MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I'm aching to try a Minion DFH/Aggressor combo, but there are so many tyres out there to choose from. ****, even the new crop of 2.6 Minions and High Roller II look schweet!

I'm currently on a set of Conti Der Barons and they're insane in mixed conditions. I'd love to chuck a Der Kaizer on the back to speed things along.

I'd also love to try out some Onza and Vittoria rubber.

Oh, the agony of choice.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just fitted Ground Control F2.3  and R2.1 the Grid version on new Arch Mk3, they felt heavier on gravel/tar and just ok on the single track. My previous wheelset/tyres X-King Protection F2.4 R2.2 on Arch Ex felt lighter and grippier.

I rode both wheelsets on Saturday and prefer my old wheels/tyres.

But the GRID's are heavy as hell...they're the toughest / heaviest tyre that Spez makes...hence the "heaviness"

But the GRID's are heavy as hell...they're the toughest / heaviest tyre that Spez makes...hence the "heaviness"

Yeah it was a bad choice by me, never checked up on actual tyre weights. I'll persevere with the GC tyres but try lower pressure or put the Conties on.  

Skinwall tyres? Yay or nay?

Are they truly the neck tattoo of the MTB world, as NicoBoshoff once said?

Was on the Spitty now the Patrol.post-52846-0-70819900-1491843774_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I bought myself a ground control 2.3 a a while ago. No when go on loose over hard pack and loose the front seems to slide alot when im turning. I did the nissan trailseeker last weekend and almost bought the farm. I slid out from under as if i locked the brakes in the turn. I run it at 1.6-1.8. My previous crossmark didn't do it that much so my question is. I don't really corner faster than i did before. Am i doing something wrong or do i have the wrong front tire

I bought myself a ground control 2.3 a a while ago. No when go on loose over hard pack and loose the front seems to slide alot when im turning. I did the nissan trailseeker last weekend and almost bought the farm. I slid out from under as if i locked the brakes in the turn. I run it at 1.6-1.8. My previous crossmark didn't do it that much so my question is. I don't really corner faster than i did before. Am i doing something wrong or do i have the wrong front tire

What's your weight?

Hey everyone! 

Riding a 2016 Giant trance (Stock 19mm internal rims) will be doing enduro events, xc (for fun) and ride Tokai trails. 

What would be my best choice for XC events (60+ km rides) 

I was using the Onza Ibex 2.25 front and Canis rear which worked well but felt like a change for the tougher Tokai ST. 

Just moved to DHF 2.3 3C EXO Front and Ikon 2.35 Rear. DHF is the best tyre I have ever used considering I cant go 2.4 due to rims atm. It grips anything and has literally changed my riding. I like the higher volume Ikon in the rear compared to the canis and seems like a tougher tyre. 

I have ordered the Maxxis Aggressor for the rear so I can use the DHF/Agg for enduro and Tokai but it's way too heavy for long XC stuff. 

What should I use for XC events? If I have the Ikon 2.35 rear which Maxxis tyre could I stick up front? Aggressor just seems pretty heavy but have not ridden it yet... I can slide out that Canis pretty easily so not sure for the front and not sure the Ibex instead of the DHF would make that much difference. Any other maxxis tyres I could get for the front end?

Thanks in advance! 

I am running the 2.35 forecaster up front , working out good for me

Awesome thanks, I ordered from ChainReaction and didn't see those on there so must have missed them. Will take a look at them, cheers 

Try a Spaz Ground Control. Wear well on tar and have decent side knobs.

I changed to them after using Maxxis for years, Ardent up front and Crossmark rear. Then got new wheelset with Icons front and back, almost lost my nuts in wet muddy conditions. Then changed to Spaz ground control, so far so good. But they leak sealant much more than Maxxis and deflates quicker than Maxxis. Also their side walls seems / is much thinner than Maxxis.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

I changed to them after using Maxxis for years, Ardent up front and Crossmark rear. Then got new wheelset with Icons front and back, almost lost my nuts in wet muddy conditions. Then changed to Spaz ground control, so far so good. But they leak sealant much more than Maxxis and deflates quicker than Maxxis. Also their side walls seems / is much thinner than Maxxis.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thanks yea think I want to try find a Maxxis tyre and if not maybe Onza seeing as though I have them. If anyone has tried those, Ardent/Ardent Race, Forekaster as mentioned above. Could put the larger Ikon upfront and have a 2.2 on the rear maybe. 

Any recommendation on a 29" MTB tyre that will be used on my weekly training bike which does long miles 80% on the road with the 20% on not much more than well manicured hardpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're probably cornering faster than you used to...

Seriously, though. The GC has oodles more grip than the crossfart. 

Any recommendation on a 29" MTB tyre that will be used on my weekly training bike which does long miles 80% on the road with the 20% on not much more than well manicured hardpack.

Spez fast trak (control casing).

Value and miles Ill go for Kenda Small Block Eight

Kind regards,

CB