MTB Tyre Choices

patches

11 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

I do. Alternates between them and gravel tires on my Hybrid. Been using for a few years now, no problems at all. 

The problem with these tires, it seems I can't find any 2.4 models.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Mine is 700x35c, so quite skinny.

What options are out there if you looking at a 2.3 mtb tyre, fast rolling, decent grip on drym hard pack. It seems vitoria and maxis are only 2.35 and not 2.3? Spez maybe, but then its over a grand a tyre?

1 hour ago, Spafsack said:

What options are out there if you looking at a 2.3 mtb tyre, fast rolling, decent grip on drym hard pack. It seems vitoria and maxis are only 2.35 and not 2.3? Spez maybe, but then its over a grand a tyre?

You'll be lucky to find any tyres which are not older stock which are under R1k now. Spez Ground Control in Grid Trail casing out back. Not sure they still have a lighter casing...most likely do though.

5 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Try the Bontrager XR3, I've had two sets over the years and really like them. Really fast rolling, decent lifespan, robust, handle well with predictable cornering and good climbing grip. Pricing may be close to a grand though, like most brand tyres. 

Alternatively also take a look at Kenda, Chaoyang, CST, Good Year and Michelin. All very under rated. Hutchinson and Tufo also worth a look. 

Edited by Danger Dassie

On 4/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, Super Sywurm said:

I recently bought Pirelli Scorpion MTB XCRace Lite 2.4. Std casing also available

On 4/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, Super Sywurm said:

Anybody ridiging with Chaoyang mtb tyres?  I have a pair of Vipers (slicks) on a wheel set I use for road riding, pretty good for the price.

I have a Chaoyang Hornet 27.5 2.1 on the back. I don't find it very grippy. The problem with my comparison is that my previous tyre/wheel on the same bike was a 26 2.25 Maxxis Crossmark II so there would have been quite a difference in feel even if tyre make and model were the same.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, Spafsack said:

Maxxis 2.35 tyres mount very narrow (on a 30mm internal diameter rim), so may be worth a bash.

Try: Recon, Recon Race, Ardent, Ardent Race

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 3:18 PM, Super Sywurm said:

Imagine being in my shoes, I need to buy new car tires and mountain bike tires at the same time...

ALL THE CHOICES...

I'm in the same boat. And my car apparently has strange tyre size.....

5 minutes ago, madbradd said:

I'm in the same boat. And my car apparently has strange tyre size.....

The stranger, the more expensive. 

Looking for a bit of advice on replacing xc tyres. Currently running Barzo 2.25 front and rear on 25mm internal rims. Gonna need to replace the rear soon and the front shortly after.

Riding mainly in CT southern suburbs. Going to be my first winter in CT so not sure what to expect.

Needs to be affordable - maxxis looking quite good but I'm used to Schwalbe / Vittoria so not entirely sure. Rekon, Rekon Race (rear only), Ardent Race all look like solid options.

Is the crossmark grippy enough?

Is the aggressor too much rolling resistance?

Just now, Super Sywurm said:

The stranger, the more expensive. 

Yup. Mazda CX5 and tyres looking to be 4k each and up (goodyear/conti/Michelin) and Hankook also similar pricing. 

I assume you ride more xcm type terrain. I'd say the recon and recon race combo. Can get quite slimy here in wet winter CT. I wouldn't ride crossmark. Fine for roadie stuff but slippy af on sandstone-mud and everyting with a touch of moisture. 

7 hours ago, madbradd said:

Looking for a bit of advice on replacing xc tyres. Currently running Barzo 2.25 front and rear on 25mm internal rims. Gonna need to replace the rear soon and the front shortly after.

Riding mainly in CT southern suburbs. Going to be my first winter in CT so not sure what to expect.

Needs to be affordable - maxxis looking quite good but I'm used to Schwalbe / Vittoria so not entirely sure. Rekon, Rekon Race (rear only), Ardent Race all look like solid options.

Is the crossmark grippy enough?

Is the aggressor too much rolling resistance?

I'm running Rekon and Rekon race it's a great combo for me. Fast rolling and grips well. Ardent race in 2.35 is good for front and rear. 

My boet is on crossmark (came on new bike) before riding the bike he wanted to change the tyre's but so far he is really happy with them. 

If you want to be like Niño I have a new set of 2.4wt Aspin at a 2 for 1 price if interested 😁