Suikerbosrand Cycling

Johan Bornman

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paid a visit to Suikerbos office this morning.The person I spoke to is in management and I was well received. The news, it would seem, is good.

No we will not be thrown out and the reserve is not closing down.

From our little meeting (very informal, and I made a point that I came as an individual) I gathered that littering was a problem .

But if there is something that really irk these people it is CYCLISTS ATTITUDE.

When an official or a person in a bakkie is trying to communicate some minor mistake to you,it is of no use to tell him that you have been cycling there for years.

I was told that the past weekend some cyclists were told not to ride the wrong way.

Their reply was, " There are baboons living in the cliffs here , why don't you go stay with them". That's really making friends.

We need less "grootmeneer" and more cooperation .

And eating a bit of humble pie instead of trying to prove you are right all the time.

Would it not be much nicer to be seen as people who they don't mind having around ,rather than being perceived as a nuisance.

I am planning to follow up .There are some good ideas here on the hub. Maybe we can PM and get some things in place.( We have jobs as well)

Maybe also a committee of sorts to give the reserve a point of entry should they have problems , instead of letting something stew for months.

PLEASE GUYS AND GIRLS KEEP YOUR EGOS AND YOUR GEL SACHETS IN YOUR POCKETS.

Don't ride against the traffic.

Be friendly to the staff.

Thank You

Edited by Blokman

I say we do Saturday morning :)

@1Hill, Let me know if you ever get any proof :)

i will be taking photo's and notes, *formats memory card*

Great work Blokman, thanks for actually doing something about this. Perhaps what the rest of us can do in return is communicate the following to our clubs and cycling buddies;

- NO Frikking littering

- Dont ride in wrong direction

- Be friendly to the staff members

- Chirp the dooshbags that they see breaking these rules :cursing:

This is one of the few places us Joburgers can do some proper climbing so lets not ruin it.

PS - Gu's are for sissy's anyway, you dont need em around SB, toughen the hell up :whistling:

Edited by rattlesnake

Rules, rules and more rules.

There only needs to be one rule.

Don't be a pratt. Not being a pratt will prevent littering, shouting at park officials etc.

Hmmm I may have that silk screened onto the back of my riding shirts.

Maybe nubbin* - that has a much better ring to it...

*nubbin is property of the drongo corporation - any and all unauthorised use of the word nubbin will results in PTFE being added to youor brake rotors.

Rules, rules and more rules.

There only needs to be one rule.

Don't be a pratt.

+1 - unfortunately some of our fellow human beings (cyclists) struggle to make the link between these things..... need to spell it out for them.

was there Sunday. A few obervations from someone who does not get there often...

- having seen this thread I kept my eye open for empty gu's etc. Surprisingly didn't see anything - though that could either be because I was using 100% of my mental capacity to keep the legs turning on some of those hills, or perhaps Blokman was riding ahead of me :thumbup:

- Was surpised to see about 90% of the guys on the road were on mountain bikes (or perhaps they were the only ones I was able to pass...) :whistling:

- I found all the staff I interacted with very friendly and welcoming - no vibe of not being wanted. Like most things in life its proabably a factor of how you behave being reflected back

- I did see one very kitted out roadie cruising back down a hill going the wrong way :thumbdown:

All in all this is a priceless cycling paradise though.

was there Sunday. A few obervations from someone who does not get there often...

- having seen this thread I kept my eye open for empty gu's etc. Surprisingly didn't see anything - though that could either be because I was using 100% of my mental capacity to keep the legs turning on some of those hills, or perhaps Blokman was riding ahead of me :thumbup:

- Was surpised to see about 90% of the guys on the road were on mountain bikes (or perhaps they were the only ones I was able to pass...) :whistling:

- I found all the staff I interacted with very friendly and welcoming - no vibe of not being wanted. Like most things in life its proabably a factor of how you behave being reflected back

- I did see one very kitted out roadie cruising back down a hill going the wrong way :thumbdown:

All in all this is a priceless cycling paradise though.

A few pages back is a photo of junk that I picked up yesterday.But granted the place is not a mess. Original post mentioned antelope ingesting gel packets and dying as a result .You only need one .

I agree that by far the most cyclists are well behaved , but one guy behaving badly and we all get tarred with the same brush.

+1 - unfortunately some of our fellow human beings (cyclists) struggle to make the link between these things..... need to spell it out for them.

with a slap !

I'll see tonight if i can find a profile, most likely though someone would have posted one already.

Solo heres the profile //////////////

Just about spot on . Just double that hill second from last .

Edit: With all the hoohaa I actually read the pamphlet I got at the gate ages ago.

The beacon on your left before the descent to the dam is the highest spot in the whole Witwatersrand area

Edited by Blokman