Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

Pondering if I need to add shin guards to the knee guards order...

Skip the shiny guards, but for fast progression why not go all-in with skills classes?

Between that and the bunny-hop/Wheelie drills you plan to do you'll be flying down OG at Helderberg on Nov time.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pricing on ion shoes?

From the prices of their clipless version they are priced even higher than Five Ten. I speak under correction though because I have not seen what their flats cost.

From the prices of their clipless version they are priced even higher than Five Ten. I speak under correction though because I have not seen what their flats cost.

I googled upside down, with the exceptions of a few 510s on sale, the 2f0 and 5ten are pretty much the same price give or take.

I could only find 1 online store that listed Ion and they only carried the 1 clipless shoe.

Skater shoes work well too so if you have an old pair of vans or converse to use in the interim that would work better than stiff cycling shoes. 

I second this, I use a pair of old DC shoes, the chunky skate ones and they work as well as 5Tens. Boardriders sells them here for around R 1200.00 new (half the price of 5Ten shoes)  

I second this, I use a pair of old DC shoes, the chunky skate ones and they work as well as 5Tens. Boardriders sells them here for around R 1200.00 new (half the price of 5Ten shoes)  

People who have never ridden a decent pair of flat shoes love saying this. It is just not true.

Try a proper 5/10 and then tell me it again. 

Trundle round the neighbourhood in skate shoes maybe but its day and night the grip levels between these shoes........

People who have never ridden a decent pair of flat shoes love saying this. It is just not true.

Try a proper 5/10 and then tell me it again. 

Trundle round the neighbourhood in skate shoes maybe but its day and night the grip levels between these shoes........

At the end of the day, if you talking R1200 for a pair of skater shoes that "work well" then why not just bother spending the extra R800 on a pair of proper purpose designed shoes.

MTB shoes will be warrantied against MTB related issues, I ride them for a month and the soles gone they will give me a new pair, skate shop will tell me to f*ck off.

Sure, that is unlikely to happen, but I rather spend an extra R800 and know I am buying something for the correct purpose, will be covered if something does go wrong when used for the intended purpose than risk throwing away 1200 bucks on something apparently almost as good.

I spent 40k on a bike, pedals are over a grand, my saddle is also over a grand, why start counting pennies on the foot ware. You spend a small fortune getting your bike perfect for you and then all of a sudden the shoes are too expensive.

If you have shoes lying around that work, sure, but if you actively leave the house to go spend money then you may as well spend that money on the correct thing

At the end of the day, if you talking R1200 for a pair of skater shoes that "work well" then why not just bother spending the extra R800 on a pair of proper purpose designed shoes.

MTB shoes will be warrantied against MTB related issues, I ride them for a month and the soles gone they will give me a new pair, skate shop will tell me to f*ck off.

Sure, that is unlikely to happen, but I rather spend an extra R800 and know I am buying something for the correct purpose, will be covered if something does go wrong when used for the intended purpose than risk throwing away 1200 bucks on something apparently almost as good.

I spent 40k on a bike, pedals are over a grand, my saddle is also over a grand, why start counting pennies on the foot ware. You spend a small fortune getting your bike perfect for you and then all of a sudden the shoes are too expensive.

If you have shoes lying around that work, sure, but if you actively leave the house to go spend money then you may as well spend that money on the correct thing

Agreed, footwear is something that goes unnoticed when it is right, but can make a day out on the bike hell if it is wrong. I have bought cheap clipless XC shoes, and I have bought an expensive pair of Spaz shoes - the one makes my feet numb after an hout and flexes under power, the other has my feet feeling fresh after a 5/6hour ride - I'll let you guess which does what.

Same goes for flats - I have tried skating shoes - results were cramping feet, zero grip, and lots and lots of flex when pedalling, not to mention clearly damaged shoes - I gave up on the idea of flats after one ride. I have recently started using Five Tens, and it is a day and night difference - amazing grip, good pedalling, and comfy feet. I would go as far as to say that riding with skate shoes can't even be compared to riding with proper flats intended for mtb. 

Sure, you don't have to buy Five Tens, but Spaz make a reasonably priced (compared to other mtb brands) flat shoe - and if you are comparing 2k to the price of some skate shoes then it is not much more - besides you will go through a couple pairs of skate shoes while you go through one pair of Spaz/Five Tens - so in the long run it's cheaper to just buy proper shoes from the start - that is of course if you are ready to commit to flat pedals.

Agreed, footwear is something that goes unnoticed when it is right, but can make a day out on the bike hell if it is wrong. I have bought cheap clipless XC shoes, and I have bought an expensive pair of Spaz shoes - the one makes my feet numb after an hout and flexes under power, the other has my feet feeling fresh after a 5/6hour ride - I'll let you guess which does what.

Same goes for flats - I have tried skating shoes - results were cramping feet, zero grip, and lots and lots of flex when pedalling, not to mention clearly damaged shoes - I gave up on the idea of flats after one ride. I have recently started using Five Tens, and it is a day and night difference - amazing grip, good pedalling, and comfy feet. I would go as far as to say that riding with skate shoes can't even be compared to riding with proper flats intended for mtb. 

Sure, you don't have to buy Five Tens, but Spaz make a reasonably priced (compared to other mtb brands) flat shoe - and if you are comparing 2k to the price of some skate shoes then it is not much more - besides you will go through a couple pairs of skate shoes while you go through one pair of Spaz/Five Tens - so in the long run it's cheaper to just buy proper shoes from the start - that is of course if you are ready to commit to flat pedals.

One of my favourite related quotes was from Dody on GMBN, "Only a rich man buys cheap tools", same applies for gear.

As we say in SA "Goed koop goed koop, is duur koop".

Pricing on ion shoes?

I googled upside down, with the exceptions of a few 510s on sale, the 2f0 and 5ten are pretty much the same price give or take.

I could only find 1 online store that listed Ion and they only carried the 1 clipless shoe.

They have 2 versions, both sub 2k. I went to the brand stable in Blouberg to try em on but they didn't fit my feet (high instep and wide forefoot)

2FO's are R 2,100 or so. Their SKITCH shoes are R 1,600 but don't have as much protection on the toe box. 

Cheapest 5-10's I've found are the freerider pro @ Pinned for R 2,100 or so but I can't fit in them anymore due to the different sizing since Adidas took over. 

They have 2 versions, both sub 2k. I went to the brand stable in Blouberg to try em on but they didn't fit my feet (high instep and wide forefoot)

2FO's are R 2,100 or so. Their SKITCH shoes are R 1,600 but don't have as much protection on the toe box.

Cheapest 5-10's I've found are the freerider pro @ Pinned for R 2,100 or so but I can't fit in them anymore due to the different sizing since Adidas took over.

I stand corrected then. Sub 2k is awesome for a pair of proper mtb shoes! Even more of an argument to invest in a proper pair of mtb shoes :)

Can you buy direct from brand stable ?

Also anyone have a pair of Bontrager Flatline

Edited by Twaatie

RRP on 2FO's is 2K according to Spaz www

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/2fo-flat-2-0-mountain-bike-shoes/p/134052?color=228319-134052

Something simple

02c54d4ba51e53ad0babd6fc4b0a815a.jpg

Wheels going in for warranty replacement so I thought I'd strip the frame for a spit n polish.

Good thing I did. Top headset bearing ISM.

note to self: check assembly after someone else worked on your bike.....