MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I had Saguaros front and rear and it was ok, but not incredibly confidence inspiring.  I could still corner fast, but just got used to the under-steer from the front.

Recently changed to a Mitas Kratos on the front with the old front Saguaro now out back.  The difference in grip, feel, confidence and tracking is astounding. On my first test ride I came within one second of my best ever descent time on the sketchiest descent around here (also second fasted time down there this year, so I wasn't dawdling!).  The level of grip in the front is incredible!  It just immediately made the whole bike feel different.

Never again will I have a fast rolling tyre on the front!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently put WTB Weirwolf/Nineline combo on my Anthem. What's the durability of these like? I replaced a set of conti x-kings that were weeping and loosing chunks of tread. I was surprised at the poor life i got out of the contis

Weirwolf is a lekker tyre, not sure about the nineline.

All depends on the casing you got when it comes to durability. 

Weirwolf is a lekker tyre, not sure about the nineline.

All depends on the casing you got when it comes to durability. 

another vote for the weirwolf by WTB - but they can be a ##### to get on the rim

Recently put WTB Weirwolf/Nineline combo on my Anthem. What's the durability of these like? I replaced a set of conti x-kings that were weeping and loosing chunks of tread. I was surprised at the poor life i got out of the contis

my conti x king weeping like a baby too. need to top-up sealant every second week now. had the raceking at the back and tossed it as because the entire side walls thread was exposed and also had to top up sealant every 2 weeks. my bike is set up for marathon fun races but i ride trail when not "racing". I replaced my rear tyre with racing ralph but still deciding on a front tyre. what tyre would be similar to the x-kings? I will never buy conti protection tyres again. they just dont hold up. they tend to die way before the tread has gone. 

my conti x king weeping like a baby too. need to top-up sealant every second week now. had the raceking at the back and tossed it as because the entire side walls thread was exposed and also had to top up sealant every 2 weeks. my bike is set up for marathon fun races but i ride trail when not "racing". I replaced my rear tyre with racing ralph but still deciding on a front tyre. what tyre would be similar to the x-kings? I will never buy conti protection tyres again. they just dont hold up. they tend to die way before the tread has gone. 

Something with more grip than a Racing Ralph, for one.

Nobby Nic (new one) 

Magic Mary

Onza Ibex

Onza Canis

Maxxis Ardent 

Maxxis Minion

WTB Trail Boss

WTB Weirwolf

WTB Bronson

Yes, all the above are meaty tyres. But when it comes to front end grip, you should not be prioritising "rolling resistance" when it only really matters on the back. Front is for GRIP. Weight penalty is a very small inconvenience when compared to the extra grip you get. 

Something with more grip than a Racing Ralph, for one.

Nobby Nic (new one) 

Magic Mary

Onza Ibex

Onza Canis

Maxxis Ardent 

Maxxis Minion

WTB Trail Boss

WTB Weirwolf

WTB Bronson

Yes, all the above are meaty tyres. But when it comes to front end grip, you should not be prioritising "rolling resistance" when it only really matters on the back. Front is for GRIP. Weight penalty is a very small inconvenience when compared to the extra grip you get. 

Thanks Myles, i am leaning towards the canis indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just read thru the whole thread and still a bit unsure.

So here is the deal. I ride a 2014 trance and a 2013 silverback slade. Both with vredestein black panther 2.2, the slade has the xtrac up front.

Run them around 2 bar (I'm 90kg) and I find the front washes out, fell on the slade and don't have much confidence in the tight stuff on the trance at the moment. Felt very sketchy at northern farms this weekend.

I rode with a 2.25 ardent front and 2.1 sb8 rear on my silverback sola and thay felt way more grippy.

Suggestions for an front tyre that inspires confidence on singletrack in the corners please?

I think I might also be running the tyres a bit hard.

Hey guys, just read thru the whole thread and still a bit unsure.

So here is the deal. I ride a 2014 trance and a 2013 silverback slade. Both with vredestein black panther 2.2, the slade has the xtrac up front.

Run them around 2 bar (I'm 90kg) and I find the front washes out, fell on the slade and don't have much confidence in the tight stuff on the trance at the moment. Felt very sketchy at northern farms this weekend.

I rode with a 2.25 ardent front and 2.1 sb8 rear on my silverback sola and thay felt way more grippy.

Suggestions for an front tyre that inspires confidence on singletrack in the corners please?

I think I might also be running the tyres a bit hard.

SEE MY POST ABOVE

Don't skimp on grip for the front. Hardly any rolling resistance when pedalling as it has hardly any weight on it, but when it gets gnarly you want it to grip. Sick of weight weenie tyres and "rolling resistance" when it comes to front tyres. Then people wonder why their fast rolling tyres wash out all the time...

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Hi all. Looking for your advice. I have Onza Canis 120tpi front and Racing Ralph Snakeskin rear. The RR is weepy, perished and has a big cut that 3 plugs couldnt fix. Should i try and fix it and if so, how?

If not, i need to buy a tire...now i need to either get another low profile tire in the back, or move the Canis to the back and get a bigger tyre in the front.

Use is hardtail xc, with a lot of sub 20km road rides in the week. Although i would like something meaty for the trails.

My options this far are either a 2.3 specialized tires or Onza Ibex for the front, or another Canis / Maxxis Crossmark UST for the front/back.

Advice please, bearing in mind the road use now and then. Will the road eat up a fat front tire?

Thanks in advance

SEE MY POST ABOVE

Don't skimp on grip for the front. Hardly any rolling resistance when pedalling as it has hardly any weight on it, but when it gets gnarly you want it to grip. Sick of weight weenie tyres and "rolling resistance" when it comes to front tyres. Then people wonder why their fast rolling tyres wash out all the time...

Exactly right.  More people should heed this advice.

Edited by Sepia

im running a NN up front and the new Mezcal G+ on rear. Have to say im impressed with the mezcal, it holds a line well and has plenty grip bur still rolls well. obviously the durability still needs to be confirmed but so far its looking good.

Hi all. Looking for your advice. I have Onza Canis 120tpi front and Racing Ralph Snakeskin rear. The RR is weepy, perished and has a big cut that 3 plugs couldnt fix. Should i try and fix it and if so, how?

If not, i need to buy a tire...now i need to either get another low profile tire in the back, or move the Canis to the back and get a bigger tyre in the front.

Use is hardtail xc, with a lot of sub 20km road rides in the week. Although i would like something meaty for the trails.

My options this far are either a 2.3 specialized tires or Onza Ibex for the front, or another Canis / Maxxis Crossmark UST for the front/back.

Advice please, bearing in mind the road use now and then. Will the road eat up a fat front tire?

Thanks in advance

Don't skimp. Ibex.

Don't skimp. Ibex.

Thanks Myles. Would the beefy Ibex not be worn out from road riding? That, and would the 2.4 width still work with my 24mm Giant rims at low pressures? 

Could you perhaps also comment on the option of saving a weepy racing ralph with a cut that keeps lengthening as I keep adding plugs? Last night I plugged it with 3 and pumped the tire to 3bar, 15 minutes later the pressure forced all 3 plugs out of the cut, sealant everywhere. 

Thanks Myles. Would the beefy Ibex not be worn out from road riding? That, and would the 2.4 width still work with my 24mm Giant rims at low pressures? 

Could you perhaps also comment on the option of saving a weepy racing ralph with a cut that keeps lengthening as I keep adding plugs? Last night I plugged it with 3 and pumped the tire to 3bar, 15 minutes later the pressure forced all 3 plugs out of the cut, sealant everywhere. 

There's your problem right there!!