Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

I'm following it. Has done wonders for my cycling performance. Try it for 30 days and see how you do. You'll be amazed at the results. If you don't like it, you can always revert back to your old eating habits. I'm putting all my clients on this nutrition plan now. The health benefits are amazing and average joe cyclists can now keep up with the big guns. That's proof enough for me.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm following it. Has done wonders for my cycling performance. Try it for 30 days and see how you do. You'll be amazed at the results. If you don't like it, you can always revert back to your old eating habits. I'm putting all my clients on this nutrition plan now. The health benefits are amazing and average joe cyclists can now keep up with the big guns. That's proof enough for me.

'average joe cyclists can now keep up with the big guns. ' :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Takes months to become fat adapted and there is no substitute for training and hard work. After 30 days you will be slower not faster.

For years I have battled with my weight. Discovery health considers me over weight, or slightly obese. I cycle more than 1000 km a month throughout the year. I have an enlarged heart from too much endurance exercise, am almost tea total and don't eat badly, but my weight climbs at the slightest reduction in exercise.So this year, I decided to cut out all refined carbs. Gone are the occasional chocolate or fizzy drink. Nuts, biltong etc all OK.I have not had a chest infection this year after 14 bouts of cold/flu last year and ...My weight is in free fall. Its dropping too fast to be considered healthy, but I will worry about that when I reach my goal weight, since I am not starving myself .... I might even have a chocolate then .So for those in a similar situation ... Tim Noakes may be right

post-2863-0-97712300-1394198893_thumb.jpg

Edited by stratus5

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Noakes is to sport science what Bernard Madoff was to financial investing!

Exactly!

His new "research" is based on feedback from followers of his diet - no control group, no scientific method, no peer review...just a load of hogwash in other words

It's a FAD DIET, people - just like the Paleo, the South Beach Diet and all the others. It should read, "Prof" Tim Noakes.

Tim Noakes is to sport science what Bernard Madoff was to financial investing!

Exactly!

His new "research" is based on feedback from followers of his diet - no control group, no scientific method, no peer review...just a load of hogwash in other words

It's a FAD DIET, people - just like the Paleo, the South Beach Diet and all the others. It should read, "Prof" Tim Noakes.

'average joe cyclists can now keep up with the big guns. ' :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Exactly, THAT claim is almost as dodgy as Noakes' alleged "science".

Exactly!

Just don't know how this guy can advocate high carbs for 'x' amount of years and sell 'x' amount of publications and a couple of years later just make this famous "u turn" and say sorry, here's something else.. a Prof?? really? and get away with it.. he will be coming at you with new theories very soon.. and a new book etc etc etc. he's a Joke

Exactly!

Other than the fact that it works and ignoring the peer reviewed research you are right.

Just don't know how this guy can advocate high carbs for 'x' amount of years and sell 'x' amount of publications and a couple of years later just make this famous "u turn" and say sorry, here's something else.. a Prof?? really? and get away with it.. he will be coming at you with new theories very soon.. and a new book etc etc etc. he's a Joke

That's the thing about science. You read peer reviewed papers & studies, and accept them as fact (theory) and when they are disproven, as they are at the moment, those that first accept the new, improved science (with proper long-term studies and double blind tests, monitoring results, analyses and everything) are disdained because they are all of a sudden vilified for their ability to CHANGE THEIR MIND with the evidence given to them.

Nothing wrong with changing your mind if you figure you made a mistake. Like all the people that voted for a certain political party. Be nice if they admitted they made a mistake and changed their minds.

Or do you all think they should just keep on with the same old mistake? If you make a mistake man up and admit it. Don't stupidly carry on despite the evidence.

Sorry I'm with the Prof on this one.

Get hold of the book Challenging Beliefs. Read it .Then argue the points .

It is a high fat diet. Noakes specifically states that it is not a high protein diet.

The science is there and research was done by others but buried or ignored by vested interests.

He takes credit for unearthing the research and nothing else.

The main point ,even for somebody that doesn't buy into the whole argument is that sugar is the enemy no.1 and not fat.

Sweden has adopted the LCHF diet as the recommended one for their population.

Allright I know, they also gave us ABBA, but a decision like this would not have been taken lightly.

Please go read the book. Its not just about the diet . You may find a few of your own beliefs challenged.

Everyone has their own view and for me, I have lost 6kgs in 11 Weeks and in what I have read you shouldn't lose more than 800g-1kg a week. I follow my own eating plan, I have cut out "bad" carbs and coldrinks. I still eat my carbs but limit how much I eat, I have 2 cheat meals a week. My cycling performances has improved this year, riding my best races ever and doing my first sub 3.

I guess you have to find what works for you as everybody is different, what works for some doesn't work for others. We all are made uniquely and this

Noakes diet is not for me even though my one friend swears by it. My view is rather lose the weight slowly and steadily instead of fast like other diets.

Another point, all the years of bodybuilding and being a muscle-bound junkie. Protein helps repair muscles and carbs fuel your workouts.

It works for me. And know I am becoming a racing snake and enjoying a sport we all love to hate at times:).

My 2 cents.... very late to the party I know. But I think that one needs to pay careful consideration to your own genetic profile and how your own body responds to different food groups. Some people don't deal as well with meat and fats and others not so well with carbs. Noakes coming out with this one size fits all is concerning, especially when there is years and years of peer reviewed research to the contrary. I think the way that they have handled this is irresponsible, especially given the amount of money he made on his first book and the amount that he's made now off this latest one.

I'll also venture to say that any diet will cause radical weight loss when you the food alternatives given cause you to reduce your total calorie intake and/or your body rejects / struggles to use what you are putting in it.