AM tyres... what you running?

patches

3C / TR / EXO 

is a light weight Xc type compound right ?  Will it hold up to pretoria's rocks ?

EXO should be fine. Will definitely hold up better than Spez's Control Casing. 

My opinion, however, is to try and get the DoubleDown casing (for the rear at least). 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little birdy told me the new Butcher 2.6 Grid with Gripton compound will be hitting shops very soon at about R800.

Great. 

Running 2,6  Schwalbes on my bike at the moment and loving it.    Nobby Nic front, Rock Razor rear.   

took a while to get the right pressures not to have a "double suspension"on the front, but loving the bike.

The Exo isnt as thin as a WTB light or Spaz Control casing.  Its not bad, I have one on the back of the ragley - and got a puncture at hakahana :/  but i think thats more down to my lack of line choice.  I have a spare aggressor at my place if you want to swing past to check out the casing.

I have only 2 rides on the 2.6 Butchers and am still trying like them. Both rides have been in damp conditions.

On the last ride, I rode through a small puddle that I failed to see and had formed in a kink on my usual ascent to Constantia Neck (a flat section).  The well weighted front slid big time despite minimal cornering speed or angle. I got a bit of a fright. Is this the tyre, the conditions or my riding? I can't help but imagine that a Magic Mary would barely have noticed the slop. 

I think its a better dry conditions tyre and that my pressures are a bit on the high side. More riding/playing will reveal all...

I have only 2 rides on the 2.6 Butchers and am still trying like them. Both rides have been in damp conditions.

On the last ride, I rode through a small puddle that I failed to see and had formed in a kink on my usual ascent to Constantia Neck (a flat section).  The well weighted front slid big time despite minimal cornering speed or angle. I got a bit of a fright. Is this the tyre, the conditions or my riding? I can't help but imagine that a Magic Mary would barely have noticed the slop. 

I think its a better dry conditions tyre and that my pressures are a bit on the high side. More riding/playing will reveal all...

Are they still glossy? I find spez tyres a little slippery until the release agent has worn off. Normally takes 2-3 decent rides on my trails. You'll especially notice this on rocks.

Are they still glossy? I find spez tyres a little slippery until the release agent has worn off. Normally takes 2-3 decent rides on my trails. You'll especially notice this on rocks.

There may well be a bit of that going on - they looked far more worn in by the end of the ride. 

Another 2.6 Butcher update. I dropped pressure to 20psi front and about 22 rear. Felt far better. Less bounce over rocks and hooked up well in a flat corner too. Admittedly grip was good after the rain, but I think this is a sweet spot for the trails in question. Bombing some rocky stuff at Tokai may be a different story. I did notice a bit more drag/tyre noise on the tar at the lower pressures.

Current Tyre Combo: Magic Mary / Rock Razor.

Awsome while is SA but here in the UK its a slighlty diffirent ball game, especially in winter.

Finding that the RR is not giving enough grip as its a bit more wet amd soft on the wood trails. The trails here are really focused on flowy more DH stuff so lots of berms, table tops, doubles, gaps, drops.....etc.

What different rear tyre can i pair with the aggressive MM thats a little more grippy all round but wont make it feel too draggy?

The High Roller seems popular also.

Can someone tell me if it would be worth getting this tyre with the 3c max terra compound for the rear as apposed to not having it at all? The 3c ups the price quite a bitm

Edited by AlanD

The High Roller seems popular also.

Can someone tell me if it would be worth getting this tyre with the 3c max terra compound for the rear as apposed to not having it at all? The 3c ups the price quite a bitm

3C should make the tyre roll faster and corner better, 2 things that the High Roller doesn't do quite as well as the DHR2.

3C should make the tyre roll faster and corner better, 2 things that the High Roller doesn't do quite as well as the DHR2.

So you would recommend the DHR2 iver the high roller for the rear then? Was actually trying to compare those two options.

I think the 3C max terra is the softer compound, making is roll slower. Had it on the rear, was a drag and wore off pretty quickly too, but grip was amazing.

Dual compound should br better option for a rear tyre, and 3C for front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by stefmeister

So you would recommend the DHR2 iver the high roller for the rear then? Was actually trying to compare those two options.

I don't speak from experience, only from reading a lot of forums of other people's experiences, but yes...people describe the High Roller as a drifty rear tyre and a front tyre that will suddenly wash without warning. I imagine it has amazing braking and accelerating traction though.

I think the 3C max terra is the softer compound, making is roll slower. Had it on the rear, was a drag and wore off pretty quickly too, but grip was amazing.

Yes, look out for 3C maxx speed, max terra and maxx grip. The idea is that the centre is a harder rubber compound that the side knobs(ie one inner rubber that makes up the casing and two for the knobs). The dual compound tyres have only one rubber for the knobs which may well be softer than the 3C centre knob rubber.

Yes, Its a softer compound for better grip but the rolling resistance is better than the mx grip on their range. Honestly dont think i need the extra grip on the rear as the MM has plenty of it. I think the DHF 2 (non 3C) should be a good option. With so many tyres out there, i juat want something with good all round grip that rolls pretty good.

If tyres were cheap then i would buy 3-4 one shot and test them all and choose...lol