MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Vish999 said:

So I went with Rekon Race on the front and Forekaster rear. Both 2.35.

Front Wheel Wash Out Usually Means that the Tyre Pressure is Too High.

1 hour ago, Vish999 said:

So I went with Rekon Race on the front and Forekaster rear. Both 2.35.

Personally I'd swap these around. The forekaster should give you more grip on the front than the recon race. I've used this set up for xc riding.

11 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Front Wheel Wash Out Usually Means that the Tyre Pressure is Too High.

Agree with this, but there are other factors. Technique (weight the front of the bike and leaning the bike over) and type of tyre (DHR should grip more than a recon race). Probably others I can't think of right now.

I've also found going too low on pressure can result in the tyre rolling over and not getting the right support from the carcass and the knobs not being in the right place when the tyre deforms.

I run my front pressure between 19 and 20 psi.

After hearing about Schwalbe having good results in the epic and some good feedback on the internet, Im planning my next set of tires. My current tires are still fine but if I find some tires I like, I would add them to the inventory.. my current tires are Spez Fast Trak and Ground Control. I did like a Barzo more than the Ground Control as far as grip is concerned.

So the options Im looking at:

Racing Ralph and Racing Ray

Mezcal and Mezcal

Fast Trak and Fast Trak (Renegade?)

Recon Race/Aspen

Pirelli?

I would like to stick to a fast running combo with the option of keeping a Barzo or Forekaster (or something similar) as a backup option if the conditions require it.

A few years ago I heard horror stories about Schwalbes reliability but can anyone please give some experience on the latest models? 

I'd love some tanwall tires, but it seems you only get those with a less durable sidewall so probably not ideal.

And now for the bonus question, haha.....

As I'm recovering from a ruptured achilles and will hopefully only start pedalling by the end of the month on the trainer, I was thinking of putting on a set of Vittoria Terreno gravel tires on my mtb as I will probably only ride on the tar road for the upcoming months. What does the hub say?

9 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

After hearing about Schwalbe having good results in the epic and some good feedback on the internet, Im planning my next set of tires. My current tires are still fine but if I find some tires I like, I would add them to the inventory.. my current tires are Spez Fast Trak and Ground Control. I did like a Barzo more than the Ground Control as far as grip is concerned.

Mezcal and Mezcal

Recon Race/Aspen

Pirelli?

I would like to stick to a fast running combo with the option of keeping a Barzo or Forekaster (or something similar) as a backup option if the conditions require it.

A few years ago I heard horror stories about Schwalbes reliability but can anyone please give some experience on the latest models? 

I'd love some tanwall tires, but it seems you only get those with a less durable sidewall so probably not ideal.

As I'm recovering from a ruptured achilles and will hopefully only start pedalling by the end of the month on the trainer, I was thinking of putting on a set of Vittoria Terreno gravel tires on my mtb as I will probably only ride on the tar road for the upcoming months. What does the hub say?

Agree 100% with the Terreno's if you going to stick mostly to the road for now.

I fitted Aspens 2.4 front & back a while ago and so far so good, very happy with them, decent grip and relatively fast rolling also.

Would also like to try the Racing Ralph & Ray combination, maybe when the Aspens are finished.

4 hours ago, figjam_sa said:

Mezcal and Mezcal

Recon Race/Aspen

Pirelli?

4 hours ago, TheoG said:

Agree 100% with the Terreno's if you going to stick mostly to the road for now.

I fitted Aspens 2.4 front & back a while ago and so far so good, very happy with them, decent grip and relatively fast rolling also.

Would also like to try the Racing Ralph & Ray combination, maybe when the Aspens are finished.

I have been trying out the Schwalbe’s for the last while, started with the Ray 2.35 on both front and rear and really liked it. I’m running 30mm ID rims so really like the extra volume and lower pressure. Then I stuck a Ralph 2.25 on the back and must say that while it grips and does what it’s supposed to, I am tempted to put the Ray on the back again, as the Ralph makes the rear end feel a bit loose, but that could also be tyre pressure. So far super reliable over mixed terrain and conditions, run the Stans race sealant which seem to perform really well. But I am a stickler for replacing sealant every 3 months (Hubtiger for the win).

I am also very keen to try the Pirelli’s, but stock seems to be in short supply of the xc pro wall versions. However the Pirelli rear specific tyre might be a bit narrow for 30mm ID at 2.2

8 hours ago, Jono said:

Personally I'd swap these around. The forekaster should give you more grip on the front than the recon race. I've used this set up for xc riding.

Thanks might consider doing this. 

I did not enjoy the Schwalbys on my commuter ...

Had to ride it at almost 3bar .... rock hard and umcomfortable.  Any lower and the tires would roll and feel wobbly on tar.

At about 2,5 bar I hopped off a pavement and the front popped off the rim and off loaded me into the road ... 😵

Recommendations: light XC race tires

I am busy building a sub 9kg hardtail XC 29er race bike for my daughter. Looking to fit a tire that weighs under 600grams.

Any recommendations?

3 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

Would this be a decent option for a monster cross bike ?

Looking for a tyre that is around 2.0-2.1, tubeless and fast rolling for mostly gravel riding.

Edited by Koos Likkewaan

4 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

Would this be a decent option for a monster cross bike ?

Can’t see why not…

I haven’t used this tyre myself though. My tyre choice ends up being in the 1200gr+ per tyre haha

On 7/14/2022 at 8:10 PM, Vish999 said:

Thanks might consider doing this. 

So had the 2 swopped around. The Forekaster is a great tyre. Eats up mud easily and offers plenty of grip. Miles ahead of the Ardent. Also rolls decently. Rekon race is decent for the rear but next time I would rather go with Forekaster rear as well. The grip on this tyre is superb.