What is your true motivation for cycling?

The_Break

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have, since childhood, loved bicycles and riding them. I still do! I like the competition, the sore legs, they guys and girls that climb hills like it's nothing. The technology changes, the banter...ii love it more than eating. If money allowed it, i would own a bicycle in every configuration possible so I could ride differently every day!

No motivation, just love it and ache for it when I have colds and flu...

I WANT TO RIDE MY BICYCLE

I run, I hike, I swim, I play golf, I scuba dive, I push around a few weights at gym......... endlessly turning my legs in circles for extended periods leaves me cold, to me, cycling is just another form of exercise.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Running would be my 1st choice but as my knees are cranky from my rugby days cycling is the next best thing that allows me to spend hours outdoors.

to pick up chicks

Second that! I just don't know what you mean when you say you forget about everything when you are "behind bars" ... in prison or in pubs? You are a strange guy. :ph34r:

I ride because when I was a boy my father made me race... at the time didn't appreciate it as much as i should have... now, I feel that I have to make up for a gap of 10 years and I cycle almost EVERY DAY!!!

Difficult to describe, best i can do is to say that when you are out there pushing yourself it is not the competing but the feeling of being one with the bike forgetting about all else and just concentrating on the moment, the freedom and that feeling of experiencing true Nirvana

Because I don't play rugby anymore so needed to fill that gap in my life with something else and thought it would be good to do something on my own and not a team sport again

Edited by fabes

Second that! I just don't know what you mean when you say you forget about everything when you are "behind bars" ... in prison or in pubs? You are a strange guy. :ph34r:

I ride because when I was a boy my father made me race... at the time didn't appreciate it as much as i should have... now, I feel that I have to make up for a gap of 10 years and I cycle almost EVERY DAY!!!

oh! you had one of those gender reassignment ops. I wasn't aware. I will try be more tactful with my comments. ;) haha!

but yeah, I get you! As a kid I thought of my bike as a punishment (mostly cos it was a Game bike)... now I see that sitting in a car is a punishment!

In fact just yesterday I rode to a local car dealership to look into purchasing a panel van. As much as I appreciate fast-n-fancy cars, traffic sucks, petrol is pricey, and "dicing" people in your boy racer is "commin".

In my view... cars are for transporting bikes :D

Running would be my 1st choice but as my knees are cranky from my rugby days cycling is the next best thing that allows me to spend hours outdoors.

:) - Yeah, running is tough on the knees and mine are getting wobbly as well, pulled something a few months back and still find it hard to run for more than a few ks on tar, so I am confined to running around mostly on the golf course right now.

Guest Frail4Life

Getting from A to B. Transport that now became a Passion for Others.

I did a DH race at Contermanskloof this sunday. It was raining,freezing and muddy. I finished in the bottom half of the time sheets, not my best result.

But there was a set of corners,right berm to flat switchback to left berm to right berm that had me grinning like an idiot all the way through. Stuff the race time, all I wanted to do was hit those corners again and again untill I got the drifting perfect. It was awesome! Thats why I ride...

Started out as a health thing, progressed almost insantly to fun and stress relief, then more recently just a tinge of competitive satisfaction (mostly against myself - satisfaction from pushing and improving)

to spend time with my 10year old. Rather that is why I started. Now I wanna cycle cause it makes me feel like a kid again. I want to feel that feeling of invincibility we used to feel as kids. And cycling is part of that I think. I am sure it will progress from there. But for now. being a kid with my kid is what keeps me ticking.