XCO getting out of reach of 'joe public'?

NotSoBigBen

Aaah something else to remember too. Someone mentioned a mix of dh and xc and someone else spoke of "gravity dice" ... The UCI has a format called "enduro"this is a race format similar to rally racing where you haave a specific time to get to a stage start and then your stage is a long downhilltrail that your tiime is taken on. What a lot of guys don't know is that julien absolon has podiumed in this style of event behind his brother remi who raaces DH. So the top XC guuys can also race dh style events with the big boys.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nigelhicks - thank you for your in-depth and valuable contribution to this thread, and of course all the other things we could thank you for ( :clap: )

You said exactly what many of us tried to say, but in a very reasonable, logical, practical and eloquent manner...

Edited by TheV

OK OK you guys win, guess I'll just go back to my roadie roots then :mellow:

ill have my rocks anyday of over what you guys get up to in that big bunch at insane speeds

Edited by Stretch

:w00t: i' should probably just shut up, but I cant help myself...

But i'm just going to dangle my opinion out there anyway... maybe Nigel is being "too technical" when sharing his thoughts with us... especially for us amateurs who have not been riding thaba since 12 years ago....

I really hope that 12 years from now i would be able to ride the XCO course, because you can like to ride @ 87km/h as a pro but battle dropping a log...

;) it's hard to contradict yourself....

Anyways, i LOVE your work Nigeee'boy, i freaken went BOS while watching the DH and the XCO on TV - it was absolutely superb.... cant wait for next year, im certain it's going to be awesome...

nigelhicks - thank you for your in-depth and valuable contribution to this thread, and of course all the other things we could thank you for ( :clap: )

You said exactly what many of us tried to say, but in a very reasonable, logical, practical and eloquent manner...

Yes indeed +1 to Nige...

I'm happy to leave XC Racing to the Pros, and those who really like to push it - personally I don't enjoy it as a type of course/cycling, prefer the marathons which are journeys through the landscape. Sweeping trails, long fast descents, some hardpack, single track, not constant technical ups & downs for me thanks. Its another level, one I don't aspire to.

But I do enjoy watching the World Cup type events, which thanks to Red Bull we will see on-line again this year. The comments were from the Swiss Team Scott was that the Pmb track has raised the bar in terms of the World Cup. Drop-offs are an essential skiil, the rock gardens added another level, showed a deficit of skills in some competitors. He said what was missing for the World Championship was a technical ascent which should/would be included. That's also a good test of skills and fitness (one which I fail miserably)

So to build the sport from a spectator & competition pov, Pmb was job well done.

Edited by kosmonooit

The UCI has a format called "enduro"this is a race format similar to rally racing What a lot of guys don't know is that julien absolon has podiumed in this style of event behind his brother remi who raaces DH. So the top XC guuys can also race dh style events with the big boys.

mmmmhhh megavalanche. :drool:

we should have those.

I'm happy to leave XC Racing to the Pros, and those who really like to push it - personally I don't enjoy it as a type of course/cycling, prefer the marathons which are journeys through the landscape. Sweeping trails, long fast descents, some hardpack, single track, not constant technical ups & downs for me thanks. Its another level, one I don't aspire to.

I agree with you fully here, it's horses for courses, I don't mind lap racing but it must be in a 24 hour type event.

I just don't have the skills like TheV here has.

But I really feel like that village idiot in the ASG thread.

@TheV ,three burns in there different posts.

First your sons awesome skills, then you burn me again and then a third time.

Yes I took the bait, but I can't compete with that, well done to you sir, you are the winner ,I bow down to you sir.

http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbiting_100-1081.gif

@bigben - don't give up that easily. As I said previously, although our foccus in SA is on marathon the XCO races are aa good way to hone your skills. If one comes up in your area don't be afraid to go and give it a burn. The lap style of racing allows you to re-ride sections that may be a little out off your league initially, but then as your confidence grows you may try something new. It really is good for your skills. Just be able to be the guy who rides a chicken run without fear of being chooned.

Chicken runs are for sissies! Earn trail cred and land on your head!!

Next time you'll know to pop up the front and you'll experience a new meaning for soar... That is where the fun starts!!

Chicken runs are for sissies! Earn trail cred and land on your head!!

Next time you'll know to pop up the front and you'll experience a new meaning for soar... That is where the fun starts!!

Will earn HUGE street cred with the family.. landing on my head, and not being able to provide. YUP, the thing to do! Where to start?

Edited by HEman

Will earn HUGE street cred with the family.. landing on my head, and not being able to provide. YUP, the thing to do! Where to start?

You can start in PMB. Apparantly its way too technical and you could end up on your head in the rock garden :whistling:

You can start in PMB. Apparantly its way too technical and you could end up on your head in the rock garden

Thanks, I'll rush down there ASAP. Just have this little dirt-roadie ride in the Cape that I'm following for the next few days. Reckon April 1 will bebe a good day to earn street cred with the family! :blink:

Thanks, I'll rush down there ASAP. Just have this little dirt-roadie ride in the Cape that I'm following for the next few days. Reckon April 1 will bebe a good day to earn street cred with the family! :blink:

You can pimp your wheelchair, absolute street cred :thumbup: