Tokai Access

(Deon)

I got myself membership card and I hardly show at the gate for almost 2 years because I ride between 5 and 7am, while TMP guys are still asleep.... WHat is the point of having card? I don't see TMP guys putting the money back to single-tracks.... We repaired ourselves.... No signs! R35 per entrance is far too much! especially for 2hrs ride

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Red carpet, dancing girls, free bikes - Tokai is changing..

Edited by Pain or Shine

I think the day pass is too expensive, considering the state of the trails and the ease of the illegal entry. Fortunately I have a wild card so it doesn't make any difference to me, but it does irk me a bit when I have to drop a fair bit of cash for my rider permit and there is so little that Sanparks does for us

On the point of the trail condition I think that the trails are in such poor condition due to poor riding more so than a lack of maintainance. So many riders run into corners with the rear wheel locked up, it seriously gets up my nose. Most sections of Singletrack should also be closed in wet weather, that's were it really gets trashed. I dont ride most of the ST in winter to try and save the trails.

American, you are supporting conservation. Good on you for still buying the card even though your entry is before the park opens.. For many who don't work on the trails, paying for the use is the least they can be doing for the mountain.. the very least.

You guys know the volunteer system has been around for over 30 years? SANParks appreciate the work, sure they are not putting in a whole lot of effort on the trails and the annual budget is bare minimum, but then again, do you really want to be riding SANParks built singletrack? hmmm, might look a lot like the jeeptrack.. careful what y'all wish for.

, might look a lot like the jeeptrack.. careful what y'all wish for.

I'll bet the vast number of riders just pitched a tent... <_<

and yes, i dont get that sorta scene. It's mind numbing to me.

Edited by Capricorn

SANParks appreciate the work, sure they are not putting in a whole lot of effort on the trails and the annual budget is bare minimum, but then again, do you really want to be riding SANParks built singletrack?

If Sanparks really appreciate the effort, maybe they must just put out a statement that thanks the people that have been looking after the trails. Not that anyone doing trail maintenance expects anything in return but its a simple thing to do and would count a lot towards parks/riders relations.

Sanparks holds a pretty negative image with a lot of riders and this contributes to a lot of the problems imho, maybe public relations is where work is needed first. At the moment, to many riders it looks like Sanparks doesn't really care about mountainbiking at all and it is seems like it is only the efforts of non-parks volunteers that really counts.If people respected the organisation more, then they would want to work with them and actually respect the park more as well. Which means buying a wildcard not only to gain access, but also to support conservation and also growing mountain biking as a sport.

Hey Marius, fact is it is only the volunteers who know that the effort is appreciated. You've been on some of the recent builds, the stuff we have been installing shows that there is a certain shift in thought from Parks. That alone, without the need for words, shows that we are trusted to build trails that conform to the standard of sustainability, while maximizing our pleasure.

The vast majority will not know this as the vast majority do not contribute. They are not expected to either, it is only a handful of guys who give back and do so out of choice, but then how can this vast majority sit back and make ill-informed comments on the way things work. Oh, I know, they go on what they hear, like everything we hear is the truth.. <_<

• 2 months later...

Where is all the money going to? Trails are in really poor condition and is this because its administered by the city...... Check out oakvalley and thandi paul cluver..... 20 bux gets u in and DONT want to leave these single trax

Its not run by the city. It is sanparks land so your money goes to Pretoria and is then sent to all the national parks in the country. So the trails are fighting against places like Kruger Park for funding. Its just not a high priority on sanparks list

Let them use the money at Kruger, heck, they need it more!! But when is does come to spending money, please do it wisely.. Hirothequagga looks more like a white elephant and an expensive one at that. I prefer the idea that my money from riding my bike can be used for something real, like saving the Rhino..

Tokai on the other hand needs private investors.. reconstruction ahead.

Hirothequagga looks more like a white elephant and an expensive one

Imagine if there was a ridable route from the point to the cable station? Would that change things in terms of profitability and interest from the public?

I'm walking it in October but I'd much rather ride it haha. As someone who grew up on the peninsula I really like the idea of being able to ride from the point to town off road.

can they at least re-tar the road leading up to the arboretum, those potholes are killing my non-SUV motor vehicle..... :-)

the R35 is a bit steep for a single ride, but take the effort and just get a card, very worth it for a full year......

Imagine if there was a ridable route from the point to the cable station? Would that change things in terms of profitability and interest from the public?

I'm walking it in October but I'd much rather ride it haha. As someone who grew up on the peninsula I really like the idea of being able to ride from the point to town off road.

Is it a full hike with an overnight?I think there is a trail run already that does this

Walk I still have to do is the one from Hout Bay to Llundudno all along the rocks.Has to be done at low tide and is apparently quite intrepid.Not for a bike tho.....

the R35 is a bit steep for a single ride, but take the effort and just get a card, very worth it for a full year......

Hey Dude ... this isnt a choon at you ... because you have the right idea about the full year membership being worth it! ... but R35 bucks is CHEAP ... even for one ride ... we pay R40 bucks now to get access to Giba Gorge (if you are not a year member) and then yearly fees are like R800 bucks .... (and okes also sneak in still :cursing: ) ... but if you think about it this way ...

We pay R150 bucks or so to ride a RACE ... (and fine its "organised" and the trails are marked ... but the trails in Tokai are marked ...VERY WELL! ... so there is not that much difference ... only that you get a time) .... AND by paying your R35 bucks you dont get stuck behind some poluka who cant ride over a stick in the singletrack ... :ph34r:

Look im not saying we should pay R150 bucks everytime we just go for a training ride ... but these knobjockeys need to realise that the trails dont just happen and pay for themselves ... and everyone needs to contribute to help keep the trails sustainable or else we will have no where to ride other than on the district roads ...

Just keep in mind you are paying for access to the parks land (i.e. the mountain), not for access to a bike park... On the logic applied here, why do walkers need a wild card, what is being done for them? In theory the single track is the exact opposite of what they should be trying to achieve with the money they get (they are there to preserve the environment/land, not to make it more fun). It is there for us to dawdle up to silvermine over the course of a day and enjoy the scenery - they are giving back by allowing people to build trails for our benefit.

That is my understanding of the situation, I very possibly could be wrong. I think the day charges are pretty high for what you are getting, but the wild card is very reasonably priced (especially if you ride there twice a week like I try to do).