Rugby...

'Dale

Interesting, maybe that is also too extreme? Think learning to cope with pressure is also part of growing up.  But I do feel there is too much pressure on kids in SA schools nowadays. 

they start rugby training from 2 now. no not standard 2, not grade II... 2 years old. ie, 24 months, bliksem.

DbLNJlgXUAAOOqo.jpg

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not Rugby alone...Athletics is also in the mixture. But Rugby is the B and all of Schools sports in primary and high schools. It starts at a young age and some parents are also to blame for the culture of winning at all costs. Way back in 2004 it was parents who coached the Gr R - Gr2 boys "Welpie Rugby" as it is known. Was just basic skills, pass, tackle and to a smaller extend rucks to retrieve the ball. I performed coaching duties in 2005 and 2006 and the comments from some parents were shocking. The winning at all costs was so bad that on one instance the comments to individual small boys was "Don't expect a certificate if you keep on playing like this..." This is where everything starts. When you are slected for the 1st XV,  the stakes to perform is even higher. My son was elected for the 1st XV at primary school and later he did not enjoy playing rugby anymore. He just decided one day enough is enough and said to the coach he will no longer play rugby for the 1st XV and went to the second team and told them he is availble to play for them.

He opted to play hockey in high school, needless to say that more than half of the primary school 1st XV quitted rugby and opted to play hockey starting Gr8.

It is not Rugby alone...Athletics is also in the mixture. But Rugby is the B and all of Schools sports in primary and high schools. It starts at a young age and some parents are also to blame for the culture of winning at all costs. Way back in 2004 it was parents who coached the Gr R - Gr2 boys "Welpie Rugby" as it is known. Was just basic skills, pass, tackle and to a smaller extend rucks to retrieve the ball. I performed coaching duties in 2005 and 2006 and the comments from some parents were shocking. The winning at all costs was so bad that on one instance the comments to individual small boys was "Don't expect a certificate if you keep on playing like this..." This is where everything starts. When you are slected for the 1st XV,  the stakes to perform is even higher. My son was elected for the 1st XV at primary school and later he did not enjoy playing rugby anymore. He just decided one day enough is enough and said to the coach he will no longer play rugby for the 1st XV and went to the second team and told them he is availble to play for them.

He opted to play hockey in high school, needless to say that more than half of the primary school 1st XV quitted rugby and opted to play hockey starting Gr8.

Kyknet is sponsoring a national competition for u-9 rugby teams that is broadcasted on TV. (started in 2017)

When the trials were held for our school team that was going to participate there were probably more parents that attended than children - cannot imagine why anyone would think its healthy to put this kind of pressure on an 8 or 9 year old kid

Interesting, maybe that is also too extreme? Think learning to cope with pressure is also part of growing up. But I do feel there is too much pressure on kids in SA schools nowadays.

Except the majority of the kids still play club sport and that is definitely competitive. So while they are not getting that in school they are certainly at club level. Ultimately it's up to the parents and the kids. But from what I've seen everyone plays a sport. It being the country of hurling.. You see from little kids to big kids (male and female) walking around with their big wooden spoons.

Except the majority of the kids still play club sport and that is definitely competitive. So while they are not getting that in school they are certainly at club level. Ultimately it's up to the parents and the kids. But from what I've seen everyone plays a sport. It being the country of hurling.. You see from little kids to big kids (male and female) walking around with their big wooden spoons.

It's called a hurley

I have one

It's called a hurley

I have one

Ha ha I know... Is good gas to play and watch too... We just like to call them spoons [emoji23]

Regarding the huge attention SA school rugby is getting. I wonder how many of them would be able to slot into a senior club environment 

post-36275-0-11779200-1528882869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Escapee..

Bokkies score 23 unanswered points against an out of sorts England

Series test victory

Hope they can clean sweep at Newlands

Gotta love the strength of support in the quiet little town of Bloem

Olè... olè... olè... olè...

100th Test cap for Tendai

My word

The longevity and to do that as a forward ????????

Edited by 'Dale

Ok so job done. We have an unassailable series lead. I’d like to see a few changes for the Newlands test.

Kitshoff in place of Beast (gingers should be considered as quota players too [emoji6])

Kriel in place of De Allende

Steyn in place of Le Roux

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There’s a collective pride I sense

And solid Bok strength and grit

With a dash of humility

Bring it Bokkies

Ok so job done. We have an unassailable series lead. I’d like to see a few changes for the Newlands test.

Kitshoff in place of Beast (gingers should be considered as quota players too [emoji6])

Kriel in place of De Allende

Steyn in place of Le Roux

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Beast was not/is not a quota player. Not sure if you said this in jest or not...............however still not acceptable comment.

Beast was not/is not a quota player. Not sure if you said this in jest or not...............however still not acceptable comment.

Relax, he was making a joke about Kitshoff, not about Beast. I dont see any implication in that post about Beast’s status re quotas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk