Northern Farms- REALLY?? WHY?

Neg

I received the following email in the Group email from Simon Nash- i am posting it here merely so others who ride there and are not on the mailing list can see/read what is going on.... do you guys want to lose Northern farms?? I have no affiliation to NF and am posting purely as a concerned user/rider...

"Dear Mountain biker

The use of Northern Farm by recreational users is an arrangement that is subject to the management of sensitive relationships between the recreational user group, Farm Management, Johannesburg Water and the surrounding community. It is also subject to very specific terms and conditions, one of which is that the only access and exit for recreational users other than equestrian users should be through the main gate.

An ever increasing hindrance to the good relationship between the user group and farm management is the insistence of some mountain bikers that they should use the gate on the Hills and Dales side of the farm to exit and enter the farm. In spite of our attempts to prevent this, and the placing of guards at the Hills and Dales Gate, some mountain bikers insist that this is their right, even going so far as to act in an abusive fashion towards the guards.

The purpose of this notice is to advise the user group of the risks that access to the farm may be lost for the entire user group because of the selfish and unacceptable behaviour of mountain bikers who insist on using this gate.

We therefore appeal to all concerned to respect the rules of the farm and only access and exit the farm via the main gate, failure to do so will result in those who insist on ignoring this rule being treated as trespassers in the interests of protecting access for all recreational farm users.

Any enquiries in this regard can be directed to members of the committee found on the website under contact.

Yours sincerely

Simon Nash

On behalf of Northern Farm Recreational User Group Committee "

Come on guys, it not necessary!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing that happened to being able to use your 4x4 on the beach. So because of the selfishness of a few the majority suffer. ????????????

It really does boggle ones mind at how stupid some people are... the level of arrogance in these "back doors" is astounding!! The shallow end of the gene pool.....

It's a pretty common thing, dude. We see it here in Tokai forest all the time. Just because someone has " been riding here for 15 years " or "the trail like, suck, guy" or "i come before the guard gets here so I don't need to pay"

They're all cut from the same cloth. And I hate to generalize, but the trend is that they all have high end bikes, and that seems to instil a sense of entitlement and outrage when they are not allowed to do something that is clarly wrong, but they believe that they can do it because of some deluded sense of self importance...

It's a pretty common thing, dude. We see it here in Tokai forest all the time. Just because someone has " been riding here for 15 years " or "the trail like, suck, guy" or "i come before the guard gets here so I don't need to pay"

They're all cut from the same cloth. And I hate to generalize, but the trend is that they all have high end bikes, and that seems to instil a sense of entitlement and outrage when they are not allowed to do something that is clarly wrong, but they believe that they can do it because of some deluded sense of self importance...

could not have said it better..... They are actually pathetic....

Edited by Neg

Yes it is wrong to break the rules and they are selfish idiots but what does that have to do with me exactly? I pay and use the correct entrance and exit. Am I now expected to go guard the gate? Is it assumed all mountain bikers come from some little village and we all hang out together and know each other so we can control each other?

Had the same drama at SBR a while back. If some idiot gets drunk and crashes into a traffic light should we all be stopped from driving on the road? The person breaking the rules doesn't give a dam about rules. Telling the people that do obey the rules that they better stop this behavior serves what purpose exactly?

It is my responsibility to pay and use the facilities in the correct way. It is the responsibility of the people running the facility to ensure that rules are adhered to. All that an appeal like this achieves is a few posts on a forum.

Yes it is wrong to break the rules and they are selfish idiots but what does that have to do with me exactly? I pay and use the correct entrance and exit. Am I now expected to go guard the gate? Is it assumed all mountain bikers come from some little village and we all hang out together and know each other so we can control each other?

Had the same drama at SBR a while back. If some idiot gets drunk and crashes into a traffic light should we all be stopped from driving on the road? The person breaking the rules doesn't give a dam about rules. Telling the people that do obey the rules that they better stop this behavior serves what purpose exactly?

It is my responsibility to pay and use the facilities in the correct way. It is the responsibility of the people running the facility to ensure that rules are adhered to. All that an appeal like this achieves is a few posts on a forum.

It's also your responsibility as a concerned citizen to confront those that are contravening the rules, or at least report them like a responsible person.

It's also your responsibility as a concerned citizen to confront those that are contravening the rules, or at least report them like a responsible person.

X100

And when your fav MTB riding spot (where ever it is) gets closed because of these W*@kers... you will be the FIRST one to WAAAAH police about it... but don't, because you did nothing to stop it... i dont see how you can say its got nothing to do with you.... do you condone theft and turn the blind eye to that too....??

Well first off the Farm is not my favorite spot but that is neither here not there I suppose.

Second I won't be the first to cry. Your physic abilities are a bit off but nice try.

What I will do is take my money and my bike and go to a mtb park that doesn't attempt to outsource its security for free to its customers.

Well first off the Farm is not my favorite spot but that is neither here not there I suppose.

Second I won't be the first to cry. Your physic abilities are a bit off but nice try.

What I will do is take my money and my bike and go to a mtb park that doesn't attempt to outsource its security for free to its customers.

WOW.... The Darwin force runs strong in this one...... Here is your sign......... :oops:

I think it's a choice, not a responsibility and no need for others to get aggro about it.

I think it's a choice, not a responsibility and no need for others to get aggro about it.

Ja, fair enough, but i think it's the responsible choice. And no aggro, just highlighting the need for responsible citizenry, as well as to point out that this is the perfect example of a case study on the quote "all it takes for evil to Triumph is for good men to do nothing"

The parallels are there, if only in the form of those contravening rules being substituted for evil