MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I currently have a ground control 2.3 grid up front. Do i get a gc grid 2.3 or ardent lust 2.25 for rear. Same price

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Fast track 2.1 Grid rear, working well so far.

This. Been running a Ground Control 2.3 Grid front and Fast Track 2.1 Grid rear for almost a month and I'm loving them. Plenty of grip and rolls well

I have a ground control 2.3 grid up front and an ardent lust 2.25 on the back and it works well.

• 7 months later...

clearly some suit had a look at margins and decided that cyclists are happy to be ripped off!!

29718261_1951412218244791_17203765909588

coming soon to a bike shop near you - 

yes goodyear been making tyres so long they're bringing all their fancy ass compounds to the bike world. won't be cheap, it seems

New Spez tires got some bad publicity because they seem to have less volume, are heavier, and only 60 TPI. The only improvement of the new Spez tyres is the Gripton compound. And the new Scwalbe tyres are much more expensive but not much better/lighter than the previous models. These days it seems that the tyre versions the pros use are not available to the public - maybe not all brands.

New Spez tires got some bad publicity because they seem to have less volume, are heavier, and only 60 TPI. The only improvement of the new Spez tyres is the Gripton compound. And the new Scwalbe tyres are much more expensive but not much better/lighter than the previous models. These days it seems that the tyre versions the pros use are not available to the public - maybe not all brands.

new schwalbe tyres? Referring to the Addix range or has something new rolling around for 2018/2019?

I see everybody is riding the new 29 x 2.25 maxxis aspen but nobody is reviewing or talking about them. Any opinions out there?

Which one for rear wheel?

Maxxis IKON (TR/3C/Exo) - R450

Vittoria Barzo TNT - R420

I do mostly rocky, technical rides (XC) and a couple of marathons inbetween

• 2 weeks later...

Trying the true China route my china. Put a Chaoyang Hornet 2.2 on the front of my hardtail. Riding at 18lbs pressure. Rolls well-even fast, not very noisy on paved surface, coped well with very rocky section of Hobby Park purple route, corners securely. No wet stuff yet so I don't know if this is the typical Chinese high in nylon with no grip type of 'rubber' or if they have done the proper thing and made the tyre with grippy side rubber. I feel there are too many knobs for cornering, its overkill and adds weight.The knobs are tall with sloped sides which should help shed mud but with the tightly packed knob pattern, i suspect these tyres will be a true mud horror.

Why buy? Cost about R100 less than other affordable tyres.

I'll go with the Ikon. I never had problems with it.

clearly some suit had a look at margins and decided that cyclists are happy to be ripped off!!

29718261_1951412218244791_17203765909588

coming soon to a bike shop near you - 

yes goodyear been making tyres so long they're bringing all their fancy ass compounds to the bike world. won't be cheap, it seems

Looks remarkably similar to Ardent Race? 

Front Onza Ibex and rear Onza Svelte - 120tpi (29x2.25)

&;

Front Schwalbe Nobby Nic and rear Schwalbe Rock Razor - Speed Addix & Snake Skin (27.5x2.6)

ikon rear ..Barzo front is what i use

Comparison question:

Currently have Racing Ralph's snake skins front and rear on my bike. I have managed to pinch flat the rear twice at Wolwespruit. (That's 2 holes per puncture)

Will it be any different fitting a Ground Control GRID on the rear or are they similar to the RR SS (from a durability POV)? Or should I just go for a Russian tank at the back (Crossmarks)?