29er tyres

Spartacus88

I agree with you on that one, I had Crossmarks front and rear on my first mtb, had a couple of lose the front wheel falls, niks lekker nice, especially as I was still very inexperienced at mtb. Replaced with a spez ground control 2.3 and it made a huge difference. It was probably the best upgrade I made, my confidence and therefore speed improved drastically after that.

pretty much the same as my experience with them. I would never put one on the front, there are so many better options for that. Its not world ending on the back but also better options out there.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these are too old (1+ year) and the mileage is too high (10,000+ km) but they still have a bit of tread left so I can't get it over my heart to chuck them just yet. Sadly is seems that being used 6 days a week is causing the outer rubber to disintegrate and I now have these two "splits" that go through to the inner weaving. I covered it with superglue, seems to be better now.

What the the designed lifespan for tubeless tires?

post-38519-0-95225000-1460902825_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-67259600-1460902836_thumb.jpg

Those tyres are well outside their usable life. Replace them. Seriously. 10,000 km on a single set of tyres is far too much. 

Besides - even though that seems as if it has some tread left, it's not functional. 

Riding tyres like that is looking for trouble, you even mildly lay it down in a corner and you come p0es without any chance of saving yourself.

I tried taking worn tyres to that extreme once(not that perished but tread worn that low) and I came soo short around a corner(on tar not even off road) I was cured for life!

I was up one moment down the next, pretty scary, lucky my wrist survived just badly bruised/sprained , getting your wrist pinned is expensive and huge waste of time, lesson learnt don't go cheap on tyres.

Edited by Skylark

Thanks for the feedback. The tyre in question is my front Crossmark. The rear one was replaced after 6 months/6000km because it was well worn. Last week I got two new Onza Canis TLR tyres from CWC and I guess it would be wise to fit those to my bike before I do my 5th TransKaroo in two weeks time. Really seems like a shame because I feel these Crossmarks still has a bit to give. Then again I can't take chances on a 240KM ride across the Karoo. 

Anyways, will be trying these out for the next two days before I decide on fitting the Onza set.

post-38519-0-36481300-1460923650_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Even the grid version?

Grid is a spez thing, I think these just get different tpi casings.

They also get a FRC (free Ride Casing) which is quite a bit tougher than the normal XC casing which is frankly like tissue paper. FRC is just under Snakeskin ito toughness. 

Still rate Schwalbe's Super Gravity casing. Yeah, it's a 200g penalty per tyre, but man oh man are those sidewalls TOUGH,