XCO getting out of reach of 'joe public'?

NotSoBigBen

I know that most will say I'm just a 'pissy' (as Marius would have said) and should HTFU but what y'all think of this statement (keeping in mind the Sabie issues recently as well ....)

“Traditionally, downhill has been a spectator sport,” continues Floros. “There are tumbles, stylish ‘big air’, challenging obstacles, and now cross-country is going that way."

I guess AM 650b bikes will be the way to go ;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm NOT aiming at my foot so I hope I miss it.....What is the porpouse of Cross-country ? I am asking this because I don't understand the sudden emphasis on " rock gardens". What is the test.... if the bike can handle the obstacle???? that is the manufacturers job and expense when the bike fails to do the job.....if the cyclist can handle the obstacle????? well, many can and many cant, so I would suggest that if these tests were on the trail... full body armour should be COMPULSORY.... not because I am a nerd or a sissy or over 60.... but because it can end tragically sooner than later.

Recently heard at a " Provincial XCO" that the course was too hard... how? "too many steep climbs", well that is different, "too much turning, tchnical and not smooth enough".... is this a road ride or mountain biking? Marathons are aimed at the " not so technical" riders...ridden mainly on jeep track, sand roads and the too few single tracks made by animals/ humans. It starts at a point and you get to see the riders at the finish 1,2, or three hours later.

In my humble opinion.. cross country is about bike handling skills at speed. The ups and downs make for the tests of strength... the turns make for bike handling skills... not about trying to see how many end up at the medics... at this XCO we treated 2 people for respiratory complaint and 1 for scratches and 1 for a thorn.... not bad for a course that is " Too difficult".....there were quiet a few mature mountain bikers there and they unanimously said " we need more of these trails" . I hope I havn't shot myself in the foot. Just my 5c.

Wendell , you have the best XCO cousre in JHB ( and most of sa for that matter ), could ride there for days doing laps , love it.

My 5c worth .

I'm NOT aiming at my foot so I hope I miss it.....What is the porpouse of Cross-country ? I am asking this because I don't understand the sudden emphasis on " rock gardens". What is the test.... if the bike can handle the obstacle???? that is the manufacturers job and expense when the bike fails to do the job.....if the cyclist can handle the obstacle????? well, many can and many cant, so I would suggest that if these tests were on the trail... full body armour should be COMPULSORY.... not because I am a nerd or a sissy or over 60.... but because it can end tragically sooner than later.

Recently heard at a " Provincial XCO" that the course was too hard... how? "too many steep climbs", well that is different, "too much turning, tchnical and not smooth enough".... is this a road ride or mountain biking? Marathons are aimed at the " not so technical" riders...ridden mainly on jeep track, sand roads and the too few single tracks made by animals/ humans. It starts at a point and you get to see the riders at the finish 1,2, or three hours later.

In my humble opinion.. cross country is about bike handling skills at speed. The ups and downs make for the tests of strength... the turns make for bike handling skills... not about trying to see how many end up at the medics... at this XCO we treated 2 people for respiratory complaint and 1 for scratches and 1 for a thorn.... not bad for a course that is " Too difficult".....there were quiet a few mature mountain bikers there and they unanimously said " we need more of these trails" . I hope I havn't shot myself in the foot. Just my 5c.

I like your post!! :thumbup: ... except for the full body armor idea

Edited by Hairy

"Difficult" is always a relative term!

Good, technical riding is one thing but gap jumps and hectic rock gardens are another.

In Eldron's perfect world XCO courses have:

Lots of altitude change - rideable but steep - portage is for cyclocross riders.

Technical sections ranging from a few metres to a few hundred metres (depending on technical difficulty).

Some smooth and fast sections to test the cardio system (and get the water and food into your gob).

Trees, rocks, roots, berms, drop offs, bumps, river crossings, wooden bridges etc.

My favourite XCO course is Mankele - just the right blend of technical, wet roots, lungbusting climbs and scenic flatland along the river.

My cut off is gap jumps and big boulders - if riders start considering body armour for the course then it doesn't belong in XCO - we race in lycra, gloves and helmets...

http://www.bicycling.co.za/files/touchline/bicycling/imagecache/slideshow_content_landscape/stairs.jpg

Guest Omega Man

M. I disagree.

I thought the xc at the world cup looked awesome. Real obstacles for real riders. It's mountain biking. And these are the best riders on the planet. The track should test them and be good for television. These guys are at the pinnacle of performance and way beyond Joe public.

Also on the DH course the tabletops were HUGE and far beyond the ability of the average downhiller. Once again. These are the best riders on the planet so smashing an 18m tabletop should be do-able for them.

XCO is big in Europe. My guess is that they have a lack of space to do marathon. Also, when I cycled 400km across Germany I saw very little variation in terrain. There was little to no anything 'technical' compared to riding around Joburg. And you can cram in the spectators. It a whole different sport.

There is a difference between a World champion course, and a local (divisional) coure.

I would think the aim for having a xco race in your division (central gauteng or northern gauteng etc) is to invite all riders of all levels to attend, and partake in order to grow the sport.

With all due respect, i think the CG XCO held at Thaba Trails was way beyond the ability of the regular rider.

If i was a noob (i sure felt like one afterwards) rider wanting to test the water, to see what xco is all about, i would have probably never set foot offroad again.

In terms of developing the sport (perhaps i should rather ride in sports class than my age group) i think the route kinda missed the point.

The one thing the route DID do, was make me re-look my perceived fitness level, and refocus my training.

i enjoyed last year's national route at rietvlei 100 times more!!

No, i am not a XCM rider who long for wide open dirt roads with the odd section of voetpad to create the recuired bottleneck.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/files/touchline/bicycling/imagecache/slideshow_content_landscape/stairs.jpg

Holy crap :eek: Didn't realize I had a fear of heights until I looked at that

So once you have developed the skill to do that drop it must be a really fun section to do.

technical sections are as important as switchbacks and uphills. It is what enables joe public to aspire to. Just as i got to a point of being able to ride the full xc course at cascades they went and added more to it. I like that - it gives me a new challenge till August 2013. To say the bike does it all is faf from the truth, its about choosing lines and avoiding obstacles. At the Xc the other day, the technical is what stood between nino and burry. It was also the technical that made or broke the ride for some of the womans elite. keep it in and keep us thinking!

So once you have developed the skill to do that drop it must be a really fun section to do.

that log sectionis all about the mind.......its gonna take my mind a long time though