99er Start Time / Seeing

Denny Menchov

Im not familiar with the route of the 99er. Why is everybody worrying about being nackered when you get to vissershok? Is this because of the distance covered when you get there or is it extremely hilly leading up to vissershok?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not familiar with the route of the 99er. Why is everybody worrying about being nackered when you get to vissershok? Is this because of the distance covered when you get there or is it extremely hilly leading up to vissershok?

All to be revealed on Sat...

:whistling:

The first 17 odd km is all rolling hills, then it is fairly flat with a few rollers thrown in for good measure. The last 40km is again all rollers, with a long, gradual climb from turnoff from N7 to Vissershok. And after that it is the finish on top of Odendaal str (a mean climb in itself).

Depending on the heat and wind, it all becomes even more difficult. And 123km is not exactly to your corner caffe and back. And then it is a race, so the pace is quite high. I recon this is one of the more difficult races on the PPA calendar.

Seems like the weathe for Sunday is not too bad. A max of about 22 deg, partly cloudy and cool with moderate winds is forecasted.

The first 17 odd km is all rolling hills, then it is fairly flat with a few rollers thrown in for good measure. The last 40km is again all rollers, with a long, gradual climb from turnoff from N7 to Vissershok. And after that it is the finish on top of Odendaal str (a mean climb in itself).

Depending on the heat and wind, it all becomes even more difficult. And 123km is not exactly to your corner caffe and back. And then it is a race, so the pace is quite high. I recon this is one of the more difficult races on the PPA calendar.

Seems like the weathe for Sunday is not too bad. A max of about 22 deg, partly cloudy and cool with moderate winds is forecasted.

Not Sunday wannabe - the race is Saturday - so don't pitch up with the coke on Sunday!

Hey guys see its going to be a nice 22 degrees Saturday :thumbup: Then again I will be at Mugg & Bean spending my R200 there :blush:

I guess it all comes down to your fitness level and ambition.

If you're a mid to tail end fun rider like me, it's tough because the rollers and wind take a lot of steam out of your tank, after which you hit the sting in the tail with those two bl**dy mean hills. Have done a few Argus's, Burgers etc and this is the only ride which ever gets me off and walking - so much so, it's also the only road ride where I don my comfy MTB shoes in full expectation of a nice stroll at the end.

I would guess if you're a front end race snake, it's much the same story only accelerated - lot of energy sapping stuff at high pace, followed by nasty hills just when you want to be done

Edited by walkerr

Not Sunday wannabe - the race is Saturday - so don't pitch up with the coke on Sunday!

Sorry man, finger error. So used to the fact that most races is on a Sunday.

fyi,

late entries arent seeded, so you start with the plebs @ the back

In that case Ill do a 123km TT elsewhere

In that case Ill do a 123km TT elsewhere

and for free :thumbup:

maybe check this with the organisers first........

Boet, it's rollers all the way except from the Silo's to fruitsellers 4 way and between Perdeberg Winery and the Silo's again. You hit the start of Vissershok at the 112Km mark.

Vissershok = 171m ascent over 3Km from 4 way stop. Hawekwa is 80m ascent over 1.2Km......... Vissershok itself is as steep as Hawekwa but twice as long.

Odendal (the 1km climb to the finish) is probably as steep too.... 79m ascent over 1.13Km = another Hawekwa.

so I paid my R200 entry fee, went to get my number, and no goodie bag??

Now i'm cross :lol: :lol: ;) :P

It is only for the first 3000 finishers. Now if they have a cold chocolate steri stumpie in there I would be impressed!

and for free :thumbup:

maybe check this with the organisers first........

You misunderstood

I don't ask permission to ride my bike. And I am certainly not writing a letter asking permission to ride my bike in any direction I see fit, on any of our public roads.

By "elsewhere", I mean, somewhere scenic along the coast with a view, sea breeze, coffee stop and the company of legends!

Boet, it's rollers all the way except from the Silo's to fruitsellers 4 way and between Perdeberg Winery and the Silo's again. You hit the start of Vissershok at the 112Km mark.

Vissershok = 171m ascent over 3Km from 4 way stop. Hawekwa is 80m ascent over 1.2Km......... Vissershok itself is as steep as Hawekwa but twice as long.

Odendal (the 1km climb to the finish) is probably as steep too.... 79m ascent over 1.13Km = another Hawekwa.

Sheeet Tiny! You sure you not a Navy Seal or something? I can see you sitting in the bushes all camo and scouting out the routes, making notes. Great having someone so meticulous here :thumbup: