Coffee machine

I have always loved the wooden customization on these machines, just got mine back yesterday...

Apologies for poor pics

That looks really nice! I have been following Specht Designs on Instagram and they do similar work.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Op daai noot, ek dink ons moet vanmiddag se raadsvergadering om 'n koppie koffie voor my vuur hou as dit uit reën.

Verseker!

That looks really nice! I have been following Specht Designs on Instagram and they do similar work.

Thanks

Yes I also follow him, he does some nice stuff, there was also a hectic post recently around issues he's had with Slayer machines.

in theory, but reality its not really an issue, i paid nothing(R4k) for my almost new Oscar, Nerd can vouch for its condition :blush:

i don't have issue making multiple cups, when having family or mates over, if there is a gripe its the 5mins waiting for the boiler to build pressure, but this is ok a simple turn on machine before brushing teeth on the morning and there you go!

i love my Oscar, can't see myself replacing it anytime soon, i may just upgrade my ascaso grinder soon still deciding!

Yours was a once in a lifetime deal for sure!

New prices not quite in the budget, so keep a close eye on the second hand market. Gaggia does tend to be a fair bit cheaper on average in this case.

That 2L boiler on the Oscar does seem a little excessive for making 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee.

The Oscar does not use the boiler directly for the brew water - the brew water runs in a "pipe" through the water in the boiler which is at a higher temperature than needed for coffee - the brew water starts out cold and then the pump pushes it through the pipe and it heats up to the required temp (with some help from the brewhead as well) the boiler water is only used directly for steam - and 2l is about a comfortable minimum for decent steam - 3l is better - especially when it comes to steaming milk for 2 large lattes in 1 jug - if you are good at steaming, then 2l is just enough, but 3l is definitely enough - NO WAY will you easily steam 900ml of milk in 1 jug using a 2l boiler - but with a big commercial boiler it's a walk in the park (4 - 12l).

Hi all, this is the thread that helped me choose my machine. @V12man is a top advice giver, I would definitely listen to him.

I've been using my Isomac Millienium for almosst 4 years now with absolutely no problems. I've stopped having coffee when I go out because it almost never compares.

I have always loved the wooden customization on these machines, just got mine back yesterday...

Apologies for poor pics

Man that gives me ideas for my San Marco with the ugly red!! Yours looks awesome

Advice please.

I have a Breville Oracle Coffee Machine.

Lately the portafilter basket is getting stuck in the group head.

When I release the portafilter, the basket stays inside the grouphead and the handle comes out. I cant see any signs of damage and I am being particularly careful to not tighten it too much.

Is there something wrong with the portafilter retaining ring? 

Advice please.

I have a Breville Oracle Coffee Machine.

Lately the portafilter basket is getting stuck in the group head.

When I release the portafilter, the basket stays inside the grouphead and the handle comes out. I cant see any signs of damage and I am being particularly careful to not tighten it too much.

Is there something wrong with the portafilter retaining ring? 

One of 2 things:

1 - Probably you need to clean the seal inside the grouphead - they get covered in coffee grounds etc

2 - the other thing you may have is that you are getting too much coffee in the basket - and it sticks to the distribution block (coffee swells a bit when you add water)

- hard to tell without photos.

Another option could be the seal is worn, once the rubber gets too smooth it can stick. 

Fortunately on the oracle its easy to pull the seal and screen out to check! 

Morning, some recommendations please...

I do have a manual burr grinder & plunger, but now want a machine that produces a good espresso & occasional cappuccino.

The budget is R10k, but I can reconsider upping if needs be.

The criteria is, a good cuppa, also must produce hot coffee (I had a nespresso machine which I gave away, because it was just not hot enough, plus I wasn't happy with pods from an environmental point of view), reliability & cost of maintenance.

A strong possibility would be the entry Jura machine at about R10K? What else should I consider?

TIA

Breville Oracle is not available in SA

Rocket and grinder - saw one on fb for sale a couple of days ago - no affiliation - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/151958198924098

Home espresso machines have fairly long startup times - so you may want to consider having both a super auto (for wife and when you are in a hurry) and a proper machine for when you have time - I have this at home.

As to home roasting.... not worth the trouble if you are not running a decent espresso setup - but there are small easy to use home roasters available in SA - but they are not very flexible in the greater scheme of things - https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/products/gene-cafe-cbr-101-home-coffee-bean-roaster

Fark!!! how did I miss that Rocket???