Coffee machine

Morning coffee fans and gurus. I need hand grinder recommendations. Im looking for a quality grinder that I can travel with in hand luggage - I would prefer local dealer or over www.

Hario or Porlex look like the standard options?

Only place to go really after that is Orphan Espresso...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've successfully used a hole saw a few times to turn a regular portafilter into a naked portafilter. The brass is pretty soft and so it's not difficult to do. I then used a couple of different grits of sand paper wrapped around the same hole saw to clean up. If your portafilter is brass with a chrome plating (as the ones I've used are) your cut will expose the brass and so the finish will be different where you drill through. I would also recommend getting a nice precision triple basket (VST or IMS perhaps).

Just use a hole saw - from the inside - you can use a rotary tool to clean up afterward but if you have the right hole saw it's pretty clean.

Just dont sacrifice a nice looking pf...

Morning coffee fans and gurus. I need hand grinder recommendations. Im looking for a quality grinder that I can travel with in hand luggage - I would prefer local dealer or over www.

Hario or Porlex look like the standard options?

The tall skinny stainless steel Hario look great, the form factor is perfect, easy to hold in your hand when grinding and they fit inside an aeropress if you want to travel with one. I had the Chinese clone, awesome just the burrs were badly aligned so I gave up, the Hario won't have that issue.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.comandantegrinder.com/

Those look good, I'd also prefer metal burrs, something robust enough to last a lifetime of use and abuse.

The tall skinny stainless steel Hario look great, the form factor is perfect, easy to hold in your hand when grinding and they fit inside an aeropress if you want to travel with one. I had the Chinese clone, awesome just the burrs were badly aligned so I gave up, the Hario won't have that issue. Those look good, I'd also prefer metal burrs, something robust enough to last a lifetime of use and abuse.

Don’t try save money on a grinder. It makes the biggest difference equipment wise to your coffee

Edited by iteachcoffee

Do you mean this one?

http://www.comandantegrinder.com/

Correct. Traveling with one now (judged at London Coffee festival, and now off to Helsinki festival)

It’s my travel grinder of choice. And quite a few coffee professionals are using them in brewers competitions successfully due to their excellent particle size distribution

Correct. Traveling with one now (judged at London Coffee festival, and now off to Helsinki festival)

It’s my travel grinder of choice. And quite a few coffee professionals are using them in brewers competitions successfully due to their excellent particle size distribution

Helsinki is one of my favorite cities - spent about 2 years there in total - got a few mates there if you are bored :)

Took a drive to the KZN Midlands on Sunday and stopped in at Steampunk Coffee. While we were chilling outside enjoying our drinks, I peeped inside their roasting room and laid eyes on this interesting specimen, Not sure what it used to be, maybe the aficionados could chime in and enlighten me. 

post-17843-0-17964700-1524474994_thumb.jpg

post-17843-0-27541500-1524474977_thumb.jpg

post-17843-0-74480100-1524474960_thumb.jpg

post-17843-0-15465900-1524474969_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone used or have opinions on the Breville 870 with the grinding unit etc?

Don't have a R12k+ second hand budget for the professional range machines I want, but thought this might be a workable acceptable alternative.

Read about guys shimming the grinders to get a finer espresso grind.

Don't want an automatic bean to cup. machine

Anyone used or have opinions on the Breville 870 with the grinding unit etc?

Don't have a R12k+ second hand budget for the professional range machines I want, but thought this might be a workable acceptable alternative.

Read about guys shimming the grinders to get a finer espresso grind.

Don't want an automatic bean to cup. machine

That is like peeing into a 40 knot south wester.... you won't be happy with the results - and  you won't sell it for anything close to what you pay - unless you buy second hand...