26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

First a disclaimer. I've never ridden a 29er. I don't plan on buying a 29er any time soon (never say never)

The whole 29er vs 26er debate is exactly the same as the bmw vs merc, plasma vs LCD, Apple vs Android or whatever debate.

If you invest in a product emotionally or financially or both as in the case of a mountain biking product, you are going to extol it's virtues whilst ignoring or minimizing any and all of it's shortcomings.

I've no doubt that they are better for the wide open district road type of riding that is the mainstay of South African mountain biking but I'm going to come back to my main complaint around cycling in general.

To me this whole 29er thing is just another "standard" that's been shoved down our throats for the benefit of the companies that make components and no-one else.

For me personally. I don't want a 29er cos it just doesn't fit into the type of riding that I like to do which is trundling up the hill and going as fast as I dare down. Oh and I'm a short arse.

Go ride one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ride one.

Yip

I must say the "trundling uphill, go down as fast possible comment" :lol: :lol: such an overused statement by people who don't really know how to ride a bike.

I am not against anything 29er, in fact I will probably buy one this year, but as we all know there are pros and cons, depending on the route, rider, time of day, freshness of legs, route knowledge, phase of the moon, that little rock that was there just now but bumped of the track on your previous run, and of course Winnie Mandela's driver's last known traffic offence, This is just pure Spez Marketing crap. We all want to be as good on the bike as Dan, Christoph, Conrad and Burry, but unfortunately most of it boils down to genetics and talent, with a bit of hard work thrown in for good measure, Instant gratification, just buy our 29er and you will be faster. Clever. All PowerBalance buyers apply first.

I have come to the conclusion that most of us (and that includes myself at the top of the list) are a bunch of sissies when it comes to off-road riding. Wheelsize this, tire pressure that, groupset here, fork there. It is a humbling experience to watch cyclo-cross and see what can be done on rigid bikes with skinny tires on tracks I would not even dare to venture out on the nicest of days. I repeat, we are sissies. And big ones. Nuff said, my rant is now over. Pass me the chocolate milkshake.

+1

I research everything, ask all the questions and know a lot of technical stuff but at the end of the day it makes my legs no stronger or lungs any bigger and I still have the title "all the gear and no idea"...LOL

Edited by Caltrigger

I must say the "trundling uphill, go down as fast possible comment" :lol: :lol: such an overused statement by people who don't really know how to ride a bike.

In some cases yes, but have you seen Omega Man ride?

I took a 29er for a ride recently. It wasn't really all that interesting, because it felt *exactly* the way I expected it to. Like a road bike with fat wheels.

If a large percentage of the enjoyment you get out of riding is about getting airborne by using every little trail obstacle as a lip to loft off, if you climb simply to get your bike to the top, if you tolerate jeeptrack and tar just because it gets you to the flowy berm-infested singletrack, then the 29er thing doesn't matter.

I'm going to be honest here, my riding these days has very little to do with efficiency and results. I used to race my hardtail seriously a coupla years ago, and my DH bike seriously many years before that, but right now it's about fun. I don't really care if my bike gives me 3.65425 secs of advantage over the next amateur with delusions of grandeur. I don't care about multi-day stage-racing bull***t, or about carbon. What I *do* care about now is flowing and manualing through a rutted section, then whipping across a double after that, then railing a berm, dropping off a rock onto the road, and repeating the it again. 29ers suck at these things, and that's why I don't have one.

Amen to that Martin. If it aint fun, its work. Pro racers are at work on the bike. 3,256 seconds matters to them. For the rest just chill and enjoy the ride.

No Martin, I have not seen him ride, I am in Jo'Burg ;)

But yes, you get the crux of what I was referring to.

I like your post, you put there what is valid :thumbup:

In some cases yes, but have you seen Omega Man ride?

I took a 29er for a ride recently. It wasn't really all that interesting, because it felt *exactly* the way I expected it to. Like a road bike with fat wheels.

If a large percentage of the enjoyment you get out of riding is about getting airborne by using every little trail obstacle as a lip to loft off, if you climb simply to get your bike to the top, if you tolerate jeeptrack and tar just because it gets you to the flowy berm-infested singletrack, then the 29er thing doesn't matter.

I'm going to be honest here, my riding these days has very little to do with efficiency and results. I used to race my hardtail seriously a coupla years ago, and my DH bike seriously many years before that, but right now it's about fun. I don't really care if my bike gives me 3.65425 secs of advantage over the next amateur with delusions of grandeur. I don't care about multi-day stage-racing bull***t, or about carbon. What I *do* care about now is flowing and manualing through a rutted section, then whipping across a double after that, then railing a berm, dropping off a rock onto the road, and repeating the it again. 29ers suck at these things, and that's why I don't have one.

+1 :thumbup:

Just in this year I have purchased a Carbon DS/XC racer, sub 10kg racing HT and a 140mm Tomac Snyper with 150mm Forks.....

Guess what, I have not been on the fancy racing bikes once since, - I love the longer travel fun/hard/challenging/struggle and fight of the 26"/DS/140mm.

Going down to Rietvlei I totally love losing myself on the Blue trails with rocks and drops and fights, same with Thaba...

Now I just love the ride - why have a mtb if all you want to do is sit on it for hours on boring flats and non-technical ascents, if that's what you want the get a road bike...

I've never tried a 29er so basically weet bogerol daaroor but have a question:

Has anyone tried a 29er on a IDT?

Are they more comfortable?

:P

I've never tried a 29er so basically weet bogerol daaroor but have a question:

Has anyone tried a 29er on a IDT?

Are they more comfortable?

:P

Bwahahahahahaha! No, but you go faster!

Yes, I hear people says they climb like a mountain goat and descend like they are on rails on the IDT.....

Have ridden a number of bikes, both 29r and 26r, expensive and entry level.

Fact it there are fundamental differences between the two, each having their own characteristics relatively speaking.

It comes down to what works best for you and your riding, on both there are specs and geometry that affect the overall feel of the bike.

That chestnut that 29rs only perform on flat open dirt roads is bull, yes they excel on that kind of terrain but very many models perform as well on rocky rooted single track as well.

The 29r isn't hype, is there marketing hype, of course. Not withstanding though they have opened up a new area for riding in addition to 26r bikes.

Theres a place for both on their merits/models and what the individual will be comfortable on.

It really isn't a "vs" argument, horses for courses.

Oh *** now I'll have to try one, think I'll ask my LBS if he still has some test 29ers in stock.....

Oh *** now I'll have to try one, think I'll ask my LBS if he still has some test 29ers in stock.....

You'd better. Otherwise you'll be left behind and the skewers might fall off due to the extra speed.