Best rear light for visibilty?

Nobody

What would be the best rear light for visibilty while commuting?

I have one on the seatpost, another on my back pack.

The seatpost is for low cars and I dont think the light on my back pack is visible enough.

What do you use?

Yes, to be seen by vehicle. I want to be visible to other vehicles on the road (and other bicycles as I am slow). There is that part of the morning and sunset when the light is weird and that is when i need to be a moving christmas tree.

I find a white headlight works best. I use one at the rear, and cars give a wide berth.

I have added some reflective tape on my seat stays. I also bought one of those cheap yellow jackets at Anatomic with the reflective strip down the back.

I have a light on the seat post as well as a little one on my backpack.

I have more or less the same problem and try to overcome it by doing the following.

Prismatic reflective patches on the wheels and the side of the frame. Knog red and white on the stays, Blackburn flea on my backpack, Flea on my handlebars but if I can still see clearly, my Magic light is on my seat post flashing rearwards and upwards. I move it to the front on flashing if it becomes too dark. I also have a RavX rear light on my seat post and this is very bright. I have an elasticized red flashing small light on my helmet as well.

Added to all this, I have sewed reflective tape onto the arms of my jacket and on the back where it is not obscured by my backpack. I use reflective ankle straps as well

As TNT said, I also think white works best.

You can never have enough lights! Think Christmas tree with a strobe effect.

Even with all this, some vehicles seem not to see you too well hence my overkill on my 60km commute

I use one of these Magiclight MJ818's: http://www.magicligh...ke-lights/mj818

Super bright!

+1000 -

Rear facing - we have the same light on our seatpost - motorists often comment on how bright it is. And we have the red Blackburn flea light mounted on the back of our helmets. Plus we wear hi- vis vests

Front facing - On handlebars we have a magiclight ( Claimed 900lumens) and white Blackburn flea light on our helmets.

I find a white headlight works best. I use one at the rear, and cars give a wide berth.

A rear white light is a problem for other cyclists - it blinds vision. A red light does not dazzle eyes and is why cars have red rear lights.

My blinding white skin. I'm so pale, headlights shine through me and drivers think they've been caught up in a Johnny Cash Ghostriders video.

I use a spare headlamp which has a flicking red light, wrap it around the seat post and saddlebag.

A rear white light is a problem for other cyclists -

****em. If they are so slow that they're behind me, they got bigger problems than a white light light in their eyes.

The magicshine MJ818 is definitely the most powerful I've come across (80 lumens)... PM me for more info if you're interested (come through and have a look at one if you're in the CT area)...

What would be the best rear light for visibilty while commuting?

I have one on the seatpost, another on my back pack.

The seatpost is for low cars and I dont think the light on my back pack is visible enough.

What do you use?

Luckily my seat post is quite long so my tail light is just at the right height....

I saw a shop here that had a really good test facility where all the front and rear lights were set up in a dark room where you could test them via a remote switch and it worked really well...

I checked their website but its in german and it only had the following info in PDF which did not translate very well. The first link is the translated version and the second is the original, have a look its not to difficult to figure out what they say

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.veloplus.ch/pdf/fachinformation/beleuchtung_ruecklichtertest062007104113717.pdf&ei=jiyHT_iWKMul8gOT0N28Bw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dveloplus%2Brucklichter%2Bim%2Btest%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADRA_enCH448%26biw%3D1105%26bih%3D508%26prmd%3Dimvns

http://www.veloplus.ch/pdf/fachinformation/beleuchtung_ruecklichtertest062007104113717.pdf

I was gong to post a pic (was going to take the pic inside my bicycle room in the dark with all lights on) of my bikes current visibility from the back but as i was about to leave this morning my front tire went flat and would not seal. Luckily I have a headlamp and light on back-pack so i just grabbed one of the other bikes and was on my way and visible in the dark. I still think more lights make the drivers behave better.