MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Ikon or Ardent Race out back, Ardent Race on the front. Ardent Race doesn't look like it has much bite, but it grips plenty when you lean it over. As long as you don't expect Minion level grip from it and ride it like it's intended to be ridden it is more than fine.

Over a three day stage race I'd rather save the weight and have less rolling resistance. I did the Berg & Bush with the Ikon/Ardent Race combo (similar terrain to Sani I believe) on my Stumpy, and didn't feel like the tyres held me back at all.

See, I get this. But I'd also love to have the choice of an Ikon or an ardent race or Ikon etc in a proper tough casing for the back, and I would want minion levels of grip at the front. ???? Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, which is why I said that his stated combo would be absolutely fine. I just injected my personal preferences, too. For that ride, I'm sure I'd also be fine on it, but given my experiences I find 200g to be a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

And no, dude. Nothing douchey about it. What the real douche seems not to understand is that my recommendations are based not only in my personal experiences, but also those of those I ride with, and the articles etc that I read and understand.

But hey. I wouldn't ride that combo (unless they came in proper casings), but it doesn't mean Chad shouldn't.

I wasnt asking for advice, I just questioned the fast rolling Assegai comment, I dont think Assegai and fast rolling can be used in the same sentence.

Not to be offensive, but in all honesty, I wouldnt take your advice on tyres, not because it isnt good advice, but because it isnt relevant to me.

I am a fat, slow, unfit noob in Gauteng, there is very little need for me to have DH casings and all the weight that comes with them, at the moment I have a Slaughter/Butcher combo, stock tyres on my bike, with GRID casing, and have had zero punctures or dinged rims.

Edited by Chadvdw67

I love those slaughters, so fast.

Re fast rolling assegai. Yeah that's a contradiction in terms for sure, but it has a lower impact at the front. Norrafok would I suggest it for the back.

No offence taken at all tho man.

Oh. Do yourself a favour and get the Eliminator when you need to change the front tyre. Really is good.

For the purposes of Downcountry tho, my choice remains slaughter R / elim F. @grease - is my def of Downcountry maybe a bit different to yours? I think it's essentially "endurofying" a short travel bike.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Re fast rolling assegai. Yeah that's a contradiction in terms for sure, but it has a lower impact at the front. Norrafok would I suggest it for the back.

Oh. Do yourself a favour and get the Eliminator when you need to change the front tyre. Really is good.

For the purposes of Downcountry tho, my choice remains slaughter R / elim F. @grease - is my def of Downcountry maybe a bit different to yours? I think it's essentially "endurofying" a short travel bike.

Cool, I am actually looking at tyres at the moment, so will keep them in mind, had a quick look at them and they look like a good option

Cool, I am actually looking at tyres at the moment, so will keep them in mind, had a quick look at them and they look like a good option

They feel like a good option, too. They're pretty much an aggressor-lite. Shorter knobs than the Assguy and better transition knobs than the old butcher. New Butcher also looks kiff, but I haven't ridden one yet. 

Taking on Pinkbike's moniker of 'down-country' bikes, what are opinions on tyre combos that would fit this category? Tyres that sport some reasonably aggressive tread but remain decently fast rolling.

If going with Maxxis, perhaps something like an Aggressor up front (2.5WT) and Ikon (2.35) out back would fit the bill. Any other thoughts?

Thats a great combo for Marathon / downcountry / whatevertftheycallitin2020

also consider Pirelli Scorpion M up front and a H for the rear.

If it more loose terrain you ride then the Scorpion S up front in maybe 2.4 Lite and the R (rear specific) or the M for the rear also in 2.4 lite.

If you're a heavy guy then just opt for the std casing not the lite. I've been enjoying the H front and rear for the last 3 months. Racked up about 2000km on them since November.

Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.35 up front and racing Ralph rear is another option. Nice and light and very grippy for lot of its life.

Vittoria Barzo 2.35 F and Mezcal rear also works but they give up grip after about 1500km once the nice sticky stuff has worn off. That doesn't work for me and the mileage I do on my MTB per annum

Sorry Myles but I disagree. A very grippy front tyre will have an effect on rolling resistance as the weight is on that tyre when the bike is pointed down. (which is the whole point of downcountry/whateverthef###they callitin2020.

Also consider that larger tyres require more physical effort from the rider to steer i.e. have to lean the bike harder, apply more pressure to the pedals, steer more with the body. This all adds up as the km's rack up

Myles.... down country bike dude. Exo is more than fine for essentially a fun marathon bike.

All 105kg of me spent this weekend doing 150km and 3000m of descending on a 2.1 Ikon on the back of a Camber and I smashed the back wheel hard a few times and I had no issues whatsoever.

2.1" ... what was this ... on your roadie bike with that narrow width :P

Sorry Myles but I disagree. A very grippy front tyre will have an effect on rolling resistance as the weight is on that tyre when the bike is pointed down. (which is the whole point of downcountry/whateverthef###they callitin2020.

Also consider that larger tyres require more physical effort from the rider to steer i.e. have to lean the bike harder, apply more pressure to the pedals,  steer more with the body. This all adds up as the km's rack up

That's fine, I know you have more experience than me on the "faster tyres" and more real world experience. I know that it will have an effect when it's weighted, and I should have clarified that (maybe the posts insinuated it won't at all, which wasn't my intention). My point was that overall, the rear tyre has more effect on rolling resistance than the front does, due to weight distro on the majority of the ride. We pedal more often than we coast, and that's where most of the RR gains are made...

For a DC bike I'd still spec one of the super grippy bois at the front. Minion / Assguy / Elim etc, but not in the heavy casings. 

The whole light tyre / heavy tyre thing brings me to this question.

I understand the forces behind a heavier tyre requiring more energy to move it, but what about the following:

would a heavier tyre with a fast rolling tread pattern be faster on a marathon race vs a lighter tyre with an aggressive and "slower rolling" tread pattern ... irrespective of the tyre being mounted front or rear.

I also think the BC bike race is a good example of what "Down Country" riding is ... see the following:

https://www.bcbikerace.com/bc-bike-race-tire-selection/

BC Bike Race Tire Selection

by BC Bike Race | Mar 4, 2019 | BC Bike LifeBC Bike RaceBCBR Training

BC Bike Race is a unique event; it may possibly be the only definitively multi-day trail bike event in the world. What does this mean? While many other events are deemed cross-country, they are carried out on cross-country trails. BC Bike Race is held on a myriad of blue square and black diamond trails. And by its very nature, roots, rocks, and mud abound. As with any travel adventure, barring your own inherent knowledge, stick with what the locals know/do.

On the west coast of British Columbia, we have been mountain biking for some time and have adapted well to our terrain. That adaptation and the contact patch you connect to the trail with is a key element of the “fun-factor”, so let’s have a quick and dirty dive into the recommended tires and subsequently tire pressure that many would be advised to use?

We will divide the tire choices into 1) fast and furious or 2) knobby and grippy or the 3) a combination of the two.

Race – those aiming for podiums would be well advised to gun for low rolling resistance that still maintains the high volume 2.2”, slash resistant sidewalls. You should also, always use tire sealant, not tubes. For this category, anything resembling a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 (size) with EXO (casing) TR (tubeless ready) and possibly the more grippy 3C (compound) would be in the right department. These would be the right choice for front and rear.

Note: Lighter suspension or heavier riders may choose a 2.3 size tire, or petite people may opt for the 2.1 size, but remember 7days of bumping around only gets eased by the cushion of your suspension and tires.

Ride – for those aiming to have a blast, rail corners and meander up the hills – all of the above applies but maybe a size up on casing (2.3 or 2. 5) and more knob will do the trick. Something like the Maxxis Minnion DHR or DHF, in above-mentioned size (2.3 - 2.5) and EXO (casing) sidewall with TR (tubeless ready) and again the more grippy 3C (compound) to give maximum and BC approved riding enjoyment, please use tire sealant and not tubes.

Note: there are other knobbier tires within all companies, use these profiles as guides.

Combination – Now assuming you want to partner up with a bit of both of those attributes – let’s consider a knobbier front tire and a fast rolling rear tire – This is the perfect blend of rolling thunder and trail control – makes a nice blend. The front would be the Maxxis Minnion DHF or DHR(2.3-2.5)  and the rear would be a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 – with all the above mentioned  - EXO, TR, 3C and of course don’t stray away from the tire sealant this is a critical part of success.

Andreas HestlAndreas-Hestler2-1500x998.jpger is an Olympian (1996), 5X Canadian National Champion, 3X Winner of the Trans Rockies, and also competed in road, CX, and Xterra. Andreas is also the Marketing Director for BCBike Race and has competed in the event every year since it began in 2007.  

I understand the forces behind a heavier tyre requiring more energy to move it, but what about the following:

would a heavier tyre with a fast rolling tread pattern be faster on a marathon race vs a lighter tyre with an aggressive and "slower rolling" tread pattern ... irrespective of the tyre being mounted front or rear.

I don't know, and I don't remember seeing any tests with those sorts of guidelines. I've seen the recent ones by GMBN and Vital, but they all do a comparison between lightweight fast rolling and heavy grippy, not heavy fast rolling & lightweight grippy. That would be a very interesting comparison, and teh compound would also come into it... 

For the back, I'd love an Ikon in DD casing, but they just don't exist. Closest would be the Slaughter / Minion SS / Rock Razor / e13 jobby, which is what I'll get next (again)

I tried this experiment last year using a Duro tyres Cypher also know as Definitive Bikes Dominator.

At 760gr for a 2.1 with pimples for thread it rolls fast but its essentially a fast rolling trail tyre in a narrow width to keep the rolling resistance in check.

Swapped both between the Vittoria BArzo Mazcal combo because they're around the same weight.

The Vittoria still rolled faster and felt lighter due to the construction being a lighter casing. The weight was in the extra rubber on the top for puncture protection but the sidewalls are noticeably more supple. This played directly to the rolling resistance.

I still use the Cyphers. They are great budget tyres and for training they wear well but they're not race tyres.

The point is that paring down the tread blocks only delivers a very small incremental benefit. The biggest benefit to RR comes from the casing

Nothing quite like a good tyre debate!

I get the point the Captain is making about DD casing, I've punched a hole straight through an Icon EXO tyre without too much effort really. So casing is a clear consideration from my perspective too as nothing quite kills a ride like a hole just above the tyre beading! Certainly do like the fast rolling of the Icon, but as above maybe the "Slaughter / Minion SS/ Rock Razor / e13 jobby" is the better consideration with heavier casing (from my perspective at least). Have ridden the Minion SS before which I found great but the tyre did develop bubbles in the tread over time which seems to be a known issue.

Interestingly, it seems most suggestions center on Maxxis and Spaz combos (aside from D&D's suggestion above). Is this genuinely because Maxxis and Spaz make the best tread patterns/options? Or is it more because they're some of the best options we have available in SA that go the distance and stand up to abuse (given tyres don't come cheap)?

Another question, given the suggestion of the Vittoria tyre combo, anyone ridden the Aggaro? And what's the indication for the Maxxis Dissector coming to SA?

Nothing quite like a good tyre debate!

I get the point the Captain is making about DD casing, I've punched a hole straight through an Icon EXO tyre without too much effort really. So casing is a clear consideration from my perspective too as nothing quite kills a ride like a hole just above the tyre beading! Certainly do like the fast rolling of the Icon, but as above maybe the "Slaughter / Minion SS/ Rock Razor / e13 jobby" is the better consideration with heavier casing (from my perspective at least). Have ridden the Minion SS before which I found great but the tyre did develop bubbles in the tread over time which seems to be a known issue.

Interestingly, it seems most suggestions center on Maxxis and Spaz combos (aside from D&D's suggestion above). Is this genuinely because Maxxis and Spaz make the best tread patterns/options? Or is it more because they're some of the best options we have available in SA that go the distance and stand up to abuse (given tyres don't come cheap)?

Another question, given the suggestion of the Vittoria tyre combo, anyone ridden the Aggaro? And what's the indication for the Maxxis Dissector coming to SA?

my experiences exactly. 

As for Maxxis / Spaz - Stoke carry Maxxis, and they're my go to. I used to ride Schwalbes Magic Mary  up front (which I still LOVE) but it's not a tyre I'd choose to run on the back, again and local availability is spotty in the variant I like (Super Gravity)

Spaz is also decently priced and the Slaughter is my favourite of those types of tyres (ridden the slaughter, Minion SS & Rock Razor) as it has the best straight line braking performance, and it's pretty cheap, comparatively. Plus it comes in a good casing. 

Dissector should be here soon, apparently. I also want to try the Vittoria Moto and others, as well as the Kendas which you can now get locally.