Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

With all the "hype" about dropper posts And how great they are( I've been looking for one but broken gearbox on my car has placed it on hold). I am however starting to reconsider as a see quite a lot of droppers for sale I am classifieds.

Yeah.... I'll only sell mine if I get one with more drop for the same price. I have the giant switch contact. Think 2014 version.

It's a good investment.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.... I'll only sell mine if I get one with more drop for the same price. I have the giant switch contact. Think 2014 version.

It's a good investment.

New giant dropper goes for 2500. 100 / 125 / 150mm. 150 is just a tad taller than the old 100mm - talking about 5 to 10 mm longer from bottom of collar to seat rails.

For 65 dollars you can go wrong. Mine is only 90 mm, I am shortish (1,74) so this is perfect. There is some side to side movement. I believe they are all like that.

I have had it for about a year. I would not pay R2500 plus for a better dropper, I don't care how good it is. Would rather buy better brakes or some other kit.

The post was a bit tight to begin with, after a month or so and some oil it loosened up. I have also bought a few kits on line for the seat post. These kits are the plastic bushes that keep the post tight inside. So far I have used one. I have three left. When my one is done, I am going to buy another exactly like it. I reckon it has a couple of years left in it.

Whats your experince so far on it? Have you had a hydraulic one before to compare to?

I have not used a hydraulic post.

For 65 dollars you can go wrong. Mine is only 90 mm, I am shortish (1,74) so this is perfect. There is some side to side movement. I believe they are all like that.

I have had it for about a year. I would not pay R2500 plus for a better dropper, I don't care how good it is. Would rather buy better brakes or some other kit.

The post was a bit tight to begin with, after a month or so and some oil it loosened up. I have also bought a few kits on line for the seat post. These kits are the plastic bushes that keep the post tight inside. So far I have used one. I have three left. When my one is done, I am going to buy another exactly like it. I reckon it has a couple of years left in it.

I would think it should last a long time with a bit of maintenance here and there.

No seals to replace regularly or fluid or bleeding. Seems like a winner all round, except how it looks????. Function over for though I guess.

I would think it should last a long time with a bit of maintenance here and there.

No seals to replace regularly or fluid or bleeding. Seems like a winner all round, except how it looks. Function over for though I guess.

Yes, everything you say is true.

No seals to replace regularly or fluid or bleeding. Seems like a winner all round, except how it looks????. Function over for though I guess.

That's the only drawback for me, if you have a bike that's an engineering masterpiece and looks like a baus, then sticking one of those posts on is just not going to complete the picture.

That's the only drawback for me, if you have a bike that's an engineering masterpiece and looks like a baus, then sticking one of those posts on is just not going to complete the picture.

As it is for me. Its ugly,real ugly, but at the end of the day the simplicity of it has more advantages over its look and if you can overcome that then you golden but the question is, can you?

Recently did a three day stage race with lots of single track and lot's of changes in gradient, some of it atoms blind corners or short sharp switch back climbs at the end of a st techie descent.

My giant dropper post worked over time and preformed faultlessly every time. .......Also really appreciated the lindarets adaptor to run the std giant lever in a shifter fashion under the bars, it just made the ease of use so much better.

Besides the obvious usage of using a dropper on tech sections I also really appreciated being able to drop the saddle a couple of mm and being able to reduce the pressure on some tender parts towards the end of the race.

As mentioned by another in this thread, dropping the saddle on mild yet far descents does help with your best roadie aero impersonation and gets your body mass nice and low in the bike and giving you more confidence to just let the brakes of allowing the bike to just go.

Would never like to ride a mtb without a dropper post again, and should I ride a bike without one I most certainly will be stopping to drop the saddle by hand before descending.

• 3 months later...

Recently did a three day stage race with lots of single track and lot's of changes in gradient, some of it atoms blind corners or short sharp switch back climbs at the end of a st techie descent.

My giant dropper post worked over time and preformed faultlessly every time. .......Also really appreciated the lindarets adaptor to run the std giant lever in a shifter fashion under the bars, it just made the ease of use so much better.

Besides the obvious usage of using a dropper on tech sections I also really appreciated being able to drop the saddle a couple of mm and being able to reduce the pressure on some tender parts towards the end of the race.

As mentioned by another in this thread, dropping the saddle on mild yet far descents does help with your best roadie aero impersonation and gets your body mass nice and low in the bike and giving you more confidence to just let the brakes of allowing the bike to just go.

Would never like to ride a mtb without a dropper post again, and should I ride a bike without one I most certainly will be stopping to drop the saddle by hand before descending.

WTF is that.

712131999855.jpg

Nicer pic.... I haven't got one, but tried took Hairy's bike for a spin with it. Believe he imported it.  But ja, first thing I'm changing when getting rid of the shift..

Could also use an old bar end, just cut it shorter...