Wax or Oil based Lube. Which is best?

Greg29

Yeh - problem for me with that is that tiny wax particles are still wax. I'm sorry, but a candle ain't gonna lubricate the same as oil.

I suspect the fact that it is clean is actually what everyone likes (me too), but if you want lube, you need oil.

Ahhh but you get different grades of wax davetapsonsan!

I'm guessing the ones in Squirt are the "smearing" type of wax not the traditional hard wax we know from candles.

Like I said - I'm not sure about the science but before I apply Squirt the chain is noisy and scrathcy - afterwards it's quiet and smoot - there has to be some lubrication going on there.

Or wax magic. Who knows? Proof in pudding I say.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody is really passionate about wax being a lubricant, they could always fill their car up with squirt next oil change, and then we can see... ;)

I used to use squirt. At the LBS I bought my new mtb, the workshop manager uses RedHot chain lube. Its an aerosol lube, on my second can, very happy so far, used it in wet and dry conditions without any hassles. Cleaning is just as easy, Redhot chain and cassette cleaner, spray on, wait, rinse. After that I run my bike's chain through the chain cleaner gadget.

Easy peasy

i use rock n roll extreme. its the best of both worlds. Its a wax and wet lube in one. awesome stuff :thumbup:

I myself am also a R&R Extreme boy. It works.

I'm in a similar position - I use Squirt most of the time.

If it looks like a wet race/ride I just give the chain as good a wipe as I can with a clean cloth then add the wet lube over. So far so good. I use Finishline wet lube - nice and sticky.

I also use a combination. Normally use squirt the night before. I f i can see it is going to be very muddy or wet i will run some Purple Extreme over, Wipe the excess off and No Issues!

this is coming from a person who used to have issued with chain suck all the time. The trick with any dry/wax lube is to give it enough time to dry.

Ahhh but you get different grades of wax davetapsonsan!

I'm guessing the ones in Squirt are the "smearing" type of wax not the traditional hard wax we know from candles.

Like I said - I'm not sure about the science but before I apply Squirt the chain is noisy and scrathcy - afterwards it's quiet and smoot - there has to be some lubrication going on there.

Or wax magic. Who knows? Proof in pudding I say.

I can also vouch for this....

Eldron...you not my alter ego...are you??

Another fact...I'm on a VERY old chain (i mean...you can see the rollers actually moving loosely on the pins......)....I can SEE the squirt dissapearing into the rolles/pins...that "wax" stays inside the rollers...I'm a very big advocate for CORRECT APPLICATION technique...do not simply apply all over...take a liitle more time and put on rollers only - not side plates...it serves no purpose other than perhaps rust prevention...

I'm an oily character myself. That Q10 stuff (the old 3-in-1 in disguise) though I used to use motor oil. Yeah, it's messy and it gets everything black, but I've never bust a chain or had mechanicals in some 40 (very) odd years of riding.

You also don't need to re-apply every 100kms or whatever.

But to clarify, I'm talking road bikes. I think I'd still use it on an MTB. I can't think that it attracts any more dust than a sticky, waxy lubricant (which I tried at one stage but hated. Now I only use it to lube nuts and bolts).

+1 I use the same on my bicycles (MTB and Road) and motorcycle. I have found that chains on my motorcycle have not lasted using wax based lubes, as do chains using oil based lubes. Yes its messy and does make black but it works ...

• 3 weeks later...
Wax - Squirt - Most of the time my riding is in dry and dusty conditions. I keep a small bottle of wet lub in my bag for longer rides. My one gripe is that they make the Squirt bottles too small, how about a 500ml / 1lt bottle guys?
You do get Squirt in 500ml bottles - just got one yday at Hattons cycles, Pmb. Great value too - R180 for 500ml. I'd guess LBSes would rather not stock it cos they want yu to keep comin back!

Don't you find oil based lubricantd attract dirt/dust? I tried a few and pretty much needed to clean my drivetrain after every ride (some people say you should anyway!).

With Wax (and specifically Squirt) I only lube my road bike every 6 or 7th ride and it stays clean. MTB every second ride.

Wet is, of course, a different case.

What is considered wet? One crossing of the Braamfontein Spruit or rain and mud?

it's been a while since we had a lube thread, and never has it gone so far without an argument, well I never....

I use Muc-Off dry wax lube for my road bike and MTB when I know it's going to be a dry ride. But more than 3 river crossings and it comes off and I need to relube with...

Finish Line Wet. I always carry a small bottle of this. I'll start a ride/race on this if I know the conditions will be wet.

I use Muc-Off dry wax lube for my road bike and MTB when I know it's going to be a dry ride. But more than 3 river crossings and it comes off and I need to relube with...

Finish Line Wet. I always carry a small bottle of this. I'll start a ride/race on this if I know the conditions will be wet.

Thought I would give this a go about a month ago...terrible but the applicator bottle is pretty sweet.

T9 for me, thanks so much