2012 94.7

Agteros

Ghandi square I felt was a bit of a fail. Nearly had a nasty prang there with some dude who thought it a good idea to swing in from the right and cut me off. Not his fault though, there seemed to be about 3 ways to tackle it?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report ibruegge, glad you enjoyed it :-)

My first 94.7. Flew up from Cape Town yesterday. That was about the only thing that worked out: bike got damaged on the flight - so I ran to the Expo trying to get help. Solomon's drove me to their workshop, spent 2 hours (at 3:00pm), no luck as right part not in stock - then they simply gave me a brand new bike of the show floor - no questions asked (couldn't believe it, in Cape Town we get charged 50 bucks to have a tyre inflated...).

Didn't sleep enough as at the News Cafe next to the hotel there were too many half naked girls as part of some Soviet launch. Started with a hangover... Still thinking Joburg is flat. Faaaa*. The new bike wasn't set up to suit me properly. After 10 kms I couldn't feel my hands. Then I lost my water bottle on a fast down hill after hitting a pothole. Faaa*. Then my bag unzipped and my multi tool hit the road at 65km/h. Faaa*. Then I hit bottom somewhere on the windy highway - dragged myself to the finish in 3:20. Got to the Polo field. My car was a rental and it was white. That's all I could remember. Cruising up and down the polo field hitting the button until my car beeped took forever. Trying to find Solomon's to drop bike off.... Now sitting a the airport, sipping cappuccino and reminiscing how awesome it all was. Thanks Joburg!

First 94.7. Really enjoyed it. Was aiming for 2:59 and got 2:57 so I was well chuffed. But it was seriously hard work. Plenty of room for improvement in my road riding skills, so I'm having to work harder to compensate. Need to do more group riding.

After my ride I went back to our corporate zone which was halfway up heartbreak hill. We had an unfortunate incident where a rider blacked out from what appeared to be heat exhaustion. We managed to flag down an ambulance but that one was unfortunately already occupied. We tried desperately cool the guy down before a second ambulance arrived to take him to hospital. I hope he's okay.

Edited by River Rat

Ibruegge,

What an adventure.

Geez!

Now to choose a new bike.

:-)

Man that is exciting. Mostly we only shop parts or upgrades - a whole new bike WHOAAA!

80km a guy was tacking fotos and a rider crasched into him looked very bad

Unfortunately this is a rookie mistake. seen it happen too much. its called depth of vision or view. when u look through your camera lens it is hard to judge the speed. in the zoom lens u see the riders being for away and ur brain is telling you its still fine u far away meanwhile the cyclists are barreling down on you and by the time u take the shot they only a few feet away...result, no time to move out the way.

His name is Willem.

He has multiple breaks in one leg, a dislocated wrist and sore ribs. He's been taken to Olivedale, they'll be operating on him tonight.

If you happen to speak to someone that knows him - please thank him on behalf of all the Hubbers and tell him we wish him a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately this is a rookie mistake. seen it happen too much. its called depth of vision or view. when u look through your camera lens it is hard to judge the speed. in the zoom lens u see the riders being for away and ur brain is telling you its still fine u far away meanwhile the cyclists are barreling down on you and by the time u take the shot they only a few feet away...result, no time to move out the way.

Was hoping it wasn't you, Capcha...

Hope everyone involved is oraait.

The car guards must have been involved. Of course they saw nothing when the police were questioning them! What a useless bunch of idiots. I'm sure its only a few of them that ruin it for the others as always...

When we parked this carguard tunes my brother inlaw he charge 20 bucks to look after the car. He told him off very nicely that you "maffa" do not determine the price.

This was my third time. First time was on my own on a road bike - 3:15. Then my GF and I did it together on MTB's with slicks (she didn't have a road bike) and it took all day (literally).

Today we did it together on road bikes and she did a 4:48 - which she was very happy with.

Now that she has a proper bike and I know she's ok to ride on her own I'll do it on my own next year and go for a PB.

Saw a few nasties - including an accident on a sharp corner between randburg and douglasdale (no idea where but there was an accident there on previous years too) and we rode through a pool of blood on the road just after leaving Diepsloot. Hope everyone recovers ok.

Was hoping it wasn't you, Capcha...

Hope every

one involved is oraait.

Aah u care, thats nice of you. Got some sick pics of froomy and Daryl. Will post all pics tomorrow. Next stop...DCw00t.gif

Just also a congrats to all of you who finished and who tried clap.gif Was really hot and windy out there

Edited by Capcha Photography

The only problems i had were cramps and more cramps. And let another person tell my that Jozi is flat... liars, all of them.

I suffered the same at 52 kays and had to nurse it. But I found this wheel and this dude made the N14 look flat powering past big groups.

Good seeing you out there today rouxtjie.

Same here dude, had a disaster race, my boet got to 71km and then he couldnt even walk never mind ride, heartbroken for him, still proud though. My 32 x 18 were perfect for riding with him, but by myself I spinned like a top....

I suffered the same at 52 kays and had to nurse it. But I found this wheel and this dude made the N14 look flat powering past big groups.

I never sat on a wheel once. Didnt really have an opportunity to do it. between 75 and the end the cramps didnt stop. I had the fitness but not the legs. Was embarressing, but could do nothing about it. Had 8 cramp block pills through the race, they had no effect at all