Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

fiveten_kestrel.jpg

So I have a pair of these, and have a serious question for guys who have these or similar.

My shoes feel like the "box" section pushes into the shoe. The best way to explain it is to say it feels like there is a 80mm x 40mm protrusion into the shoe that you physically feel like you are standing on all the time you pedal.

It puts pressure to the point that my toes will go numb on a 6km little trundle.

If I look down the inside though it does not look like it is pushing through..........

I assume this is not normal right?

Anybody care to tell me if they have the same issue.

Pics posted are not my actual shoe but the same model.

What pedals are you using?

Reason I ask is that the cleat box is very shallow. So when used with Shimano spd pedals (5.10 Maltese Falcon with Shimano XT Trail pedals) the shoe does not make any contact with the pedal - only contact point is the cleat/spd interface meaning all the pressure is pushed through the one point leading to numbness.

I made the switch to Cranbros Mallet E pedals - they have interchangeable pads next to the cleat interface which raises the contact point and giving the shoes a contact point on the pedal body which spreads the weight load and solves the numbness issue for me.

I don't know if the shallow cleat mount is an issue on shoes other than the Maltese Falcon, but serious oversight from 5.10 IMO. Pretty much means that the shoes are not compatible with Shimano pedals.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not cycling specific, but I will be using this purchase to commute to work (on both the petrol powered and leg powered 2 wheel steeds).

In fact it was purchased on my commute to work where I happened to ride past the local Suzuki dealership and they happened to have some in stock  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :lol:

Kriega R20

kriega_r20_backpack_black_750x750.jpg

Simple and spacious (20L). Classic Kriega rugged quality finish.

http://lghttp.26404.nexcesscdn.net/80B717/aerostich/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/960x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/9/1/9196_1b_1.jpg

Uses Kriega's Quadloc system (similar to USWE) in order to free up arms and transfer weight to torso from shoulders.

Can take hydration bladder and back protector insert (CE Level 2)

kriega-r20-backpack-us10.jpg?format=1000

Also allows for expansion via the adding of a 5L or 10L dry pack (I have a 10L lying around)

All in all, top stuff from Kriega as usual.

That chest strap looks really comfy.

attachicon.giffiveten_kestrel.jpg

So I have a pair of these, and have a serious question for guys who have these or similar.

My shoes feel like the "box" section pushes into the shoe. The best way to explain it is to say it feels like there is a 80mm x 40mm protrusion into the shoe that you physically feel like you are standing on all the time you pedal.

It puts pressure to the point that my toes will go numb on a 6km little trundle.

If I look down the inside though it does not look like it is pushing through..........

I assume this is not normal right?

Anybody care to tell me if they have the same issue.

Pics posted are not my actual shoe but the same model.

That's because there's a metal plate of approximately the same size of the cutout, that is in the sole of the shoe. That's what you're feeling. It's embedded in the sole, but it's still there. It's where almost all teh pressure between the pedal and your foot is going to, and as stiff as the rubber of the sole is at that point, you're always going to feel it. Which is also why some MTB shoes have full length plastic / carbon soles. So that the pressure is along the whole shoe as opposed to a small section. 

Mallets / DX pedals and all the ones with pins and / or adjustable cages will allay this, to some extent. On 520's or XT trail pedals, you'll DEFINITELY feel it. 

This has been a dream of mine for a wile, thinking of building my own. [emoji848][emoji57]

Pricing on these are just silly in SA.

I was a bit nervous placing my bikes on this as it only joins on the towbar. Put it on last night, man it’s sturdy. Am amazed just how sturdy. This is the bottom of the range version so some jobs are manual but for what I need it for it’s perfect.

Gatvol of the back of the hatchback systems... bought it off eBay for 98 quid. Second hand but in perfect,condition. Took me around 30 minutes to put it all together et voila.

Nice, I've just taken mine to get modded, they seem built for shorter, narrower bikes, my bike doesn't fit on its own and definitely won't with side by side with another.

Nice, I've just taken mine to get modded, they seem built for shorter, narrower bikes, my bike doesn't fit on its own and definitely won't with side by side with another.

Takes my 2 road bikes no problem, takes our 2 MTB bikes no problem. Not made for 29 ers according to my research though.

Bikes are XL or L . Wife’s MTB a medium.

What pedals are you using?

Reason I ask is that the cleat box is very shallow. So when used with Shimano spd pedals (5.10 Maltese Falcon with Shimano XT Trail pedals) the shoe does not make any contact with the pedal - only contact point is the cleat/spd interface meaning all the pressure is pushed through the one point leading to numbness.

I made the switch to Cranbros Mallet E pedals - they have interchangeable pads next to the cleat interface which raises the contact point and giving the shoes a contact point on the pedal body which spreads the weight load and solves the numbness issue for me.

I don't know if the shallow cleat mount is an issue on shoes other than the Maltese Falcon, but serious oversight from 5.10 IMO. Pretty much means that the shoes are not compatible with Shimano pedals.

I am using a set of flats, the Spank Oozy trails. so I am not clipped in and would expect to have even pressure over a larger area. Not just the "clip-box" for lack of a better word.

The square pressure makes me believe this box has somehow separated from the sole, but I have not removed the cover at the bottom as once it is removed, well that's it and I don't plan on riding clipped in, ever.

That's because there's a metal plate of approximately the same size of the cutout, that is in the sole of the shoe. That's what you're feeling. It's embedded in the sole, but it's still there. It's where almost all teh pressure between the pedal and your foot is going to, and as stiff as the rubber of the sole is at that point, you're always going to feel it. Which is also why some MTB shoes have full length plastic / carbon soles. So that the pressure is along the whole shoe as opposed to a small section. 

Mallets / DX pedals and all the ones with pins and / or adjustable cages will allay this, to some extent. On 520's or XT trail pedals, you'll DEFINITELY feel it. 

See above.......

I am using a set of flats, the Spank Oozy trails. so I am not clipped in and would expect to have even pressure over a larger area. Not just the "clip-box" for lack of a better word.

The square pressure makes me believe this box has somehow separated from the sole, but I have not removed the cover at the bottom as once it is removed, well that's it and I don't plan on riding clipped in, ever.

See above.......

Maybe the fact that it's a different density to the rest of the sole, and it's affecting you due to that? Rest of the sole deforming juuust enough to make it protrude, even if it's a fraction of a millimetre?

Edited by Cptmayhem

See above.......

Why's you buy clipless shoes then?

I think that box is seperate from the sole. If I were you I'd try swing those shoes and buy some Freeriders that are made for flats.