MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I can recommend Vittorio Barzo/Saguaro combo and also maxxis ikon/ardent combo .If you ride often the continental X-king,s work well .They are light and strong but will go flat and perish if not used regularly .As a grippy front tyre Swalbe Nobby nic is also a good choice .Obviously all except the vittorio in the extra sidewall protection versions, 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably stick to what I have then, I had the few odd punctures with the saguaro in the rear. I had to plug it about three times however, this was over a distance of about 4000km.

I've had the same issue with my Saguaro. But to be fair Vittoria state a minimum pressure of 2 bar which feels very hard to me so I've been riding with lower pressures. Going to attempt riding with 2 bar and see how it feels. 

I ride the Saguaro Barzo combo on by rigid SS. Can never remember which is front and rear, however I run front at 1.6 bar and rear at 1.8 bar. Have pummelled them through the rock gardens at Northern Farms, through the jumps at BRB and down the Supertube at Buffelsdrift.

Apart from the few punctures, caused by thorns and a piece of barbed wire I didn't see, I am yet to have a sidewall cut.

I can recommend Vittorio Barzo/Saguaro combo and also maxxis ikon/ardent combo .If you ride often the continental X-king,s work well .They are light and strong but will go flat and perish if not used regularly .As a grippy front tyre Swalbe Nobby nic is also a good choice .Obviously all except the vittorio in the extra sidewall protection versions, 

Hi Blitzer, on the Ardent did you ride a 2.25 or 2.4 in front? I need a new front tyre and was wondering if the 2.4 will make the bike slower due to it being chunkier. I ride mainly XC, and understand the benefits of the wider tyre for better grip but will it handicap you for rolling speed?

Thx

Hi Blitzer, on the Ardent did you ride a 2.25 or 2.4 in front? I need a new front tyre and was wondering if the 2.4 will make the bike slower due to it being chunkier. I ride mainly XC, and understand the benefits of the wider tyre for better grip but will it handicap you for rolling speed?

Thx

Not very scientific, but something to think about. 

Thx

Tread pattern mainly dictates roling resistance, and extra .15" won't add much to that. The 2.4" ardent is a very big tyre though (in terms of height and volume). I have ardent race (2.35) and Ardent (2.4) combo on my XC bike. It rolls fast, but the thing I love about it is how high volume they are allowing for low pressures...

• 3 weeks later...

Ardents in 2.4 and some more enduro worthy treads also in 26" available at Stoke Suspension for rather tasty prices (all things considered) Picked up a pair of Ardents for use on my wife's Zula and my hardtail. 

• 1 month later...

Dear Hubbers.

Does any one know the lightest race tubeless Mtb 2,2 tires on the market ? And where to get the?

All suggestions welcome, I rode with 2,4 and 2,5 types and it was so not for racing.

Grams or spec welcome

Thank you.

Edited by Forthelove

Dear Hubbers.

Does any one know the lightest race tubeless Mtb 2,2 tires on the market ? And where to get the?

All suggestions welcome, I rode with 2,4 and 2,5 types and it was so not for racing.

Grams or spec welcome

Thank you.

Dear Hubbers.

Grams or spec welcome

Thank you.

2.0 s-works casing renegades will probably be the lightest 

...although the average gatorskin will have more grip  :whistling:

Ok ok but please give me some info on light 2,2 tires . I can’t find weights and not have loot for carbon rims.

Go onto Maxxis, Specialized, Onza, Schwalbe sites. All the weights and info is on their sites. Then just Google for reviews on the ones you find interesting.

Start with:

- Spaz Fast Trak or Renegades

- Maxxis Ikons, Ardent Race, Aspen or Rekon Race

- Onza Svelt

- Schwalbe Racing Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a suggestion on tyres:

1. I'm 95kg, so have found that 2.35-2.4 tyres seem to work better

2. I mostly ride Tygerberg (spent way too much time losing rear wheel grip up to the tower on bloemendal yesterday)

3. I like very grippy tyres (last tyre I really liked was a Nobby Nic)

4. The most important thing is puncture resistance (an extra couple of 100g on the tyres makes very little difference when you are heavy)