Coffee machine

I have the Bosch unit, works great for single drinks. I use it extensively to warm my cups before making coffees. Not to sure about the temperature accuracy though.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting water dispenser what do you guys think?

http://www.metelerkamps.co.za/product/bosch-water-dispenser/

Also anyone had a look at the Bibo before? http://bibo.co.za/pricing-purchase/

Also what would you recommend for a travel coffee kit? Seems a Porlex or Skerton grinder with an Aeropress is the lightest and most compact option? How much PT is it to clean and is it durable? Single cup French press could also be an option. Easy to rinse.

We have an office bibo - useless thing in my opinion..... Try a bialetti mokka pot to travel with - you can even use per ground coffee in desperation... And it works on just about any heat source.... Used a braai once after a few too many....

Interesting water dispenser what do you guys think?

http://www.metelerkamps.co.za/product/bosch-water-dispenser/

Also anyone had a look at the Bibo before? http://bibo.co.za/pricing-purchase/

Also what would you recommend for a travel coffee kit? Seems a Porlex or Skerton grinder with an Aeropress is the lightest and most compact option? How much PT is it to clean and is it durable? Single cup French press could also be an option. Easy to rinse.

I think a porlex grinder and Impress brewer will be a better travel combo. The Impress is less PT than the Aeropress.

More info on Impress Brewer: http://shop.gamilacompany.com/impress/features/

The price is similar to Aeropress.

We have an office bibo - useless thing in my opinion..... Try a bialetti mokka pot to travel with - you can even use per ground coffee in desperation... And it works on just about any heat source.... Used a braai once after a few too many....

I use a stainless steel Bialetti 10 cup when we go camping. A neat little trick I do, is to put a slightly wet Aeropress filter on the bottom of the perforated plate (the plate with the gasket around it). This prevents fines from entering the top chamber while brewing, and makes the moka pot perform better with inconsistent grind size. I use a Hario Skerton to grind when we camp.

Thanks that Impress looks cool will have a look. Moka pot is a bit big and heavy for me. I have travelled with one but I tend to fly to events a lot for work and only take a carry on so space and weight are at a premium.

Well, my Silvia arrived, but sadly it seems I'll need to get another grinder. The Breville Smart Grinder I have just can't grind fine enough. I'm trying to source some shims for it, which would sort that out, but not hoping to get anywhere.

Also tried the manual Hario grinder but it's finest step chokes the machine and one step off that is too coarse.

That being said, I managed to pull one semi-decent shot which made a nice cappuccino. Went through 1/2 kg off coffee to get it so was quite a costly cuppa. :)

Well, my Silvia arrived, but sadly it seems I'll need to get another grinder. The Breville Smart Grinder I have just can't grind fine enough. I'm trying to source some shims for it, which would sort that out, but not hoping to get anywhere.

Also tried the manual Hario grinder but it's finest step chokes the machine and one step off that is too coarse.

That being said, I managed to pull one semi-decent shot which made a nice cappuccino. Went through 1/2 kg off coffee to get it so was quite a costly cuppa. :)

When i got my Pavoni i went through a bag of cafe beans just dialing in, it happens ha ha

Whats happening to the coffee thread? So quiet?

My Cimbali needed a new pump so will get that back today i hope.

Been using my pavoni more with some Roast Republic beans with great success!!

Well, I contacted Breville Australia to ask for the specs of the shims they sent out to their customers for the grinder I have so I could try source some. I was 't even going to try the local agents who don't bother getting back on queries. Instead of giving me the specs, Breville sent me a set of shims which arrived two days ago. Since the I have been able to get a reasonable decent shot (imho, of course :) ). At least it didn't taste like wet, burnt toast. The grinder does clump quite a bit, but I can live with that for now.

Today I'm attending a home barista course at Colombo Coffee & Tea here in Durbs so I hope to learn a few things ( and pick up some more beans).

Good evening all ! Just 2 questions that I was wondering about ... 1. After pulling a shot do you clean your PF and put it back in your machine or do you leave it out? I have heard that leaving it out can cause your PF gasket/seal toe dry out and crack faster ? 2. Is it necessary toe do more than back flush your machine and wash your PF screen? I have got a filter on my water line so hope that it sort out dirty water ! and as far as I know cape town water is not "to" bad ! hope to hear from you all soon ! loving this page ! :clap:

No need to back flush after every shot. A rinse of the screen should suffice, followed by a wipe, to get any coffee that may be left behind. In fact rinse your PF when you flush the screen. Best to return it to the machine to keep it ready for next shot.

No need to back flush after every shot. A rinse of the screen should suffice, followed by a wipe, to get any coffee that may be left behind. In fact rinse your PF when you flush the screen. Best to return it to the machine to keep it ready for next shot.

Hi did not mean after every shot do I back flush. I do it more or less once a mouth ! but thanks for the rpl . :D

I need a backflush disc for my Cimbali, tried making a rubber disc but the water just goes right passed it. Will try grab one tomorrow.

I need a backflush disc for my Cimbali, tried making a rubber disc but the water just goes right passed it. Will try grab one tomorrow.

Rather don't, rather buy a blind filter. Should set you back around R30-50 bucks, pop out your filter from your handle, pop in the blind and flush. I actually recommend, if you have multiple portafilter handles, to set one up as a blind permanently, and toss out the single basket.

BTW backflush every time you finish using the machine in a domestic environment, and backflush with coffee detergent (TSP) weekly. Commercially, every 2 hours backflush, and detergent daily. otherwise coffee oils are going to make themselves known. And man they are bitter.

Yesterday I got a Severin Grinder for Aeropress and V60 brewing because I was getting tired of using the hand grinder.

It doesn't grind fine enough for espresso but it's really great and fast for manual brewing methods.

Got it for R1300 from Cape Coffee Beans.

post-19733-0-31221400-1409314520_thumb.png

post-19733-0-98191100-1409314596_thumb.png

I think it needs some beans to pass through it before it gets consistent though.

Edited by Fruity