29er tyres

Spartacus88

Are the spez purgatory/ butcher any good?

Yes....they're brilliant and their price is unbeatable. Read bikeradar reviews and you'll see that both the Buther and the Ground Control makes it onto their top 10 list. Personally I'd take the Buther over the Purgatory up front as it is a bit more versatile and then I have Ground Control on the back for a little speed and slide

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there, have any of you had a look at the Vittoria Peyote? I am curious. I am a racing Ralph fan but when I wanted to fit new Tyres for Sani there are no 2,1 available in the 2015 tyre. I run American Classic wide lightning wheels on a Cannondale Flash carbon HT 29. I am a racer. 78kg.

I am running RR 2,25 front and a crosmark 2,1 as my training Tyres. I have a thunder burt in 2,1 but don't think that is suitable for sani! I have a worn Geax AKA which I did not realy like, don't know why but I don't want it as a tyre. I have also gone through a set of the Onza Cannis Tyres and did enjoy them but still my first choice is the RR. I won't race on the Crossmark. I have also torn the sidewalks of the two RR evo Tyres that came with my bike so those are out as well. Snakeskin for me.

Another option is the x king, I don't know the tyre at all.

Any input on my best solution for Sani would be appreciated, I would describe my riding style as smooth in the technical sections, I ride karkloof on the racing Ralph's and have no issues with grip.

Much appreciated

Ryan

I'm riding sani with a Peyote 2.25 TNT. It is the beste gripping tire I've had and it feels indestructable. I have tried many combinations, but I will always put a Peyote up fromt after many happy miles. I have a Saguaro at the back 2.0 TNT. It is a very fast rolling tire amd has never let me down.

Then again I can't take chances on a 240KM ride across the Karoo. 

Nope, pretty weak sidewalls.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

So you don`t want to take any chances and then fit tyres with no sidewall protection. Fail?

So you don`t want to take any chances and then fit tyres with no sidewall protection. Fail?

They are still perfect after the rocky 247km ride. I had them at 3bar and the ride was quick, a little twitchey, but with lots of grip when I needed it.

Saw plenty of folks that had flats, mostly snake bites from sharp rocks.

Thus I conclude sidewall protection would have been a waste of money here.

Question for those in the know ... any reason why I should not do the Sani2C on Crossmarks 2.1 29ers?

No reason not too, but this post is too late anyway. I did 2 x Epics on them and they were perfect, Ok not a racing snake but hell they are bullet proof.

Edit: And they teach you skillz.....

Edited by Dick

From their website * Please note: The LiteSkin (or Performance) CX tires (700x33c) do not have the high pressure resistant bead, they are not suitable for tubeless conversions.

I is confused, High pressure resistant bead. What does that mean? I ride tubeless at about 1.6 bar, that is not so high.

From their website * Please note: The LiteSkin (or Performance) CX tires (700x33c) do not have the high pressure resistant bead, they are not suitable for tubeless conversions.

I is confused, High pressure resistant bead. What does that mean? I ride tubeless at about 1.6 bar, that is not so high.

CX = cyclocross

So that cyclocross tyre isn't suitable for the high pressure tubeless setups that they run in cyclocross.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ok so a question to the tire experts ....

Supposing you had the choice of the tires in the picture (Arisun - Mount Graham, Continental X-king and Vittoria Saguaro)

I currently have the Mount Grahams fr and bk .... don't like them but got them free  :ph34r:

I have 1 * Saguaro and 2 * X-king 'spare'

Which combination would you guys suggest fr and bk out of what I have? 

post-271-0-31874700-1462525895_thumb.jpg

I like front and rear the same, looks nicer. 

That would be first choice but sometimes you just gotta 'use what you got'  :whistling:

My thinking was perhaps the Saguaro in 'traction mode' in the front and the X-king at the back ...

Yes....they're brilliant and their price is unbeatable. Read bikeradar reviews and you'll see that both the Buther and the Ground Control makes it onto their top 10 list. Personally I'd take the Buther over the Purgatory up front as it is a bit more versatile and then I have Ground Control on the back for a little speed and slide

Have to agree Pyka. Used to be a fan of Schwalbe RR front and rear for an all round xc tyre, but their prices got ridiculous, and they wept all the sealant through the tread.

Switched to FastTrack/Ground Control up front & Renegade on the rear, and only have good things to say.

Considering you can get 2 G.Controls (in Control version) for the price of 1 RR (snakeskin)... No going back.

Onza Canis looks interesting too.

Ok so a question to the tire experts ....

Supposing you had the choice of the tires in the picture (Arisun - Mount Graham, Continental X-king and Vittoria Saguaro)

I currently have the Mount Grahams fr and bk .... don't like them but got them free  :ph34r:

I have 1 * Saguaro and 2 * X-king 'spare'

Which combination would you guys suggest fr and bk out of what I have? 

attachicon.gifWhatsApp-Image-20160506.jpg

IMO - those Mount Grahams (never heard of them) are more than likely better than the continentals. Had X-Kings a few years back, and got really tired of finding myself sprawled on the trail, with no forewarning.... Reckon they hold up fine, but there is a point where they just let go...

Now there is a set of tyres you should give away (to pay it forward).... I would go as far as including the postage.... :ph34r:

That would be first choice but sometimes you just gotta 'use what you got'  :whistling:

My thinking was perhaps the Saguaro in 'traction mode' in the front and the X-king at the back ...

i dont profess to be an expert, but y would you want the Sag in traction mode especially in the front? will this not compromise your braking ability? dont you normally want 'traction mode' for rear? i could be talking a ball of snot here. iwud say Sag normal mode rear and x-king front and stick to normal rotation. but to be honest, i suppose this will work best for xc type riding. does it make any sense? :ph34r:

Have to agree Pyka. Used to be a fan of Schwalbe RR front and rear for an all round xc tyre, but their prices got ridiculous, and they wept all the sealant through the tread.

Switched to FastTrack/Ground Control up front & Renegade on the rear, and only have good things to say.

Considering you can get 2 G.Controls (in Control version) for the price of 1 RR (snakeskin)... No going back.

Onza Canis looks interesting too.

Canis is a bloody awesome rear tyre, but unfortunately you can't get it locally in the Freeride casing, and are stuck with the floppy xc casing. Does well for an xc front as well