What is your true motivation for cycling?

The_Break

to know what hubbers are talking about...thats why.

everyone wants to be part of this elite community....... :clap:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of this month it will be a year ago since I started cycling at age 43.

Started because my daughter aged 11 wanted a bicycle.Then wife also wanted one for fitness.I was also overweight and unfit and joined in .My eldest daughter aged 19 also wanted to join in soon afterwards.

Within a week and 4 mountain bikes later we were regularly braving winter cold morning rides and weekends in the nature reserve outside our city.

The pain and suffering of getting fit from zero fitness was hard.

I enjoyed the adventure of riding difficult trails and seeing antelope at close range.Also my wife and kids did it with me and were loving it.The childlike enjoyment of riding a bicycle never leaves you even when you are way too old to be a child.

What impressed me the most was that mountain bikes are super tough compared to the bikes around when I was a kid.Even entry level mountain bikes can take serious trails rather well.Also these things went anywhere...tar, mud ,sand,gravel,hills mountains....anything.

Also tubeless with Stans sealant...what a pleasure...go anywhere no flat tyres etc...awesome....wish we had this stuff when I was a kid.....hated fixing punctures.

Then came the results....started losing weight rapidly...started eating healthier .

The competitive spirit is another aspect...doing races ...getting fitter...improving your skills and endurance...a constant challenge where the end of one is beginning of another.

I don't do it to socialize as such ,however I enjoy the cycling crowds and cycling friends.Visiting the LBS.....need I say more?

Cycling is very satisfying ....health wise ...general sense of well being....adventure and challenges etc etc etc.

My wife kids an I love it.

I dont suffer from helmet hair, thats reason enough

rapide exit of tea from nasal passages is not pleasant, especially cleaning up after .....

Been racing for 25 odd years , kind of forgot why i do it . guess its just habbit now :blink:

Started out with just wanting to complete the Argus cycle tour ..... in a moment of madness i entered........ 3 Tours and a DC later im still riding and i still dont know why :) ............. My wife say its madness ......

Oh yes .... and my son also started riding .......... and he also dont know why he loves it so much....

Then I'm definitely doing something wrong!

Thats why i still ride, TO GET them, still not there...

Apart from the usual fitness and mind blowing fun (sorry roadies, this does not apply to you ;) ) involved, I am amazed at the sense of belonging.

I have not been on here long, nor cycling for long... yet so many people are willing to help you out, even with non cycling stuff. It is a really cool community.

Edited by Joe_Cogs

Endorphins.

Cheap drug, makes you happy.

the sense of achievement, of clearing the obstacle or making it up the climb that you had to walk previously.

railing the corner, and getting that little bit of air...

riding down hills that you cant walk down...

and of course the whoops of delight my kids shout when we ride lekker singletrack - the nagging during the week : "when can we go ride our bicycles again??????"

Riding in the dark early mornings or after work while the sun is setting.

trying to shave seconds of the laps at Delta....

et al.....

Fun, fitness, and personal goals. Nothing like the feeling of finishing a race, legs burning, exhausted from the sprint and with the medal around the neck. great feeling.

and helps to keep the stomach off, lol

Edited by Soggy

Apart from the usual fitness and mind blowing fun (sorry roadies, this does not apply to you ;) ) involved, I am amazed at the sense of belonging.

I have not been on here long, nor cycling for long... yet so many people are willing to help you out, even with non cycling stuff. It is a really cool community.

I still rate you build a SS and call yourself Joe_Cog :P

Balance ........ work will kill you .... cycling might not. The outdoors........ being in a bubble can only suck. To introspect , to reflect ..... to interact...... to LIVE! To push hard or slow down ....... to sit up and take in ..... to get your head down and crank hard .......to be more...... to be less ..... to switch on, to turn on. While life passes by for most people, i pass them on my bike..... smile and wave........