Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look closely you'll see there are slits on the outside sides of the gasket, which in theory allow you to get a pick in there to pry out the gasket.

Other option is an awl that you push into the gasket and take it out.

What I've done is use a bread knife and pry the seal out on the inside, working around like using a tyre lever to get a tyre off till there's enough seal exposed to lift it off. You don't push the knife against the group though.

In my experience you basically only take it out to replace it as you will most like damage the gasket in the process.

My gasket was brittle and rock hard, so chances are yours is the same. Got a new one for R150 from Tazzadoro.

Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the tank and shake it - that should show you if it's the sensor not seeing the filtered water - it will stop trying to fill the boiler.

Thanks I've tried this and normal water, no cigar. Water is being taken from the tank to the boiler so that's not the issue. It's not getting it out from there with any pressure or flow as it should when I activate the pump. Unless I have to run out all the water from the boiler so it totally fills with new water, but don't see the water type having an effect on how it's pumped out?

Thanks I've tried this and normal water, no cigar. Water is being taken from the tank to the boiler so that's not the issue. It's not getting it out from there with any pressure or flow as it should when I activate the pump. Unless I have to run out all the water from the boiler so it totally fills with new water, but don't see the water type having an effect on how it's pumped out?

When the machine thinks there is no water in the tank (electrical sensor). then it won't run the pump properly - try to find the tank water level sensor and short it out to see if that is the problem - the other water level sensor will be in the boiler - that too may need cleaning and descaling.

Other than that maybe the pump is faulty/has debris in it - maybe a trip to the service agents is called for.

Hi WW, mine is still okay, not brittle at all, will hold off on the removal for now. In terms of your machine, I assume your water sensor light is not on?

Not to state the obvious, but if it is, despite the tank being full, have a look in the manual, it gives instructions on how to on what to do to get the water going again.

Thanks V12 will check it out, maybe I need to take it in. Just a bit frustrating as I went all the way there to get the seal, had I known I would have taken the machine as well.

Cadence no the light isn't on thanks.

I have to get me a Aeropress, and before my next trip to China.

Chatting to a Yank in the hotel restaurant, he came to my rescue this morning (China time), and offered a freshly brew cuppa - and to think I've slowly gotten used to the *** taste.

The Chinese cannot make coffee - if it were possible, they'd burn the water too.

Posted too quick...

What's the benchmark price for the Aeropress?

Or where should I look to buy? Online or in SA?

Is it better to get the stainless steel filter, than using the paper filters?

What else should be considered?

Edited by geraldm24

They seem to be the same price everywhere in SA. I just got one with a Stainless Steel filter and a hand grinder. It's pretty fun and brings out a great flavour profile. Awesome for when I don't feel like espresso or a cappuccino.

I could get you the Aeropress and Porlex hand grinder for R1200. Then you could use the paper filters that come with it or buy a Stainless Steel filter for R200.

So for R1400 you could be set. :)

Edited by Fruity

They seem to be the same price everywhere in SA. I just got one with a Stainless Steel filter and a hand grinder. It's pretty fun and brings out a great flavour profile. Awesome for when I don't feel like espresso or a cappuccino.

I could get you the Aeropress and Porlex hand grinder for R1200. Then you could use the paper filters that come with it or buy a Stainless Steel filter for R200.

What price without the hand grinder?

For now I would only use the Aeropress - the burr grinder I have is small enough to travel with, and fits easily into my luggage.

Hi

where can you get the stainless steel filter for aeropress ?

Hi

where can you get the stainless steel filter for aeropress ?

There's a coffee and tea shop in Bedford centre. They have in stock.

There's a coffee and tea shop in Bedford centre. They have in stock.

He's in Cape Town

Thanks all for the pricing - will compare prices in Hong Kong tomorrow before I return to SA.

The guys at Father coffee told me about a hand grinder that conveniently fits inside an Aeropress for travelling & storage. Does anyone have more info on this?