Coffee machine

Bialetti just bought out a espresso machine + steam wand ... looks pretty cool. I know they also compatable with capsules & grounds.. (and it looks pretty damn funky)

Bialetti stove top a must in every italian household ... very cool, and a nice way to drink coffee ...

Its also not badly priced ... saw them in italy and didnt buy one ... Hind sight is .... not good.

Local coffee shop is stocking Bialetti.....4 cup going for about R350. Was too busy staring to remember the prices. The 10 cup was around R700. They also have the frothers as well, and they sell a very fine fresh roast drool.gif

They don't allow me there without supervision because apparently they need to clean the display windows afterwards...three times a dayblush.png

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not so crazy about coconut, but will definitely be going back for macadamian and hazelnut. Oh btw, I have crealto still left. Wela!

The Hazelnut is a winner in my book thumbup1.gif

I have been using this Hario Skerton hand grinder for a few months now, with good results in conjunction with the Aeropress.

post-4006-0-26317600-1355203609_thumb.jpg

The inner burr was a bit wobbly so I decided to mod it straight out of the box before the first use.

I machined a teflon bush and pressed it into the housing, and pressed three TLA810 needle bearings into the teflon bush. The shaft runs straight like an arrow and the grind is good for Aeropress or filter.

I don't think you will get a uniform enough grind for espresso though.

It takes about 2-3 mitnutes to grind enough beans for a strong cup, but I only drink coffee over weekends, so it's not such a big factor to me.

Next grinder will definitely be this one (OE Lido):

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-LIDO-Manual-Coffee-Grinder_p_4682.html

Oh yes, and like GBguy mentioned earlier on this thread:

The freshness of your beans(less than 2 weeks past roast date), and the quality of your grinder has a way bigger influence on the taste of the coffee than the machine you use to prepare it.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Oh yes, and like GBguy mentioned earlier on this thread:

The freshness of your beans(less than 2 weeks past roast date), and the quality of your grinder has a way bigger influence on the taste of the coffee than the machine you use to prepare it.

Couldn't agree more! My wife bought be a little Krupps grinder for my birthday. I used to get my coffee ground for me in 250g portions and I thought it was the shiz. Using the same beans, but grinding them fresh makes a different cup of coffee. I think the aromas after grinding play a huge part in the whole process as well.

Manual coffee is quite therapeutic...

Local coffee shop is stocking Bialetti.....4 cup going for about R350. Was too busy staring to remember the prices. The 10 cup was around R700. They also have the frothers as well, and they sell a very fine fresh roast drool.gif

They don't allow me there without supervision because apparently they need to clean the display windows afterwards...three times a dayblush.png

Yeh i unfortunately have a problem too ...

I have 5 Bialettis - with the exception of the funky looking machine (the one which got left behind)

The most expensive bialetti you can get in Italy is about 39 euro...

Mukka express 2 cup - the only 1 i dont like.

Talking abut good coffee, Damn I had an excellent and I mean a properly excellent enjoyable, fantastic, makes me wanna go back for another good cappucino at, wait for it, not a coffee shop, but............ a bicycle shop, Complete Cyclist in Hout Bay Cape Town..... Damn it was that good...clap.gif drool.gif

Just a query regarding beans. I have read that the beans need to be kept in an airtight container I keep them in the bag I bought them with a peg) in a cool dark place to "prolong" their flavour. How much does it affect them by putting them into the top of your grinder and leaving them there.

I am currently decanting beans as I need them to grind. I use around 250g of coffee a week at home.

Just a query regarding beans. I have read that the beans need to be kept in an airtight container I keep them in the bag I bought them with a peg) in a cool dark place to "prolong" their flavour. How much does it affect them by putting them into the top of your grinder and leaving them there.

I am currently decanting beans as I need them to grind. I use around 250g of coffee a week at home.

Sealed in an airtight container in a VERY cold freezer keeps them the best - but better to just use them within the first 2 weeks after roastinig.

It does make a noticable taste difference after a couple of weeks - split up a packet and freeze some and leave some out on your grinder - then try them both after 3 weeks or so and you will notice the difference easily - UNLESS they were stale (i.e. more than 14 days post roasting) to start with... then you might or might not be able to tell the difference.

Sealed in an airtight container in a VERY cold freezer keeps them the best - but better to just use them within the first 2 weeks after roastinig.

It does make a noticable taste difference after a couple of weeks - split up a packet and freeze some and leave some out on your grinder - then try them both after 3 weeks or so and you will notice the difference easily - UNLESS they were stale (i.e. more than 14 days post roasting) to start with... then you might or might not be able to tell the difference.

Thanks! My roaster is kind enough to put the roast date on the packet. I normally pick them up within a week of being roasted and they get used the next week so that is within the two week cycle time. I might take some and pop them in the freezer and see if I can tell the difference.

Edit: that's what scares me about buying "retail" beans. No idea how long they have been sitting on the shelf or how long they have been in the supply chain...

Edited by Grebel

Edit: that's what scares me about buying "retail" beans. No idea how long they have been sitting on the shelf or how long they have been in the supply chain...

Retail beans are way too old.... even the best packing methods do not stop them staling - no good for espresso at all, although the better ones will pass under a ton of milk...

Retail beans are way too old.... even the best packing methods do not stop them staling - no good for espresso at all, although the better ones will pass under a ton of milk...

I heard that the other day. They reckon most bad espresso can be fixed with milk. Except the rubbish I had down the South Coast.... I still lose sleep based on the fact that I paid for that rubbish and kept my mouth shut....

I heard that the other day. They reckon most bad espresso can be fixed with milk. Except the rubbish I had down the South Coast.... I still lose sleep based on the fact that I paid for that rubbish and kept my mouth shut....

Can't fix it, just hide the k...k taste... personally I prefer not to waste good espresso in milk.

Of course - espresso by definition is not served with milk... :) but only the brave (insane) try espresso in resturants in SA - few coffee shops can even do it in a palatable way - no wonder people in SA think espresso tastes bad - it does - because the barista has no clue, and the coffee is old.