Letter in Beeld

pezulu

For someone to spend as much time and effort on ensuring he is very visible, he obviously is aware of the dangers of cycling on a public and busy road, you would think he would use the same sense of logic and apply that to the most vital of pieces of safety equipment...a helmet!

I doubt it is a visibility thing. Him and his mates are Rossi fans nowadays.... Rossi Racing.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fine im. Mtb er but i cycle on the road in the week and the reason we are seen this way is due to cyclist. At least once a week i see a roadie skip a traffic light or stop without even looking. This morning again a boner on his bike came flying through a red light..

and twice on Saturday i saw MTB'ers jump the red light..... Regardless of what they ride, some people will break the law and others not.

For someone to spend as much time and effort on ensuring he is very visible, he obviously is aware of the dangers of cycling on a public and busy road, you would think he would use the same sense of logic and apply that to the most vital of pieces of safety equipment...a helmet!

I'm sure for him it's not about visibility, bling is in, get it?

We stared at him Saturday, he stared at us on the tandem going slow cruising, we all nodded.

Live and let live, I say.

Simply bad attitude from all and sundry when it comes to roads and anything used on them. Dare I say it - all started in 1994 and will continue to be like this, more likely to get much worse, until SA becomes a 1st world country and the people in SA become "mature" drivers like they are in 1st world countries. When I refer to drivers I mean all drivers cars, bicycles etc etc

cycling on the roads doesn't seem to be a problem in Europe, where they take 3x3 weeks of road closure around the place, plus various one day events and smaller tours.

I think it's because in Europe if you kill a cyclist, it's life in prison. Done, end of discussion.

My Girlfriend is Swiss and after having been there and seeing for myself I can agree with you. If you hit a cyclist or pedestrian you are in big dwang! in Europe the cars have the least right of way. But that being said many people use bikes to commute and you can see them unchained and not locked up near most train stations. Another world i guess ....

Three cars arrive simultaneously at a roundabout - who has right of way? The salesman in the red BMW.

Trouble is, everyone has an attitude of entitlement. It's always difficult being special in a world where everyone else is special too.

swerve - an erratic deflection from an intended course

Question: Why would a person ever need to swerve to avoid a collision?

Answer: Because they are surprised by an object on their intended course.

You'd think that would be the correct answer, but the actual answer is closer to:

Because they have run out of time to react to the object on their intended course safely and predictably.

Observing everyday motorists, it would appear as if as person should follow the following steps to avoid a possible dangerous situation:

1. Flash your headlights.

2. Honk your horn.

3. Tell the person you are talking to on the cellphone to please hold.

4. Brace for impact.

5. If no impact, use offensive language and gestures.

It's chaos out there.

I'm sure for him it's not about visibility, bling is in, get it?

We stared at him Saturday, he stared at us on the tandem going slow cruising, we all nodded.

Live and let live, I say.

Yeah, you should see him hauling down atlas road in his cooperS when he's late to get to the start at the BP...

Lumo bike on the roof and all.

Edited by TNT1

Yeah, you should see him hauling down atlas road in his cooperS when he's late to get to the start at the BP...

Lumo bike on the roof and all.

Did he get rid of the Beemer?

I have a very strong objection to cyclists using national roads - and by national roads i mean N1 - Nx. this holiday we took a drive down to the cape and back, and I was astounded at the number of cyclists on the N2. One particular instance I saw a bunch riding two abreast going up houwhoek pass towards grabouw, and anyone familiar with that section knows how tight and narrow it is. Another case of stupidity i saw was a father and daughter taking an easy ride on the road to Hermanus - with no helmets on!

Anyway, i get that the N roads offer cyclists a means to train on roads that are in reasonable condition, but despite it being illegal, it also distracts and alarms motorists as they are not expecting to see cyclists in the first place.

I have a very strong objection to cyclists using national roads - and by national roads i mean N1 - Nx. this holiday we took a drive down to the cape and back, and I was astounded at the number of cyclists on the N2. One particular instance I saw a bunch riding two abreast going up houwhoek pass towards grabouw, and anyone familiar with that section knows how tight and narrow it is. Another case of stupidity i saw was a father and daughter taking an easy ride on the road to Hermanus - with no helmets on!

Anyway, i get that the N roads offer cyclists a means to train on roads that are in reasonable condition, but despite it being illegal, it also distracts and alarms motorists as they are not expecting to see cyclists in the first place.

It is not illegal to ride on a Nx road, it is only illegal to ride on a "Freeway" Search the hub, plently posts telling you that.

Article HERE

It is tragic when a cyclist is killed, but it is even more tragic when cyclists want to practise their sport on our national roads.

Go and race on a track!

I don't practise with my four wheel drive vehicle on a national road, nor do I practise target shooting in a public area.

There are hopelessly too many bicycles on our roads, which makes it logical that one of them will be killed every now and then.

That is simply the Law of Averages.

If only commuters that use bicycles to get to work and back are allowed on our road - as it should be - there will be less cyclist deaths.

You don't need to be a mathematician to work that out.

Most cyclists are arrogant, ignore traffic rules,ignore red traffic lights, and ride on roads without an emergency lane.

Then they ask why these tragedies occur.

Rammetjie Uitnek

Pretoria

Dude you are fighting a loosing battle. Best you come to terms with cyclists because they are not going away. In fact they will be increasing significantly. You just have to look at Europe for a first world analogy or India and China for a 3rd world analogy, we have very few bikes on our roads by comparison.

The laws in our country are archaic for cyclists and eventually that will change so that barbarians like you can learn to respect other less protected road users. Motorists kill pedestrians and cyclists, not the other way around. Our laws will eventually reflect this, hopefully sooner than later.

Oh and tomorrow I will be commuting disguised as a "sport cyclist" so please be sure not to knock me over.

If the roadsigns are blue, it's a freeway and can't be used by cyclists. If the road signs are green, it's a national road and can be used by cyclists. Quite simple really.