertstar and Trailstar compounds.

But i expect ridiculous prices...

+1

Naas, I'd likely be in for a Magic Mary Trailstar (Snakeskin) if you could determine a price, instead of a Muddy Mary.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also in the midst of needing to get new tyres for my 29er. Current knoblies are not agressive enough. I'm not tubeless and don't plan on changing anytime soon. I was looking at the Specialized Ground Control Sport, would this be an ok tyre to get?

Would you guys mix and match different tyres from different manufacturers?

With me going to be doing more actual Mtb races this year and not just train on my Mtb, I have the following tyres to put on my 26" er.

1 x Geax Saguaro, 2.2

1 x Geax Mezcal 2.1

Conti X King 2.2 (2 sets)

1 x Noby Nic 2.2

1 x Wtb Wolverine 2.2

All fairly new with lots of tread left.

Which one to fit to the front, which one at the rear?

Currently have the X King 2.2 at front and Mezcal 2.1 at the back. Works well for now, but doubt the Mezcal will give any kind of reliable grip in mud and wet conditions.

Don't want to go and buy new tyres, having a stash of slightly used tyres to my disposal.

Edited by Wannabe

Would you guys mix and match different tyres from different manufacturers?

With me going to be doing more actual Mtb races this year and not just train on my Mtb, I have the following tyres to put on my 26" er.

1 x Geax Saguaro, 2.2

1 x Geax Mezcal 2.1

Conti X King 2.2 (2 sets)

1 x Noby Nic 2.2

1 x Wtb Wolverine 2.2

All fairly new with lots of tread left.

Which one to fit to the front, which one at the rear?Geax saguaro rear .,Nobby nic or x king front

Currently have the X King 2.2 at front and Mezcal 2.1 at the back. Works well for now, but doubt the Mezcal will give any kind of reliable grip in mud and wet conditions.

Don't want to go and buy new tyres, having a stash of slightly used tyres to my disposal.

+1

Naas, I'd likely be in for a Magic Mary Trailstar (Snakeskin) if you could determine a price, instead of a Muddy Mary.

Naas: any word getting some Magic in? Spoke with a retail store owner, and he just shook his head in disappointment when I mentioned Schwalbe presence in ZA. What can y'all do for us though?

While I'm sitting with my hand out, can I ask for you to consider the following as well?

• Michelin Wild Grip'R 2, 2.35"
  • Bontrager G5 2.35"

Thanks! :thumbup:

Edited by Capricorn

Hey guys,

Whilst you guys are at it,you might want to give Matthew at easybike a shout.

He is a Schwalbe guy,with THE BEST prices I have seen yet.

Click on his site,his number should be there,and give him a shout.

Awesome dude.

www.easybike.co.za

Guys, still need your help and advise here!!

Doing the Gravel Travel this weekend, and don't want to be caught with a rear wheel that turns into a slick at the first sign of mud / turf.

Onza Canis. I run a canis rear (2.35? the fattish one) and an ibex front. These transformed my bike (Fourstroke 26er). The ibex is a bit slow, but grippy and not for tar. Canis is fast rolling and grippier than larsons/monorail/kenda karma/slant six/revolt super x that I previously ran. I will not buy another tire if I can find these.

I had Onza tires for a while. Superb tires in terms of grip and on trail performance, but tread wore very quickly. Not good if you do a mix of road and off-road.

Guys, still need your help and advise here!!

Doing the Gravel Travel this weekend, and don't want to be caught with a rear wheel that turns into a slick at the first sign of mud / turf.

In that case, Nobby Nics are your answer. Get a 2.25 for the front, 2.1 for the rear.