Coffee machine

Ohhh yes the rule of 15's forgot about that. I knew it was somewhere around 4 weeks. So if my beans have a roast date of two weeks ago and I finish them within a week I'm good.

I have heard that beans need to rest for a week after they have been roasted. Any truth in that? Something about being able to extract the full flavour from them. I have heard that if you grind them wiithin a week of them being roasted, the coffee can be bitter. Doubt that my pallette is developed enough to pick up the difference though.

Hence also the reason for those one way valves in some of the coffee bags - to allow the Co2 to escape

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They degass (release CO2) heavily in the 1st 48-72 hours of roasting so rule of thumb seems to be to use them only after that.

So heavily that they have to put a valve in the bag so it does not pop...

If you use the beans in the first couple of days post roast, then you get a HUGE amount of crema - and the flavour does develop in the first week to 10 days, and then get progressively more 'dull' - generally After 48 - 72 hours they are fine to start using.

Some beans have interesting characteristics as they age - I find one of the popular roasters in SA's beans they do for a chain often gets very oily and develops strong roasting flavours about 3 weeks post roast - I don't like that taste particularly, but some people do.

So heavily that they have to put a valve in the bag so it does not pop...

If you use the beans in the first couple of days post roast, then you get a HUGE amount of crema - and the flavour does develop in the first week to 10 days, and then get progressively more 'dull' - generally After 48 - 72 hours they are fine to start using.

Some beans have interesting characteristics as they age - I find one of the popular roasters in SA's beans they do for a chain often gets very oily and develops strong roasting flavours about 3 weeks post roast - I don't like that taste particularly, but some people do.

They make an excellent cappuccino in my opinion, but it's not an Espresso blend for me as they claim it to be.

Like the bit of acidity, seems to cut through the milk.

More coffee to try :)

Is that ground coffee or beans...?

Not even I can go through that much coffee before it is stale... :)

6kg in a month... espresso's make up 95% of those 6Kg

edit: For about 20 staff at the factory

Edited by geraldm24

6kg in a month... espresso's make up 95% of those 6Kg

So that is 857 single espressos a month, or 428 doubles?

That equates to 28.6 singles a day, or 14.3 doubles - every day... 30 days a month.

If that's for a single person, that's a LOT of espresso - I max out at about 5 or 6 doubles a day... MAX....

So that is 857 single espressos a month, or 428 doubles?

That equates to 28.6 singles a day, or 14.3 doubles - every day... 30 days a month.

If that's for a single person, that's a LOT of espresso - I max out at about 5 or 6 doubles a day... MAX....

The quantity is for all staff at the (Italian) company I work for... 6-8 espressos per ex-pat per day (6 days per week).

I'm on about 4-5, including a cappuccino

it varies between 6-8Kg depending on the number of visitors (technicians).

Edited by geraldm24

Hence also the reason for those one way valves in some of the coffee bags - to allow the Co2 to escape

Rubbish ... it is there solely to allow you to smell all the beans on sale over and over again, spending nearly and an hour in the store before finally making the final decision on what you want :ph34r:

Now to work on my pouring technique :)

Too much stretch in that milk - the bubble is too big still - you should almost not be able to see any bubbles at all - the proverbial wet paint is what you are after.

I could suggest you practice with dishwashing soap and water..... certainly it is easier to see what you are doing and the effect it is having - cheaper than practicing with milk - unless you have friends around... in which case they are not allowed to drink espresso...

Too much stretch in that milk - the bubble is too big still - you should almost not be able to see any bubbles at all - the proverbial wet paint is what you are after.

I could suggest you practice with dishwashing soap and water..... certainly it is easier to see what you are doing and the effect it is having - cheaper than practicing with milk - unless you have friends around... in which case they are not allowed to drink espresso...

But I don't see any bubbles? Haha well a lot better than before, but I see what you mean. Need to do the soap thing at some point. I don't have friends :P