29er tyres

Spartacus88

my 2c worth. I just purchased the Conti-Mountain king TR (tubeless ready) and what a night mare. I had to internal patch a number of places on both tires as manufacture was of a shody quality. I will never purchase Conti again. 

Back to Maxis UST's for me

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2c worth. I just purchased the Conti-Mountain king TR (tubeless ready) and what a night mare. I had to internal patch a number of places on both tires as manufacture was of a shody quality. I will never purchase Conti again. 

Back to Maxis UST's for me

I'm getting the same feeling. Conti seems to have gone off the boil a bit.

I really love my Xking/Race King Combo but they seem to be getting tougher and tougher to seat and I have been feeling more and more like I need to baby them on the trails.

No real science in there but I'm leaning more and more towards Maxxis these days.

I still need to try the Spesh stuff. It seems completely against Spesh corporate policy that they make really good really cost effective tyres :devil: :devil: :devil:

• 7 months later...

Hi all

I would like your inputs with mtb front tyre choices for my sister. She rides more distance on road / dirt roads and will be doing the Argus, so no heavy tread patterns needed. That said, I have a love of heavy tread and would like to subliminally influence her to like it aswell  :nuke:

In the back will be a worn Maxxis Ikon 2.2. For the front I see the following are decently priced at CWC:

Maxxis Ardent 2.25

Vittoria Barzo 2.25

Maxxis Crossmark 2.1

Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25

My preference would be a Maxxis Crossmark, but only the 2.1 is on special and the back tyre is a 2.2. Next option is the Barzo. Would it be too aggressive?

Looking forward to hear from you. 

G

I love the Barzo, I've just ordered another one.

But for your purposes, I think it will be a bit overkill. Its a moderate aggressive tire, more for marathon mtb and trail riding. Will be fine on tar etc, but the Crossmark is perfect for that purpose, if a bit heavy.

I love the Barzo, I've just ordered another one.

But for your purposes, I think it will be a bit overkill. Its a moderate aggressive tire, more for marathon mtb and trail riding. Will be fine on tar etc, but the Crossmark is perfect for that purpose, if a bit heavy.

Thanks for the input on the Barzo... The Crossmarks on special are only 2.1, and the now-back tyre will be 2.2

What about the Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo for R650 from CWC

This one probably fits the scenario best, but is also the most expensive. Will probably have to go for it though. 

Thanks for the inputs thus far. 

Racing Ralphs wear quite quickly.

Buy the Ardent 2.2 from CWC for R399 or come and fetch one for R200 from me with loads of life left.

Buy the Ardent 2.2 from CWC for R399 or come and fetch one for R200 from me with loads of life left.

Thanks, would have potentially considered that but all-out too lazy to drive to the North. Will make a purchase at CWC Green Point

Could you however recommend the Ardent as a front tyre for intended purpose? (Non-technical XC lightweight female rider)

Could you however recommend the Ardent as a front tyre for intended purpose? (Non-technical XC lightweight female rider)

My wife is around 63kg's and uses the 2.25 Ardent up front and 2.1 crossmark at the rear on mixed terrain without any issues.

So I'm a HEAVY (120kg) rider, never more than XC, but any dusty off-camber corner feels like ice to me - will a 2.4 tyre vs a 2.1 tyre make a big difference? Front and back?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

So I'm a HEAVY (120kg) rider, never more than XC, but any dusty off-camber corner feels like ice to me - will a 2.4 tyre vs a 2.1 tyre make a big difference? Front and back?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, but it would probably help. The tread pattern plays a bigger role than width.

Being such a big I would anyway suggest going for a wider tyre.

• 2 months later...

I find Maxxis Crossmark to be quite decent.

rhis decent?b3fc5874f823e61471aacca91abb586f.jpg i also thought rhey were. Good until i lost one trying to patch a small hole. The have no grip on loose or wet stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk