how to wash cycling clothing

Ramrod

Hi there All

I know this has been mentioned before but i have spent the last 3 hours searching for the thread but have now given up.

I read somewhere on the hub that there was a specific detergent to wash your cycling/sports clothing to help get the sweat odour our of the clothing as it just does not seem to come clean in the washing machine.

Part of that thread said you could get said product from sportsmans warehouse but when the wife went there today she got some of the strangest looks and was told to go to pick n pay.

Any help on where and what the name of the product is please?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in at CWC today and happened to pass there Assos stand and saw some detergent on display. I didnt bother though to check the price. Give them a call to check.

I was in at CWC today and happened to pass there Assos stand and saw some detergent on display. I didnt bother though to check the price. Give them a call to check.

Active Wear Cleanser by Assos.

About 160 moola.

Good stuff and definitely for those with a big wallet.

:rolleyes:

Omo and some other brand has a new product on the market : washing powder in liquid. I find that if I use that and pour it on the sweaty parts on the shirt, rub it in a bit and wash it then, it comes out fairly fresh.

How good this is on the long run , I don't know , but at least it smells better

Edited by Mads

Active Wear Cleanser by Assos.

About 160 moola.

Good stuff and definitely for those with a big wallet.

:rolleyes:

Dale do you live on here. I had just been to CWC online and checked the cleanser to post it online for OP but you beat me to it. Should we change it to Dale the Guru. Definitely for the big wallets thats why I walked past. I just saw Assos On the bottle and that was enough.

I think the best way to get rid of the smell would be, from new, put your cycling kit in a bucket of omo as soon as you get back from a ride instead of leaving it for a while and the sweat dries letting bacteria breed and give you that smell. I have always done this and never had a smell.

my wife soaks the clothes in water for a day (must be cold or the smell stays in) to allow the salt and dirt to dilute out, then wash in regular wash. seems to work ok.

I just throw mine in the washing machine, add the detergent, run the gentle cycle with cold water......no shrinkage, no discolouring, no fraying, no stretching :thumbup:

My wife will say I'm a bit of a pain in the ass, but this is a sure fire way to keep clothes from smelling:

Get your kit in the washer when you get off the bike.

Sweat has bacteria and when it dries it stinks.

So before it starts drying get it in the machine and then normal OMO does a perfect job.

It's not always easy to do, but it keeps smelling neutral for years.

(The inlaws also got used to me walking around in a towel after my Sat morning rides :lol: )

Technical clothing require detergent which do not have small particles to avoid clogging, and able to kill bacteria.

I am using Sport-Wash, i think got it from Sportman Warehouse.

Also have Nikwax which able to restore the moisture wicking after washing. Got it from CapeStorm Bryanston.

wow , i have been putting mine in the washing machine along with other clother for the past 20 years and never had a problem , they clean and smell good.

dont think its worth all the extra cash for some special stuff.

wow , i have been putting mine in the washing machine along with other clother for the past 20 years and never had a problem , they clean and smell good.

What he said minus the 20 years part. 3 years for me.

ditto

I have tired and tried again to get the stale sweat pong out of my helmet, soaking in very strong Skip mixture, scrub, rinse etc doesnt really work so I need to try this product. Problem is really in the rain it gets iffy again.

Either that or a new helmet.

Normal wash in machine with whatever washing powder is available then hang out to dry out of direct sunlight.

I have tired and tried again to get the stale sweat pong out of my helmet, soaking in very strong Skip mixture, scrub, rinse etc doesnt really work so I need to try this product. Problem is really in the rain it gets iffy again.

Either that or a new helmet.

I wash my helmets,shoes,camelbak etc in the bath in cold water with Woolite.

Works a treat.Just rinse properly then into the sun.

As for shorts,etc whack it in the machine at 50deg with Skip and all is rosy

Then hang in the sun