26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

ban me ban me ban me ride light weiht you are a racer 26 inch sux 29 inch race south africa bangn race im a racer you must be a racer im a racer south africa race yes race south africa yes yes yes ban me yes!

Note to ming, don't post on the internets when p!ssed...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, one to many whiskeys me thinks.

my apologies for the drunken rant to all :blush: Johny wasnt dead last night just -21

Everyone seems to put a lot of focus on the wheelsize but I have had a different experience.

2 years ago a bought a ht 26 bike and got into riding. Rode a couple of day races and after riding SabieXperience over 4 days decided to upgrade my bike. I went all the wsy to the other end of the spectrum and got an Anthem 29er. I love the softer ride but had initial difgiculty with the relative sluggishness of the new bike.

In Nevember last year I set some new goals and increased my training regime to about 10-12 hours per week. As my fitness improved and I got stronger I started arriving at obstacles with more speed and momentum. I also learnt to lean into corners more aggresively and trust the bike when attacking rocky outcrops.Suddenly I have become very comfortable on the bike to the extent thst when I ride the 26" ht it feels twitchy. I will not change back unkess I lose all fitness and have to start building base fitness all over again.

My take on the wheelsize debate is that the larger wheelsize works better as you gain skills and get stronger. If you dont ride all that frequently and are not that fit you probably won't benefit much from the increased wheelsize and the only winner will be your LBS.

Just for context I will shortly be 50 so I am no racing snake and a ht mtb is too tough on my body.

i have an idea .How about i change only my front wheel to 27.5 and leave the 29 inch at the rear .Kinda chopper like ..Better traction and better steering .I am serious ,this might work really well.How about some of us try it and give opinions .The front will only change by 3/4 inch lower

• 3 weeks later...

from sea Otter, Intense reveals their first offering:

http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8008439/p4pb8008439.jpg

27.5'' wheels, otherwise known as 650b, are truly everywhere this year. Intense built this beautiful blue Tracer prototype specifically for its 27.5'' wheels. Travel sits at either 5.5'' or 6'' out back, and a 27.5'' compatible RockShock Revelation fork offers a full 150mm travel(the 29er model sits at 140mm)

The interesting bit stating the revelation is 650b compatible. Is it a new revelation, or an existing model revelation that accepts 650b wheels + tires. Either way, it's looking interesting.

Don't think so. What you saying is that Burry will then have to ride in the 29" cat and Nino in the 650b cat and the 26" boys in their own cat. So there will be three races for the men and three for the ladies. Thats crazy. Never! The only thing that could happen, which I doubt, is having a one size standard, but that's like pulling a lolly pop from someone's mouth as soon as she gets to the sherbet after sucking a long time..

You choose the bike the bike whatever you feels the fastest and most comfortable, everybody has that option so its fair game at the end of the day.

I just rode my new 29er Hard tail - out of the box - after 6 years on a 26 HT

Outgoing: : 2003 Scott Boulder SLX/XT drive train, v-Brakes, tubeless, Kenda SB8 (front) & Maxxis Crossmark (back). Recently replaced old Manitou Black Elite with SR Suntour Raidon... Air vs oil.... modern tech - actually better.

Enter: 2012 Scott scale 29er Elite. SLX/DeOre/XT, Rock shock Reba, Maxxis IKONs.

They weigh the same

Some things to make the comparison unique:

It wasn't a modern 26er upgraded to a 29er - the old bike was 2003.

new 30 speed vs 27 - gives one an advantage too.

The disc brakes have given me a new lease on life vs old rim brakes.

The bike shop took measurements from my previous bike and set it up exactly right for me.The only thign that felt different was teh wider bars.

To make it clear - the ride experience is chalk and cheese.

I'm more grounded, and have more choice of terrain, lines.

I have less to fear.

I will honestly say that the new bike gave me such a sense of confidence - and has escalated my riding abilities.

The larger wheel size makes your whole riding style different, and opens up new parts of track you wouldn't have considered before.

The 29er is fast on the descent, opens up new lines.

I could overtake better, as I didn't have to be so fussy about bombing through the rougher sections which did little ot the highly compliant bike.

Wheel size factors

29ers come with 2.2 tyres instead of 2.1s the extra tread, and diferent contact patch & angle with the ground due to wheel diameter is very noticale in hectic ascents. The bike just says - "yes sir"

If you stall/ the biek has better balance - so no putting foot down, and struggling to get started again - just keep trucking.

So - the traction is like spiderman!

The bike is incredibly obedient going up and down.

I often noticed myself free-wheeling past people who were pedalling (and that I attribute tothe Scott design (somehow) as I was passign other 29ers too)

Downhill - the rolling ability enables me to focus on the route/line/course moreso than any fearful obstacles.

Techical, twisty corkscrews.... I'm better than I was. (remember - there are rocks in the tech sections and the 29er doesn't mind that)

And - if they're sandy & loose - the wheel size gives better grip (i.e. stopping power/ and truness to the line you aimed for)

What about 26er specific traits?

Honestly, not in ANY section of the hectic MTN Series 75km race in Clarens did I feel that I would have preferred my old bike.

People say you can't twsit, flick, bunny hop & turn as sharply...

Well - the need for all that deminishes.... and the truth is - I really could. (or if I didn't pull it off as well - I couldn't feel it)

I rode terrain I've never been able to ride before.

Switchbacks I would have walked I aced.

I was able to climb over rocks I never would have dreamed of before - and chose lines I wouldn't have been able to take. Climbing was more about the pedalling than weight shifting - and line picking.

On a crowded race/busy track - you can be more flexible with your ascent/descent lines - giving you more track.

The only downside (is this one - or is it the only thing I'm still adapting to?)

The longer wheel base leads to the odd occasion where my crank/pedal is lower to the ground - and I had about 5 pedal-ground strikes... minor ones - not hard whacks... once I'm used to the new dimensions - that will go away.

It's prob cos the one wheel is over an obstacle before the other one - (where on a shorter wheel base - the back wheel might still be on the obstacle and front wheel down... that's all I can figure - as crank clearnacne and lenght measure the same.

I'm converted. the difference is huge.

Im an average rider - who aims for a middle of field finish....

I'm just glad I got to test it over a MTB race that had a bit of everything in one day.

But keep in mind the unique factors I described above.

Dude, as no expert myself, you are comparing a brand new up to date 29" with a 9 year old, no doubt slightly worse for wear, outdated 26". It hardly surprises me that you thought the 26" would have been better nowhere. If you ahd ridden a new 26" you may well have felt similarly surely?

As an aside, I've got that Suntour Raidon Air fork... probably the one part of my cheapie bike I'd look to change first if I really felt like spending money.

Switchbacks I would have walked I aced.

first off - seems you made the right decision in riding the new bike vs the old!

i dont profess to know your technical ability, but I have been told that those less technically able will feel the benefit much more than those who are technically quite adapt. interesting to hear your views