Cadence Nutrition

Hi Jeroen

Any plans of Cadence bringing out some fizzy electrolyte tabs in the near future? That is the only cadence product missing from my artillery at the moment :clap:

We are looking at this. 

However, we will only ever provide a product with any ingredient based on sound scientific principles.

The rationale for an electrolyte only solution is very limited.

The only scenarios that could make this product  effective are:

1) Drinking the electrolyte solution while consuming carbs in another form (e.g our soon to be launched bars).

2) Using an electrolyte solution to replace fluid losses during the time between stages in a stage race.

Those scenarios are quite limited. We will never consider selling anything because it is a fad or purely based on market demand. I think that would be disingenuous to our ethos. So justifying bringing such a product to market is difficult (even though making electrolyte tabs is very easy and cheap and the margin on the product would be massive). 

Regards,

Jeroen

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi 2 x 2

Our CarboFuel is gluten and dairy free.

Try that.

Regards,

Jeroen

Yes I know, but should a endurance fuel not include Protein?

We are looking at this. 

However, we will only ever provide a product with any ingredient based on sound scientific principles.

The rationale for an electrolyte only solution is very limited.

The only scenarios that could make this product  effective are:

1) Drinking the electrolyte solution while consuming carbs in another form (e.g our soon to be launched bars).

2) Using an electrolyte solution to replace fluid losses during the time between stages in a stage race.

Those scenarios are quite limited. We will never consider selling anything because it is a fad or purely based on market demand. I think that would be disingenuous to our ethos. So justifying bringing such a product to market is difficult (even though making electrolyte tabs is very easy and cheap and the margin on the product would be massive). 

Regards,

Jeroen

Agree with this hey... It seems too many brands bring out these carb free electrolyte drinks to fit in with their ridiculous LCHF diets and they are sold a load of marketing hogwash and fall for it hook line and sinker. They might as well drink plain water with a pinch of salt and a slomag and they would probably be better off.

Hi Jeroen

Very excited by the news of your light citrus flavour as I love the science behind your products BUT they are tooooo sweet and some tooooo artificial tasting for me (cant figure out how anyone over 8 yrs can drink 100% fake creme soda flavour never mind on a long ride when my taste receptors are heightened 5 times and anything sweet makes me feel NAUSEOUS as hell! ). BUT I cant find it! Our two local stockists don't have it and cwc has Carbofuel "citrus" is this the light and is it less SWEET? No Marathon Citrus! I am using USN Purefit (tho I dislike all USN products prior to this range, and I just dislike the company!). Is it not better to make a new range that is natural and less SWEET and less KIDS 100% FAKE TASTING flavours???? COME ON MAN we want to support you and your products but we must be able to find them to buy! PLEASE!

Cheers

Colin

Yes I know, but should a endurance fuel not include Protein?

2 x 2, that's a good question.

Early research studies conducted on supplementation showed that exercise performance could be increased when protein was ingested together with carbohydrate in comparison to exercise with ingestion of carbohydrate alone.

That's why when we launched our range we included protein in all of our drinks (Classic Energy & Marathon).

However, these researchers failed to control the overall caloric content of the trials. When  the caloric content was adjusted so that both drinks had the same calories the studies failed to show any benefit to performance from protein ingestion.

For this reason we removed Classic Energy from our product line and added CarboFuel (a carbohydrate and electrolyte drink without protein).

However, protein intake during exercise does result in improved performance during any subsequent exercise.

In very prolonged exercise sessions you will also start to scavenge protein from working muscles. This will reverse some of the strength gains you have made in training.

The take home message?

When it's all about that one big day (Argus, SA champs or World Champs) you can stick to carbs alone.

If you're training hard and need to recover well so that you can train hard again in the next session or when you are racing a stage race, then the addition of 10-15% protein will accelerate your recovery and training adaptation as well as your performance in later stages. In addition, in the first 2 hours of a very long ride, drink a protein containing drink. Then switch to a protein free solution later on (when the high levels of physiological and GIT stress mean that  your gut will cope better without protein).

Hi Jeroen

Very excited by the news of your light citrus flavour as I love the science behind your products BUT they are tooooo sweet and some tooooo artificial tasting for me (cant figure out how anyone over 8 yrs can drink 100% fake creme soda flavour never mind on a long ride when my taste receptors are heightened 5 times and anything sweet makes me feel NAUSEOUS as hell! ). BUT I cant find it! Our two local stockists don't have it and cwc has Carbofuel "citrus" is this the light and is it less SWEET? No Marathon Citrus! I am using USN Purefit (tho I dislike all USN products prior to this range, and I just dislike the company!). Is it not better to make a new range that is natural and less SWEET and less KIDS 100% FAKE TASTING flavours???? COME ON MAN we want to support you and your products but we must be able to find them to buy! PLEASE!

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

We have converted most of our range to low sweetness drinks already. In addition, we are switching all of our products to 100% natural versions. This process is already 80% complete.

The following drinks are already low in sweetness and taste:

Marathon - Natural citrus

Marathon - Passion Fruit natural (natural version can be distinguished by the green bar on the label)

CarboFuel - Natural citrus 

CarboFuel - Red Berry (1kg tubs)

We have more than doubled the number of cycle stores that stock our products in the last 4 months. However, the rate that the stock moves has caught them a little by surprise and we have had to work hard to get store owners to increase the order sizes to keep up with demand. In addition we need to work harder to get them to stock the correct flavors and products.

e.g. CWC gets a new order delivered every week but we still can't keep enough Marathon on  the shelves. We have now increased the order sizes further to cater for the demand.

If you can't find our product at your LBS then please tell them you want it and also which flavors you want. Let us know too and we will ensure that they get stock.

Thanks,

Jeroen

Hey Doc,

Good on you for popping in and answering all the questions the way you do, in nice detail no less. Decent client-centric behaviour. I guess one or two bike shops could learn from that.

FINALLY found stock at design in motion...

Although I LOVED the creme soda flavour (found it just delicious) the new Natural Citrus Marathon is an awesome awesome drink - well done.

Personally I think the decision to use Omnico for the distribution is the route of why EVERYONE complains about finding stock difficult

2 x 2, that's a good question.

Early research studies conducted on supplementation showed that exercise performance could be increased when protein was ingested together with carbohydrate in comparison to exercise with ingestion of carbohydrate alone.

That's why when we launched our range we included protein in all of our drinks (Classic Energy & Marathon).

However, these researchers failed to control the overall caloric content of the trials. When  the caloric content was adjusted so that both drinks had the same calories the studies failed to show any benefit to performance from protein ingestion.

For this reason we removed Classic Energy from our product line and added CarboFuel (a carbohydrate and electrolyte drink without protein).

However, protein intake during exercise does result in improved performance during any subsequent exercise.

In very prolonged exercise sessions you will also start to scavenge protein from working muscles. This will reverse some of the strength gains you have made in training.

The take home message?

When it's all about that one big day (Argus, SA champs or World Champs) you can stick to carbs alone.

If you're training hard and need to recover well so that you can train hard again in the next session or when you are racing a stage race, then the addition of 10-15% protein will accelerate your recovery and training adaptation as well as your performance in later stages. In addition, in the first 2 hours of a very long ride, drink a protein containing drink. Then switch to a protein free solution later on (when the high levels of physiological and GIT stress mean that  your gut will cope better without protein).

Thank you for your reply.

I was more thinking about stage races.  I am currently preparing for the Panorama tour.  i am Lactose and Gluten intollerant and therefore I asked if you have a product that contains protein that is not derived from milk.

Thank you for your reply.

I was more thinking about stage races.  I am currently preparing for the Panorama tour.  i am Lactose and Gluten intollerant and therefore I asked if you have a product that contains protein that is not derived from milk.

Are you very lactose intolerant? I mean if Cadence Nutrition were to replace the whey protein concentrate with the more expensive isolate, would that work for you - or do you still react to isolate?

Doc, what do you think the price increase would be on a tub of Marathon if you switched to isolate? Too much?

Edited by tombeej

Are you very lactose intolerant? I mean if Cadence Nutrition were to replace the whey protein concentrate with the more expensive isolate, would that work for you - or do you still react to isolate?

Doc, what do you think the price increase would be on a tub of Marathon if you switched to isolate? Too much?

Lactose intolerance comes from the casien, I think and if they use Isolate it would help

Currently for recovery I use Chocolate Soya milk and L-Glutamine.  GI32 also have a recovery drink that contains Soya Protein.  I have heard many not so nice stories about Soya, so I am a little carefull using too much Soya products

Will be giving Cadence a go.

Got myself Carbo and gels( never used it before)

Test 2nite to see how my body reacts( not ideal situation ,,maar nou ja)

Real test will be Saturday( 99er) normally hits a nasty bonk at +-65km( +-2 hours into the race) for so 10km then fine after that again. Based on what I read here this should alleviate that problem

Been trying to find cadence nutrition around JHB south for two days now without any luck. Springbok pharmacy had some but they were oooooold. Any idea if and when some LBS's around here will start stocking CN?

Quickie, your website needs an update, the Carbofuel citrus info is not listed as the Marathon,  the reseller list needs a revamp as some no longer carry the product. Looking forward to trying out the carbofuel tomorrow morning, finally found some albeit on the other side of Jozi!