Rugby...

'Dale

O ok, Thanks. I'm sure its still like that because like you say if EP where in the top 2 going into the final then they all deserve to play for the boks in the second half of a certain game on Saturday........

Weird setup that. 

It's an unofficial final and features the best two teams - not necessarily the hosts. I was wrong on host being guaranteed a final. But many "finals" have featured the hosts since the tournament started.

The problem is that they only play a few games and don't get to play everyone - so how do they select the best 2 teams. It's more about the selectors getting to see the best the country has to offer in one place (assuming the best players were selected for their provincial team in the first place).

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So happy my beloved Brussow finally cracks it into Heineke's Bok mix. Just hope he isn't being hung out to dry in the starting 15 having just come back from injury. He's never lost to the All Blacks before ...

Much better game from the Boks.  In the end they were outsmarted by a sly fox.

That was just one of the smartest moves I'd seen in a long time. Glad they did it now, and didn't keep it up their sleeve for RWC. 

Hi guys

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but having watched last nights game I'm very comfortable and confidence we have a fighting chance at the RWC, d' Allende in my opinion was the man of the match and his running off the ball and quick steps and passes gave the All Blacks headaches, what's going to happen with the return of Jean de Villiers, omg, he is a ball killer, JP Fourie Fran's steyn and all the other old dogs,

Our scrum half had a blinder last night, very impressed, quick to break down, fast balls left and right, my previous criticism of him was he was very slow but has improved dramatically.

Hendricks not have a good game

SA full back good game on offensive poor defense allowing the try to be scored one on one.

Overall good game by boks, I'm just disappointed matfield doesn't hang up his boots with dignity like bakkies and rather use his experience to coach the youngsters.

Hi guys

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but having watched last nights game I'm very comfortable and confidence we have a fighting chance at the RWC, d' Allende in my opinion was the man of the match and his running off the ball and quick steps and passes gave the All Blacks headaches, what's going to happen with the return of Jean de Villiers, omg, he is a ball killer, JP Fourie Fran's steyn and all the other old dogs,

Our scrum half had a blinder last night, very impressed, quick to break down, fast balls left and right, my previous criticism of him was he was very slow but has improved dramatically.

Hendricks not have a good game

SA full back good game on offensive poor defense allowing the try to be scored one on one.

Overall good game by boks, I'm just disappointed matfield doesn't hang up his boots with dignity like bakkies and rather use his experience to coach the youngsters.

As you are critical of Pienaar I tend to be critical of De Allende especially wrt consistency. Saturday afternoon he blew me away. Three sharp games in a row, two of them against some of the best in the biz (Gits and Ma'a) and he didn't just looked like he belongs he actually bested them for periods of the game. AB's struggled to bring him down and they struggled with his partnership with Kriel.

As for the breakdown play it was probably the best we've seen in a long time by the Boks. Wrt Pienaar I thought he played well against the Aussies but definitely stepped it up a notch against the AB's in particular with his kicks and just as important his option taking wrt his kicks.

The Boks were beaten by a better team but still underlined that they are the only real threat to the Kiwis!

That was just one of the smartest moves I'd seen in a long time. Glad they did it now, and didn't keep it up their sleeve for RWC. 

I seem to be the only one who thinks that a cheat who gets away with things is still a cheat. Have we become so conditioned to McCaw and his crap that we just accept it as ok? Lance armstrong was a cheat, we just couldn't prove it. Here it is happening in front of our eyes for years and it's celebrated! uh mean a single yellow card for all his minutes of test rugby and hundreds of transgressions, why is he so special?

now back to the actual point in case, I do have something to back up my claim.

19.8 (i) - http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19

(i)

Where the receiver must stand. If a team uses a receiver, then that player, must be positioned at least 2m back from team mates in the lineout, and between the 5m and 15m lines, until the lineout begins.

Once the lineout has commenced, the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions.

Sanction: Free kick on the 15 metre line along the line of touch

Now it's been seen as a 'clever move'. What if the ref did his job and gave us a freekick like the rules say so? game over. cheers thanks for throwing it away richie?

Go watch the highlighst on supersport.com cut to 5:48 and this is a screenshot.

Here is McCheat almost inline with the lineout with the ball still in the hooker's hands. cut and dried.post-1830-0-61664900-1437981784_thumb.png

Interesting point Shebeen. Not sure I agree though. Remember that McCheat is allowed to move when the line out begins. If he is outside of the 2m prior the movement of the hooker throwing in this move is completely legal. Essentially the referee needs to decide whether McCheat was within 2m or not when the line out was taken.

I seem to be the only one who thinks that a cheat who gets away with things is still a cheat. Have we become so conditioned to McCaw and his crap that we just accept it as ok? Lance armstrong was a cheat, we just couldn't prove it. Here it is happening in front of our eyes for years and it's celebrated! uh mean a single yellow card for all his minutes of test rugby and hundreds of transgressions, why is he so special?

now back to the actual point in case, I do have something to back up my claim.

19.8 (i) - http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19

Now it's been seen as a 'clever move'. What if the ref did his job and gave us a freekick like the rules say so? game over. cheers thanks for throwing it away richie?

Go watch the highlighst on supersport.com cut to 5:48 and this is a screenshot.

Here is McCheat almost inline with the lineout with the ball still in the hooker's hands. cut and dried.attachicon.gifrichie_mccheat.png

Interesting point Shebeen. Not sure I agree though. Remember that McCheat is allowed to move when the line out begins. If he is outside of the 2m prior the movement of the hooker throwing in this move is completely legal. Essentially the referee needs to decide whether McCheat was within 2m or not when the line out was taken.

you could maybe try argue that, but the lineout doesn't start with the movement of throwing in - it starts only once the ball leaves his hand.

once again thanks to our friends at world rugby for making it so clear - http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19.9

19.9 Beginning and ending a lineout
(a)Lineout begins. The lineout begins when the ball leaves the hands of the player throwing it in.

in the screengrab posted earlier - the lineout hasn't started and McCaw needs to be 2m behind his players, 2.5m behind the centre line. He's no even not even close. in the reverse view from behind the poles you can also see the left wing and perenara also chase up closer than the 10m line before the ball is thrown in.

I know I'm harping on about this, and i'm sure many many scrummies are well within the 2m when the ball is thrown in, it's a technical rule that is hardly(if ever) used. kind of like throwing the ball in straight at a scrum, refs just ignore it. The point I'm making is that it might look like a clever move, but it's not within the rules. They would have looked really silly getting blown up for this at such a crucial time.

I've sent it off to JK at ratetheref, he can make a call that I'll definitely respect.

you could maybe try argue that, but the lineout doesn't start with the movement of throwing in - it starts only once the ball leaves his hand.

once again thanks to our friends at world rugby for making it so clear - http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19.9

in the screengrab posted earlier - the lineout hasn't started and McCaw needs to be 2m behind his players, 2.5m behind the centre line. He's no even not even close. in the reverse view from behind the poles you can also see the left wing and perenara also chase up closer than the 10m line before the ball is thrown in.

I know I'm harping on about this, and i'm sure many many scrummies are well within the 2m when the ball is thrown in, it's a technical rule that is hardly(if ever) used. kind of like throwing the ball in straight at a scrum, refs just ignore it. The point I'm making is that it might look like a clever move, but it's not within the rules. They would have looked really silly getting blown up for this at such a crucial time.

I've sent it off to JK at ratetheref, he can make a call that I'll definitely respect.

Silly me then. Very interesting though. Let us know what JK says as it would be very enlightening.

once again thanks to our friends at world rugby for making it so clear - http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19.9

When the try happened my first thought was "Isn't this illegal?" But when nobody (Springboks, commentators) complained I just thought ok - maybe just me... Glad to see I'm not the only one...

McCaw has always been one to play the rules on the edge of the illegal side, waiting to see if the ref was wide awake.  My initial thoughts were also that he was too close, but I did not PVR the match to verify it.

Which is why I referred to him as a sly fox.

At least it was McCheat's last match.  Maybe?

Edited by Moridin

McCaw has always been one to play the rules on the edge of the illegal side, waiting to see if the ref was wide awake. My initial thoughts were also that he was too close, but I did not PVR the match to verify it.

Which is why I referred to him as a sly fox.

At least it was McCheat's last match. Maybe?

The south sea confederation always have a sly fox in the team to test refs. Before McCaw it was Sean Fitz, funny how it's often the captain

I don't buy the whole MvCheat thing. The guy plays to the whistle. If the refs are to dumb to police him, that's their fault not his. If he was playing for SA he would be a hero. He's a legend of the game, one of the all time greats.

No I'm not a Kiwi. (or a Cape Crusader :whistling: )