• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Fandacious.

Only seeing the post now......

Yes....what I also thought.

I think with (after a decent scan) 5 stones waiting in the kidney to come out they wanted to take it out and test the compound.  That is what I thought.........

Turned out that it was a "normal" calcium stone.  Not enough water.

Seems the little bastard formed when I did a bit of overkill on stage 1 of the Clover tour...........

To add to the horror story......can't see that I posted it here......

After "they" (more evil than my mother in law) remove the stone, they have to put, what they call, a stent in.  This is a 5mm little pipe thingy that goes from the front end (hanging out just a little toutjie like a damn tampon) right up to the bladder.  30cm long.  Yes.....30.  This is to see to it that the blood that is coming out does not clot and permanently closes the urine pipe. 

You you walk with this.....thing.....for a week until the bleeding stops.  Each time going to the bathroom and dying BILLION deaths.

Back to go take out this thing.....pulls down pants.  Doc tells you to bite you your tongue.....then takes that toutjie hanging out and rips it out in 5 seconds.

The amount of emotions going through one guys head during that 5 seconds are immeasurable.  The emotional damage will never be repaired.  :wacko:  :blink:  ^_^

http://www.kidneystoners.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC01353.jpg

About 6 months after that I got another one.  Started drinking litres of water and beer.

Came out on it's own. 5mm.

Still waiting for the other 2? 3? to pop loose out of the kidney.  Can't wait..... :eek:

Holy hell! It's true. There is a fate worse than death! :eek:

Hospitalised at least 6 times so far (and a few smaller ones in-between) - the first was at age 12, luckily that one passed on its own.  Two years later was the first one that had to be removed.  

The worst one was in 2005 when my brother-in-law had the most delicious oranges - I ate at least one or two a day for close to two weeks - until I went crawling, roaring down the passage and gave my wife the fright of her life... 4 days in hospital, stent etc...  Now I know to stay away from vitamin C!  And any vitamin supplements for that matter....

Last 9 years I luckily only had 2, both passed.  

Lots of water, especially when training.

Edited by carrera4s

Drink hot water with a slice of lemon and ginger, daily.

That will break down crystal build up. Had a kidney stone back in 2008 that reduced me to a cripple!  My mates dad literally carried all 95kg of young J∆kk∆ls into the emergency room! I was lucky enough to pass the stone on my own even though it hurt like a MF, it beats surgery! 

• 1 year later...

Hi guys -

My kidney stone issues started at the beginning of April during my Sunday ride. I thought I wouldn't be able to cycle back home. I just stopped for coffee at Riversands for 20 minutes and I was able to ride back home with no pain. I never suspected what happened and gave it no importance.

Then the following Wednesday night it struck at home out of nowhere. Unbearable pain. I was rushed to Fourways Life and, yup, kidney stone. One passed and the other one was not obstructing so the doctor said just to take it easy. Since he wasn't specific I just rested that weekend and the next went for a ride. No pain that day but, again that Wednesday morning had to be rushed again. Lo and behold the stone came loose and was now obstructing. The only thing the doctor could do was to but a stent (no strings attached ;-) and wait for 2 weeks until the kidney healed and be ready for laser surgery as it was quite swollen. 

So last week I went for surgery and the bugger was removed. This time I was left with a stent with a string that doctor pulled out on Monday. Before I knew it it was out, but yes, it's rather painful, or rather uncomfortable, while is in place.

Doctor said I can ride this weekend but take it easy on flat terrain. I can't wait! 

Again, doctor recommended stay hydrated. The stone is being analysed and he'll let me know of there's a special diet I should follow.

Soooo.... stay hydrated out there peeps!

So I was racing J2C this last week. Woke up on day 6 with a severe pain in my back and wanted to pee every 5min. When I did pee it burnt.  Then on day 7 I was riding but every tuft of grass hurt like hell. Decided to ask a medic what y symptoms could be and he said possible kidney infection.  Prescribed Citra Soda which I have been drinking 2x a day. Doc said I possibly had small crystals that needed to be flushed out.

Is it possible that the increase in sugar consumption could have caused something? I did change my drink to Biogen before the race as I had used out before. I found that my current drink was giving me serious heart burn hence the change.

Now I am hydrating more regularly but feel that the water just goes straight through me.  Is it likely I I had kidney stones albeit small ones?

So I was racing J2C this last week. Woke up on day 6 with a severe pain in my back and wanted to pee every 5min. When I did pee it burnt.  Then on day 7 I was riding but every tuft of grass hurt like hell. Decided to ask a medic what y symptoms could be and he said possible kidney infection.  Prescribed Citra Soda which I have been drinking 2x a day. Doc said I possibly had small crystals that needed to be flushed out.

Is it possible that the increase in sugar consumption could have caused something? I did change my drink to Biogen before the race as I had used out before. I found that my current drink was giving me serious heart burn hence the change.

Now I am hydrating more regularly but feel that the water just goes straight through me.  Is it likely I I had kidney stones albeit small ones?

It's possible. Do you still have pain?

im gonna have 2 liters of water right now

I also starting drinking extra water while reading this thread.  Will down a beer or two at home for good measure.

It's possible. Do you still have pain?

I don't have the pain when i urinate but do still have some lower back pain which could be completely unrelated.

Edited by Ramrod

I don't have the pain when i urinate but do still have some lower back pain which could be completely unrelated.

Yes, it could be unrelated. Just be careful with analgesics after riding and/or if you're dehydrated. Doctor told me it's very bad for the kidneys.

Yes, it could be unrelated. Just be careful with analgesics after riding and/or if you're dehydrated. Doctor told me it's very bad for the kidneys.

Not taking any of those so all good.

• 2 months later...

I feel you mate. I dont think theres any ditect link to stones and cycling. Doesnt matter what you do, if your water intake is not enough you looking for trouble. I had two at the same time. One in each kidney. Passed the left one but the right one needed surgery and stent. Avoid anything that dehydrates you like sugar and coffee etc. Keep taking the water. Remind yourself of the suffering you went through when you dont feel like water. You will amazed how quickly you change your mind...

A doc told me many years ago just to drink Alka Fizz regularly.

So I keep a bottle at home and have a glass of the stuff every couple of days.

Tastes delicious too

Let's hope I never get to experience what some of you guys have been through.

Sorry Fandacious.

Only seeing the post now......

Yes....what I also thought.

I think with (after a decent scan) 5 stones waiting in the kidney to come out they wanted to take it out and test the compound.  That is what I thought.........

Turned out that it was a "normal" calcium stone.  Not enough water.

Seems the little bastard formed when I did a bit of overkill on stage 1 of the Clover tour...........

To add to the horror story......can't see that I posted it here......

After "they" (more evil than my mother in law) remove the stone, they have to put, what they call, a stent in.  This is a 5mm little pipe thingy that goes from the front end (hanging out just a little toutjie like a damn tampon) right up to the bladder.  30cm long.  Yes.....30.  This is to see to it that the blood that is coming out does not clot and permanently closes the urine pipe. 

You you walk with this.....thing.....for a week until the bleeding stops.  Each time going to the bathroom and dying BILLION deaths.

Back to go take out this thing.....pulls down pants.  Doc tells you to bite you your tongue.....then takes that toutjie hanging out and rips it out in 5 seconds.

The amount of emotions going through one guys head during that 5 seconds are immeasurable.  The emotional damage will never be repaired.  :wacko:  :blink:  ^_^

http://www.kidneystoners.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC01353.jpg

About 6 months after that I got another one.  Started drinking litres of water and beer.

Came out on it's own. 5mm.

Still waiting for the other 2? 3? to pop loose out of the kidney.  Can't wait..... :eek:

Did they ever come?